missed opportunities to meet your idols (3 Viewers)

The edge. I was doing work in his gaff and he was really apologetic for disturbing us when asking had we seen someone which I thought was nice.
the edge is legendarily nice - a mate used to be a librarian, and worked in dalkey library, which is reknowned for being the gulag of the dublin public libraries system. apparently they used to love it when the edge called in with his kids, though.

The Edge signs (or at least signed) his name The Edge.
He was in this shop where I worked, and signed his credit card slip. I was only learning the whole till thing, and the lad who was teaching me got a bit weirded out, and asked to see his card, and sure enough...

I met Grooverider in Cork one time, but didn't know it was him. Just standing around, talking shite to some dude, and everyone else is keeping away, and then when he headed off they came over and told me.

Grooverider is not really my idle though...

I remember our mate Andy met the young fella out of Placebo at the David Bowie Witnness thing. That was just embarrassing.
Andy decided to be Andy.

When I was about 15 I was working in Flip and I was a massive radiohead fan. There I was about my business when in walks Thom Yorke - I was so shocked I couldnt even move.... young girly idol moment. He seemed real nice too - when he left my shop I whisper shouted to my mate next door that 'There's Thom fucking Yorke!'and he heard me and waited there expecting me to go over - alas I ran away! ha!... then he got abused by a load of 'bank heads' when he was walking by. aww.

people! people!! PEOPLE!!!!

see now this thread was about the ALMOST, not the ACTUALLY DID and MOST of the replies are off target. so c'mon now lets try again with the following...

like...

i ALMOST [interesting activity name here] with [rockin' band name here] in [hip bar name here]with my mates some years back but actually decided to [sad reality here] instead

like...

i ALMOST met [bitchin' actors name here] but walked on by

ithangue

He's no idol, but me and my dad did build a walk-in wardrobe in Bono's bedroom in Killiney when i was a teenager. Small lovely fella.

One morning we turned up for work and he'd had a mania party the night before and was in bed, but said it was fine if we worked in the same room as long as we didn't hammer. Clearly not understanding the logistics of carpentry, we said we'd shoot off for the day.

'Bye bye Bono.'

When I was about 15 I was working in Flip and I was a massive radiohead fan. There I was about my business when in walks Thom Yorke - I was so shocked I couldnt even move.... young girly idol moment. He seemed real nice too - when he left my shop I whisper shouted to my mate next door that 'There's Thom fucking Yorke!'and he heard me and waited there expecting me to go over - alas I ran away! ha!... then he got abused by a load of 'bank heads' when he was walking by. aww.

Simpler times! Ahhhhh Flip...

.....amazing article..............

http://negativland.com/edge.html

Wow.... the edge comes off sssoooo much better then the other two dudes, I know they're obviously losing their shit and all that, but it gets very "why are you doing this?" "I'm not" "BUT WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?!" towards the end

still amazing stuff

did he ever cough up the $$$? How did the court case end??

He's no idol, but me and my dad did build a walk-in wardrobe in Bono's bedroom in Killiney when i was a teenager. Small lovely fella.

One morning we turned up for work and he'd had a mania party the night before and was in bed, but said it was fine if we worked in the same room as long as we didn't hammer. Clearly not understanding the logistics of carpentry, we said we'd shoot off for the day.

'Bye bye Bono.'

If your handiwork is still there(well 3/4 years ago now) I've probably seen it.

Talking to Ian MacKaye was fairly uncomfortable. He's so straight to the point no humour kinda. I was interviewing him but in the points in between the interview questions and such it was the most awkward I've ever felt.

Best band I ever talked to was Wolf Eyes. Most enthusiastic coolest fuckers. So American as well. Latterman were great as well. Really lovely guys.
i thought ian mackaye was lovely. he hugged me and called me his buddy. it was cute.

as for people you've almost met.. it's never happened with idols.. dunno if I even have any idols.. but when i was about 16/17 my parents seemed to make a habit of going out without me and meeting famous folks.. they met radiohead at a wedding and vidal sassoon at a new year's party. and jeremy irons was at my father's 50th which i spent entirely in my bedroom in a sulk.

The security guy Hugh was always giving me the evils.

Anybody who's worked there has been nice to me. Not sure if I ever dealt with a Hugh, there's a long haired guy from greystones I usually dealt with but I can't remember his name.

Speaking of Edge, my brother went to see Being John Malkovich in the Screen and Edge was there with his missus sitting a few rows down.
So when the cert comes up just before the film, he shouts 'Hey Edge, down in front!'

Got a laugh from the man himself.

My brother was in charge of minding the Edge's wardrobe at one of the Croke Park gigs a year or two ago. The wardrobe was the size of a "classroom" apparently. And he still can't find a pair of jeans without holes in them.:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back