Miscellaneous book trivia and stuff (2 Viewers)

Also if anyone is looking for something to listen to in work, check out Sherman Alexie. I absolutely LOVE him, his writing and the way he speaks. Have been reading some Native American YA writers, and he's so fucking wonderful.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What, bibliotik and stop the presses is where I mainly get them. I wouldn't bother with novels, but I have loads of reference books that I never refer to. They're all neatly arranged by category in Google drive

Does anyone feel bad about downloading unauthorised e-books?

In order to get 2666 (which wasn't available at the time) on kindle I had to download a compressed file with about 1000 books in it. It was worth it and I didn't feel bad since I've read shit loads of them and bought my girlfriend physical copies of the ones I thought she'd like.

It is bullshit that you can download them for free when you consider how cheap they are. I got The Castle by Kafka for 50p.

Where do yall download them? piratebay? I buy so so so many books that I don't feel that bad honestly, and I rarely read using my kobo thing anyway, but I guess to stave off the deficit, I should.

Just general internet searches - title + author + '.mobi'

I get qualms about it the way I don't about music and film though.

I'd say the publishing industry is more vulnerable to the effects of piracy than the music industry, although one haven't a clue really
I doubt that. People love the physical book a lot more than the CD or tape or whatever.

Books are like vinyl in that way. Unless I absolutely need to get a book that doesn't have an official kindle edition I'll never go looking for one illegally again.

I doubt that. People love the physical book a lot more than the CD or tape or whatever.

Books are like vinyl in that way. Unless I absolutely need to get a book that doesn't have an official kindle edition I'll never go looking for one illegally again.
I think once people get a taste for free e-books they'll be happier with them

Getty_Houellebecq.jpg

At fifty-seven, Houellebecq has the miraculous look of someone almost double his age. Etched, haggard, battered, half-collapsed, his face seems destined to become one of the great ruins of our literary era; something to measure up to Beckett or Auden—for druidic ancientness if not quite nobility. His mouth in particular rivets attention. Downturned like his beloved Baudelaire’s, it is also alarmingly caved-in, as though his mother had followed through on her notorious threat to smash his teeth in with her walking stick if he ever wrote about her again

Houellebecq in the Flesh by James Lasdun | NYRblog | The New York Review of Books

I've never read any if his books, just sharing this ghastly photo

Getty_Houellebecq.jpg

At fifty-seven, Houellebecq has the miraculous look of someone almost double his age. Etched, haggard, battered, half-collapsed, his face seems destined to become one of the great ruins of our literary era; something to measure up to Beckett or Auden—for druidic ancientness if not quite nobility. His mouth in particular rivets attention. Downturned like his beloved Baudelaire’s, it is also alarmingly caved-in, as though his mother had followed through on her notorious threat to smash his teeth in with her walking stick if he ever wrote about her again

Houellebecq in the Flesh by James Lasdun | NYRblog | The New York Review of Books

I've never read any if his books, just sharing this ghastly photo
His books are worth reading.

But I do kinda recommend it, it was definitely readable. I think his style would be better suited to long form fiction than to short stories though. Also, some of the dialogue rings false, feels too much like it is him talking rather than the character.

But I do kinda recommend it, it was definitely readable. I think his style would be better suited to long form fiction than to short stories though. Also, some of the dialogue rings false, feels too much like it is him talking rather than the character.
yeah it's on the list. There's a lot of new writing coming out of Ireland getting hype at the moment, just wanted to hear a review from someone outside of the campaign trail.

I read atomised when I was younger and loved it, then reread it there about a year ago and wanted to throw it into a fiery furnace and make it go away forever. Useless piece of woman hating garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back