Most depressing structure in Dublin (2 Viewers)

The Schnapper

Golly gosh
Everytime im sitting in Boh's stadium at gigs I can't help but notice the big horrible grey building west of the ground. It's so dull looking and it makes me frown everytime I look at it :eek:

Dalymount-Park02.gif

You can just about make it out in the distance. Does anyone agree?

What structure makes you cry?

Does anyone know what type of business is run inside the building? I came up with the conclusion its an SSRI test centre

There was a thread about this a while ago.

Great big Georgian buildings, worth millions, in the city centre, that would make perfectly servicable appartments, lying derelict because some rich fucker just isn't bothered doing anything with it, and doesn't need to since the building appreciates by €500 every single day.

Seeing those sort of buildings depresses me.

Great big Georgian buildings, worth millions, in the city centre, that would make perfectly servicable appartments, lying derelict because some rich fucker just isn't bothered doing anything with it, and doesn't need to since the building appreciates by €500 every single day.

Another reason to smash the upper class

is there are better/closer photo?

This beauty on Hawkins Street / Poolbeg Street
hawkins_house_lge.jpg

It always seems to be dark and draughty when you're walking by.

Busaras is a deadly building. It's just needs to be cleaned up a bit and restored to it's former glory.

I like it too- designed by Atlanteans

not exactly what the threads about but theres a deadly little cottage opposite the railway station in Castleknock- I used to pass it on the bus and see the litle old lady tending the garden

It was immaculate, ivy all over it, looked great

then i noticed the ivy had gotten out of hand and the garden getting wilder and overgorwn

I guess she died

now its getting worse every time i see it

that depresses me

politapill - the building in question is glorious phibsboro shopping centra, home to the worlds worst tesco, a gym and a parade of hopeless shops. and an eddie rockets. and a carpark. It's due to be torn down at some future point and a whole new development is going to go in - apartments, shops, the works. Boh's voted recently to sell the ground and that's going to be amalgamated into it I think.

politapill - the building in question is glorious phibsboro shopping centra, home to the worlds worst tesco, a gym and a parade of hopeless shops. and an eddie rockets. and a carpark. It's due to be torn down at some future point and a whole new development is going to go in - apartments, shops, the works. Boh's voted recently to sell the ground and that's going to be amalgamated into it I think.
yeah, the whole phibs motif is one of depression, innit. god that tesco's depresses me. the area is like walford or summat.

i can't stand all these new and poorly constructed apartment buildings all over the gaff. where's the love?

ah that one. it's not sooooo bad. I remember having a converstaion with my mum about it. she was telling me about when it was built and how amazed everyone was - the future in concrete.

has anyone been to sheffield? or coventry?

The Civic offices in front of Christchurch- just terrible

and like the Judge Dredd movie, once done cannot be undone

200px-Bunker.jpg

and come to think of it they could have been designed for a sci-fi movie

by grey visionless robots

ah that one. it's not sooooo bad. I remember having a converstaion with my mum about it. she was telling me about when it was built and how amazed everyone was - the future in concrete.

has anyone been to sheffield? or coventry?

I have a soft spot for it too actually. It reminds me of my childhood and my dad's long running obsession with Phibsboro. Refusing point blank to go into town, but for some reason Phibsboro was fine, because it could be accessed from the Phoenix park. Ah dad.

The same thing re: the concrete applies to the towers in Ballymun. They got pushed through after an extremely hot and dry summer in which a huge amount of subsidence ocurred in the city, relegating tenements into completely unlivable accommodation and something had to be done quickly. So they got ushered in, and were hailed as a symbol of modern Ireland to begin with. And what a success they were.

yeah, the whole phibs motif is one of depression, innit. god that tesco's depresses me. the area is like walford or summat.

i can't stand all these new and poorly constructed apartment buildings all over the gaff. where's the love?

do you not like the baile phibs? I do, it's one of my fave Dublin neighbourhoods. Proper dirty auld Dubbelin still. Great Western Square, all those lovely roads in off the North Circular - lots of it is really nice. Equally lots of it is a dirty kip.

ive a growing fondness for hawkins house. i like the way its refuses to look nice, has a charm about it.

i really hate the social welfare office on North Cumberland Street. Cant find a photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back