music books/bios that you would recommend (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 69
  • Views 10K
  • Watchers 1
Wonderland Avenue by Danny Sugerman. Best book of any type ever. The motley crue one is pretty good too, as are all Neil Strauss's books (last i heard he's working on one with courtney love - yowza!!). Reading a book on Emo at the moment called "Nothing Feels Good" or something, pretty good stuff if you're interested in social networking sites, emo, mp3s and all that shit.

Frank Zappa: The Biography by Barry Miles is a good read...and i'm not even a fan of Zappa's music.

Seconded. Don't know if it counts fully but '45' by Bill Drummond is a pretty astounding book.

Edit: WEIRD. I posted this without reading all the posts and then saw Shitepipes post above!

akey
stnp.jpg

0823076695.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

ripitup.jpg
ULegends.jpg

047DC21E.JPG
shakey.jpg

Hmm, lots of good ones mentioned already.
Shakey
Lou Reed - The Biography by Victor Bockris

Just finished Hank Williams -So Lonesome. Good little read, but it's only 172 pages and struggles to keep it's subject alive much more than half way through.

Next up is Wild Years. Thanks again Si, (and Laura - I know you're lurking invisibly here somewhere.)

live through this is deadly. even if everett trues gushing style can grate a little at times.

"straight life" by art pepper is a great read, dunno anything about his sax playing...

some website said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Art Pepper (1925-1982) is generally considered the greatest alto saxophonist of the post-Charlie Parker generation. But Straight Life is much more than than a jazz book - it is one of the most explosive, yet one of the most lyrical, of all autobiographies, narrated on tape to his wife Laurie.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pepper refuses to tiptoe round many of the unpalatable episodes of a life that involved alcoholism, heroin addiction, armed robberies and five of what should have been his most productive years imprisoned in San Quentin. The result is an autobiography like no other, a masterpiece of the spoken word, shaped into a genuine work of literature.[/FONT]

Only a month till this

0283070277.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62199924_.jpg

this is great, not that you'll find it in any shops

0965274594.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

and this is hilariously wordy

0385336780.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V51249207_.jpg

live through this is deadly. even if everett trues gushing style can grate a little at times.

i lost it a few years ago but remember really enjoying it. the bit where courtney offers to let him into the greenhouse when kurt's body has just been removed, the greatest music journalistic opportunity in history he thinks but then changes his mind - they were mates after all. apparently everett true has one of the few existing tapes of the original albini mix of In Utero which cobain sent him when he believed the album would never be released in its original form....

The Police = good band in my opinion.

Sting = no matter how shit he gets, I'll never forget RUSSIANS.

I is John,

where did you get the B-52s book?

do you think russians is shit? i used to like it. i thought it was kind of christmassy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back