Most depressing structure in Dublin (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know what type of business is run inside the building? I came up with the conclusion its an SSRI test centre

The “Tower” as it’s known used to have a Social Welfare office in it. Lasted until 1995. Garda Credit Union is also there and a free (mostly full during the day) car park. And it has a Miss Mary’s. Deadly.

And great views of the matches and gigs.

also busaras totally gets my vote. at street level it's awful admittedly but look up - it's a wonder of modernist architecture and a lot of the reason parts of it are gak now is because it was modified away from the original design.

http://www.irish-architecture.com/buildings_ireland/dublin/northcity/store_street/busaras/

[FONT=&quot]Actually, It’s as it was meant to be. Áras Mhic Dhiarmada to give it its full and proper title. The Bust Station, as Flann O’Brien wanted to call it (from the concept of the thing being a wimmin’s labour exchange and bus station). It was initially touted as a bus station only but that was knocked on the head very swiftly. I know this as I used to be the possessor of the file on its construction from start to finish. Now happily back in the archives thanks to me as opposed to being dumped by some clown who wouldn’t know the historical and cultural value of it. I think it’s a great building, though I do think Michael Scott is a bit over-rated. That file is amazing. There were also a few of the original “ideas” sketches by Scott, done on old civil service grease-proof. And some hilarious civil-service-ese and antics upon the official opening. Great stuff. The problem is the Bus Station part of it. That’s been knocked and changed and messed about with. But that’s a tiny part of the building. The interior of the Social Welfare part (the majority of the place) are a mix of old style and modern. Some of the detailing is fantastic. And the views from most of it are superb. They also have a book on it in the AMD Library.

[/FONT] Aye, I love that building. As much as I hate it.
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] Hawkins House is a disaster zone. But my personal bugbear is Liberty Hall. I think it’s the grossest building I ever saw. It has absolutely no architectural merit whatsoever. At least AMD has historical value, at the very least. The genius of putting Liberty Hall so close to Gandon’s Custom House is beyond me.

I like the lookof Dublin as a city but I think its getting ruined by all these shitty uber modern glass buildings. Just looks like shit and does not fit in with the look of the city at all.

do you not like the baile phibs? I do, it's one of my fave Dublin neighbourhoods. Proper dirty auld Dubbelin still. Great Western Square, all those lovely roads in off the North Circular - lots of it is really nice. Equally lots of it is a dirty kip.
i'm talking about the shopping, eh, complex, if you will. it's dirty and crowded and there's drunkards who accost. great western square is lahvley and all that, dahlink, but i had to confront some knackers the other day and kick tehm out of me complex for drinking cans o bulmers and shouting thems heads off, thus waking hectors huse from our reverie. and you know how precious us find the sleep, we does. gerrouvit, i said, in me best dubberlin, youse doan live here and tha in anyways BUH ri? dirty kids are allus hanging around, littering and spraying grafitti and being a general bunch of cunts. cops are called a couple of times a day. they were still at it at 11 last night. shouting thems heads off.

i think what this thread is really about is childcare, and are the government doing enough?

I like the lookof Dublin as a city but I think its getting ruined by all these shitty uber modern glass buildings. Just looks like shit and does not fit in with the look of the city at all.

Wood and Glass. The OPW love it. I have to say I hate it. I call it OPWising things. I use Trim Castle as an example. Great that you can get up to the roof, etc., but still….

It’s hardly the most lasting of materials. I mean, look at your average castle, how many of them have their windows left. Or their roofs/wooden flooring.

But it wins awards.

You got to love that fenestration.

Try living in Stoneybatter. Sunday nights are like armageddon. Every other day of the week is a glorious one of tripping over dog and HUMAN shit, and avoiding endless frightening people in their PJ's. I do quite like living there though. In my gated complex, far from the madding crowd.

Speaking of gross buildings, the council houses in Blackhall street and Queens street are nothing short of fucking revolting. I've tried to like them, Tom de Paor designed them (I think). But no, they're fucking horrible shite looking pieces of red shit.

Also, I'd say the council are now fucking raging they allowed that row of council houses to be built to the top of Smithfield Square, doesn't *quite* fit in with the neighbourhood these days.

i'm talking about the shopping, eh, complex, if you will. it's dirty and crowded and there's drunkards who accost. great western square is lahvley and all that, dahlink, but i had to confront some knackers the other day and kick tehm out of me complex for drinking cans o bulmers and shouting thems heads off, thus waking hectors huse from our reverie. and you know how precious us find the sleep, we does. gerrouvit, i said, in me best dubberlin, youse doan live here and tha in anyways BUH ri? dirty kids are allus hanging around, littering and spraying grafitti and being a general bunch of cunts. cops are called a couple of times a day. they were still at it at 11 last night. shouting thems heads off.

i think what this thread is really about is childcare, and are the government doing enough?

I think the whole 'Busaras is an architectural wonder' is a con. Who cares if the base is narrower that the second floor and the buses can get around it so easily if its ugly? and yes its grubbier than the original plan, which is less ugly but still U.G.L.Y.
Down with Buraras and down with architects who put cleverness before aesthetics

you're all going to want to live in phibsboro in a few years. something is afoot. you heard it here first...
I'd like to live there now. Can't afford it but. Keeping my ears out to hear what happens with the development of either Smurfitts in Glasnevin or the Phibsboro shopping centre.

I think the whole 'Busaras is an architectural wonder' is a con. Who cares if the base is narrower that the second floor and the buses can get around it so easily if its ugly? and yes its grubbier than the original plan, which is less ugly but still U.G.L.Y.
Down with Buraras and down with architects who put cleverness before aesthetics

I think it lokks cool with the clam shell thing going on and all.

shopping centre, dalymount, grangegorman, broadstone, mater, mountjoy, all about to be redeveloped

I know! I'm watching the value of my flat rise n rise recently. As is everything else though. So what good it's actually doing me I don't know...

yeah, the whole phibs motif is one of depression, innit. god that tesco's depresses me. the area is like walford or summat.

?

phibsboro always makes me think of taxi driver when I walk through it. Full of drunken old men from the country shuffling from the pub back to the bedsit with a sliced pan at 6 in the evening. And all these odd balls shouting.

Speaking of gross buildings, the council houses in Blackhall street and Queens street are nothing short of fucking revolting. I've tried to like them, Tom de Paor designed them (I think). But no, they're fucking horrible shite looking pieces of red shit.

quote]

have to agree

that particular brand of red paint is appearing on almost every new block of flats these days!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back