missed opportunities to meet your idols (1 Viewer)

smallbrownbear

tell us - have you ever decided to bugger off somewhere else after a show only to find that your mates all met with the band and had THE night of their lives? OR have you passed a familiar face in the crowd only to realise three steps on just WHO they really were?

We put on a gig with Tony Wilson's son Ollie in London a couple of years back. Seemingly Tony turned up and gave a lift home to some of my mates. I would have loved to have met the mad nutter.

that sy gig at the top hat 1990, i was hanging around at one side of the stage at the end of the gig, meanwhile three of my mates who i had gone to the gig with had met the band around the other side. see they had met them that day in temple bar. one of them actually shows up very briefly in that 'year that punk broke' dvd. anyway, the lads all got a lift back into town in the tour bus with the band. chatted with kim gordon the whole way. i was so sick when we all met up back at my mate's gaf.

I once saw Morrissey calmly drinking a coffee in Temple Bar but I'm firmly of the belief that you shouldn't meet your heroes.

If I found out Morrissey, Christian Bale and Christopher Walken had all showed up at my apartment for a chat, I'd wander the streets until they'd left.

A few weeks ago when Mastodon played here we were hanging around after the gig for a bit and a few of us went to get chips and two of my mates stuck around. When we come back they had just come out of the backstage area after having been brought to meet all the bands that had played and have a pint with them. Dont really care to much about meeting Mastodon but still!

Killyour-idols-t.jpg

What about meeting people and finding it very uncomfortable? As in they're just ordinary people. This is what I found when I went to talk to Clint Conley of Mission of Burma; tried talking to him about Consonant, he seemed fairly shut-mouth. Which I can understand. My friend was saying to me during the gig - "Jesus, he looks a lot like the 'cat in the hat'" and I went "Wha? Fuck off!!"

Up close though, he did indeed, look exactly like 'the cat in the hat'.

Chris, the drummer in Oxes was the loveliest person I ever met. And Mike Watt.

Steven Drozd came out after the Lips' Olympia gig in '99 and asked my friend did he know anywhere he could score some smack. I'm glad I was in Rick's at the time. Depressing stuff.

What about meeting people and finding it very uncomfortable? As in they're just ordinary people. This is what I found when I went to talk to Clint Conley of Mission of Burma; tried talking to him about Consonant, he seemed fairly shut-mouth. Which I can understand. My friend was saying to me during the gig - "Jesus, he looks a lot like the 'cat in the hat'" and I went "Wha? Fuck off!!"

Up close though, he did indeed, look exactly like 'the cat in the hat'.

Chris, the drummer in Oxes was the loveliest person I ever met. And Mike Watt.

The edge. I was doing work in his gaff and he was really apologetic for disturbing us when asking had we seen someone which I thought was nice.

The Edge signs (or at least signed) his name The Edge.
He was in this shop where I worked, and signed his credit card slip. I was only learning the whole till thing, and the lad who was teaching me got a bit weirded out, and asked to see his card, and sure enough...

I met Grooverider in Cork one time, but didn't know it was him. Just standing around, talking shite to some dude, and everyone else is keeping away, and then when he headed off they came over and told me.

Grooverider is not really my idle though...

The Edge signs (or at least signed) his name The Edge.
He was in this shop where I worked, and signed his credit card slip. I was only learning the whole till thing, and the lad who was teaching me got a bit weirded out, and asked to see his card, and sure enough...

I met Grooverider in Cork one time, but didn't know it was him. Just standing around, talking shite to some dude, and everyone else is keeping away, and then when he headed off they came over and told me.

Grooverider is not really my idle though...

Most of the delivery dockets we had were addressed to Bono's assistant or just the house name as far as I can remember.

Talking to Ian MacKaye was fairly uncomfortable. He's so straight to the point no humour kinda. I was interviewing him but in the points in between the interview questions and such it was the most awkward I've ever felt.

Best band I ever talked to was Wolf Eyes. Most enthusiastic coolest fuckers. So American as well. Latterman were great as well. Really lovely guys.

hmm,

all of mudhoney were cool,

greg dulli very cool,

david yow a gentleman,

yo la tengo, more friendly than they had any right to be...

3/4s of fugazi all cool...(didn't meet brendan but don't imagin he's any different)

mike watt, super friendly,

my best such moment was hanging out on Mark Lanegans tour bus, he acts all hard but he's a pussycat really,

weirdest one was brit walford from slint pulling rony to the side after the vicar st and asking him if the show was ok and talking about wishing he could go home to see his kids,,,

greg from deerhoof, ridicuously happy guy...

most of those were for interviews, i'm not a crazed stalker,,,

can't think of anyone who was a dick and put me off their music...

Chris, the drummer in Oxes was the loveliest person I ever met.
he's a deadly drummer. I met the other two; they seemed like complete pricks to be honest.

I used to be obsessed with 500cc grand prix motorcycle racing. found myself standing very near kevin schwantz once, but I was more of a "steady" eddie lawson fan, so...

The Oxes drummer SEEMS like the niceset guy ever onstage!
i have met no-one in particular thats my idol or famous, apart from Ronan Keating and Samantha Mumba as customers who were both really nice.
pity, i was hoping i could get to rip the piss out of them but they were just too damn nice!

I seem to keep bumping into John Rocha in town lately. I've met him in the lift in work (going up to meet some bankers) and a number of times along Baggot St. He's not my idol but I do have some of his waterford crystal designs which are lovely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back