Most depressing structure in Dublin (2 Viewers)

Speaking of gross buildings, the council houses in Blackhall street and Queens street are nothing short of fucking revolting. I've tried to like them, Tom de Paor designed them (I think). But no, they're fucking horrible shite looking pieces of red shit.

quote]

have to agree

that particular brand of red paint is appearing on almost every new block of flats these days!

furhter in they're also using a particularly lovely shade of chartreuse / bile green and turquoise.

evildently helen keller consulted vis a vis the colour choices.

The Civic offices in front of Christchurch- just terrible

and like the Judge Dredd movie, once done cannot be undone

200px-Bunker.jpg

and come to think of it they could have been designed for a sci-fi movie

by grey visionless robots

the civic offices were used as the basis for a SFX space age skyscraper in noted Sci-Fi tour de force "Space Truckers", fact fans.

also: "Féach an monstrosity seo"

The building on the quays, siptu is it?just b4 gardiner street.
I deliever chinese to it but fucked if I can remember it's name

good thread btw

That looks like a nice day though. :eek:

Yeah, that photo actually flatters it somewhat - add in doomy grey skies and threatening locals for full effect.... The fruitmarket area just behind it is being redeveloped over the next couple of years so hopefully that building will go too.

Yeah, fucking horrible.. can't be too long before it gets knocked though.

p1010019zk5.jpg

i dunno, i don't think it's that awful, although i agree that this is a flattering photo. ditto for liberty hall, phibsboro shopping centree, hawkins house - they're no more to me than the zoe developments rubbish or the standard new glassy office buildings. (and i think the civic offices are just downright pretty, aside from what they're standing on.)

nothing depresses me as much as the cloned housing estates, badly-maintained and derelict buildings, mind.

i saw the inside of the renovated college of physicians on kildare street recently, and aside from an insane colourblind decorating scheme and the ugliest light fittings known to man, the greatest horror was that at the foot of a new lift shaft, which used to be an open courtyard, they've done the interior exterior thing with untreated wood on the floor and in the lift - needless to say, it just looks poxy after a few months of use and is getting endless muttering about pretentious bullshit. in a room nearby, there was a copy of the new scott tallon walker (their architects) book on a coffee table. i think i apologised out loud for having anything to do with architecture.

i dunno, i don't think it's that awful, although i agree that this is a flattering photo. ditto for liberty hall, phibsboro shopping centree, hawkins house - they're no more to me than the zoe developments rubbish or the standard new glassy office buildings. (and i think the civic offices are just downright pretty, aside from what they're standing on.)

no, it doesn't look *too* bad in that photo but sited where it is in relation to whats around it, it just looks so fucking grim and out of place. No thought or consideration was given to its design vis a vis its location. That really gets my goat.

no, it doesn't look *too* bad in that photo but sited where it is in relation to whats around it, it just looks so fucking grim and out of place. No thought or consideration was given to its design vis a vis its location. That really gets my goat.

fair enough, it is like a bit of a weird Bureaucratic Island From Outer Space. nearly every time I've passed it, there's kids playing on and around the steps, though, and seeming to see it as their own once it's closed. that seems like a vague positive for the design, as i'm assuming they're not just trying to huddle up to motor tax for the hip factor.

I'd like to live there now. Can't afford it but. Keeping my ears out to hear what happens with the development of either Smurfitts in Glasnevin or the Phibsboro shopping centre.

Noooooooooooooooooooo:rolleyes:
I hate Phibsboro with every braincell I have. Most ugly grim traffic-filled rat hole ever.I pass through it twice a day, very very slowly because of the never ending traffic jams, on my way to school and dream of the whole place being razed to the ground.

A few weeks ago The Sunday Times property bit referred to
"chi chi Phibsboro". I nearly choked. Even its name is ugly.:mad::mad:

( New thread idea, ugly place names ? )

The dude who built our apartments ( Park Developments ) has bought a load of land/shop premises near us,up near the Met Office, presumably to build on, so they might be worth watching too...

ah I like the bustle of the baile phibs. But then I don't actually ever drive through it. Once they raze the glorious shopping centre at least that bit will look nicer. It just feels all proper urban and semi seedy to me, which appeals, and says a lot about me, obviously.

and cheers for the heads-up, glasnevin is on our wish list alright, but not the finglas end masquerading as glasnevin. Oh noo. the nice bit.

and cheers for the heads-up, glasnevin is on our wish list alright, but not the finglas end masquerading as glasnevin. Oh noo. the nice bit.

Snob.

It's a very fine line as to which part is which, so if you're looking and you're not sure, ask me and I'll let you know. Some roads are split down the middle as to which is Finglas.

Sure, it's all Finglas to me.

It'll always be Ballymun Avenue, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back