missed opportunities to meet your idols (2 Viewers)

A friend of mine saw Billy Corgan leafing through some albums in HMV one day. He rang me asking if he should say anything.. I told him to forget it, but he went up and said "Hey I think you're great". Turned out it was some other 6"4 bald guy.

Nah it was him and apparently he was nice and polite.

I saw Tim Wheeler looking at his own album in Tower Records years ago. Well.. it might've been something else. He's a sap.

i'd rather have a few pints with a few mates to be honest. wouldn't mind hanging out with guy clarke or andrew wk for a day though

Aonghus McAnally was handing out medals for the local community games one Saturday morning. I'd won bronze in the egg & spoon race (under ten's section) the previous Thursday afternoon but couldn't make it to the ceremony as my family were going away on holidays that day.
Gutted, naturally.

I remember our mate Andy met the young fella out of Placebo at the David Bowie Witnness thing. That was just embarrassing.
Andy decided to be Andy.

I know. I felt a bit ill after hearing that.
Andy strolling in, Alright yeah... went for pints with David Bowie and yer man from Placebo last night.
Huh?
Ah yeah. Sound.
Whatareyeh talking about Andy? Fucksake.
Yeah. Went to a David Bowie concert, a private one...private cars... meal afterwards... about 30 people there...

You. Fucking. Cunt.

Can't remember exact dates, but when i was fifteen or sixteen i spent a week in clonakilty drinking in a mate's da's pub called de barras. On the friday night i ran out of money so i hitched back to macroom around 10am the saturday morning. The lads were sitting around at about 11 having a fry in the kitchen and Christy Moore, then in semi-retirement due to his heart problems, showed up at the door, sat down for the fry, sat around having the craic with the lads all day, and played a two hour set in the pub that night. I'm not mad into his music but it'd be interesting to spend a day around him.

As for freezing around your idols - i met fat mike from NOFX at a festival some friends were playing at in belgium last year. I've not listened to his music in years but i froze completely. Introduced myself to him, then stood there, my head gone blank, no idea what to say next. I just ended up walking off.

i'm going to roll out this story again, just cos. the time i met robb flynn was like the converse of this thread.. unmissed opportunities to meet other people's idols. there on the tour bus with him asking everyone what their favourite machine head album was, and everyone else going 'oo, i love such and such' and me drunk going 'i haven't listened to machine head in five years, i'm only here cos i was bored, give me another beer'.

I know. I felt a bit ill after hearing that.
Andy strolling in, Alright yeah... went for pints with David Bowie and yer man from Placebo last night.
Huh?
Ah yeah. Sound.
Whatareyeh talking about Andy? Fucksake.
Yeah. Went to a David Bowie concert, a private one...private cars... meal afterwards... about 30 people there...

You. Fucking. Cunt.

He was only there because I didn't have a girlfriend at the time - fact!

He was only there because I didn't have a girlfriend at the time - fact!

Oh you had the hook up did you?

He was always very fucking vague about how he actually went to that thing alright. You would ask him about it, and then all of a sudden he was talking about smoking hash out of jacks rolls or something, and you had lost your train of thought.

i went for a shite in mcdonalds last week and i knew by the smell that Derek Davies had just been in there... the seat was still warm and the back of the jacks was pebbledashed. i must have just missed him!

I walked past Brian May on Wellington Quay, by the time I realised it was him he had gone into the Clarence so I legged it back to the door only to see him in a lift with the doors closing. I shouted "Brian! Brian!" But I don't think he heard me. The doorman came over and asked what I wanted and I said I just wanted to go in to see Brian. Oddly, he looked for a second like he was going to let me in but then he must have realised that I was a filthy ruffian... I pleaded with him but to no avail. I was thinking about actually waiting there untill the next morning to see him when he left. I didn't, that would have just been sad.

backstage at witnness 2001 i walked past frank black. i was never much of a pixies fan but frank black is frank black like.. he was singing to himself an all but i just walked past.
same place i stood beside the drummer and guitarist from jimmy eat world and couldnt find the words to say i heart you guys!
walked past sterophonics as they were coming out of the tv interview tent. had a little giggle at them and then threw a table at them*!

*in my head

anah, i emailed em and they said that he never gave em any $$$

Wow.... the edge comes off sssoooo much better then the other two dudes, I know they're obviously losing their shit and all that, but it gets very "why are you doing this?" "I'm not" "BUT WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?!" towards the end

still amazing stuff

did he ever cough up the $$$? How did the court case end??

i got lost leaving witnness once and met badly drawn boy and basement jaxx playing five-a-side football in a car park. badly drawn boy was stoned i think.

When I was a kid I saw a load of people outside the Gresham one day. I wondered over to see what the fuss was only to be confronted by Brian May. I had no idea who he was at the time but I knew I didn't want anything to do with a curly haired man wearing green clogs.

When I was a kid I saw a load of people outside the Gresham one day. I wondered over to see what the fuss was only to be confronted by Brian May. I had no idea who he was at the time but I knew I didn't want anything to do with a curly haired man wearing green clogs.

how wrong you were!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Jim White & Marisa Anderson (Thrill Jockey)
Whelan's Main Room
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back