music books/bios that you would recommend (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 69
  • Views 10K
  • Watchers 1
O

and this is hilariously wordy

0385336780.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V51249207_.jpg

God it's been years since I read this, i'd love to go back and read it again.

There's a bit where he's describing people he works with that he doesn't like or something equally stupid and he's all "Their life is like that described by Thomas Hobbes, 'Nasty, Brutish and Short', oh woe was that day. That night I discovered Miles Davis, incidentally let me tell you about the time I was featured on a Miles Davis record"

The Johnny Marr autobiography is very enjoyable. All about his childhood / teenage years so far. Great music references most of us of a certain age would probably identify with - touring the record shops every weekend, bringing home your new vinyl which you bought based solely on its cover or word of mouth, becomming obsessed with something new every other week. He was a very cool young-fella. Never realised both his parents were from Athy.

He's just met Morrissey so hopefully it's not downhill from here.

IMG_wqnqfv.jpg

I just got a Keiji Haino biography, looks really great (very comprehensive, loads of photos and scans of old flyers and a CD of unreleased music) but it's all in French. This will be some work.

I enjoyed this, but am much more enjoying Will Carruthers book Playing the Bass with Three Left Hands. Great story teller.

Yeah, can't wait to read this. Heard great things. Was a big fan of Spacemen 3 and all back in the day.

Yeah, read this a while back, I really enjoyed it. Had me digging out the Spacemen 3 records for the first time in what seems like ages.

Just finished Art Sex Music by Cosey Fanni Tutti. It's basically a comprehensive list of arsehole things that Genesis P Orridge has done down through the years, to the extent that it feels like the book is primarily an opportunity to air grievances. He does seem like a dick alright.

The early part is alright, the Hull years and the early COUM stuff is all interesting but once Throbbing Gristle and the sex work get going in earnest it gets kinda tedious. The fun is gone, theres very little lightness and there is far too much mundane detail. Its way too long. Not a bad book as such, but I wouldn't recommend it either.

140337.jpg

picked this up last year but am only getting into it now. basically its a book dedicated to private press records in the states from the late 50s to early 90s. coffee table book of sorts; loads of great photos of really varied, pretty mental private press records but also some great interviews, essays and insights with collectors who have spent decades collecting/trading such records with other like-minded people. some great insights into the eccentric characters that made records like these. very entertaining read. and great to just flip through every so often.

51iLHVmMv4L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

half way through this at the moment. written as an oral account so there's about 200 voices contribute to the story. roughly 600 pages so a lot in there. Very entertaining and pretty funny at times. The vast majority of these people come across as absolute wankers that I would imagine hating having to be around but they make for decent reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back