Miscellaneous Articles You Should Read (1 Viewer)

Can't remember who our German correspondent is, I'm thinking either @magicbastarder or @taubstumm

Anyway, I'd be interested in their take on this. On the subject of Germany's devotion to anti-semitism and being seen as good atoners for the way causing all sorts of problems, both in their attitudes to Palestinians ("call them Jordanians" to quote from below) and the relationship between white Germans with generations of history there and the new Germans, Turks and Arabs mostly (and Europe's largest Palestinian population) who not unreasonably take an attitude of "yeah anti Semitism is bad and the stuff done in the war was awful, but it's not exactly our fault (and why are you insulted when we say we worry you might do it to us next)" and how that acts as a barrier for them to be seen as fully German because feeling smug about how far you've come since Hitler is a pillar of German identity.

Edit: Written by a jewish left wing German AFAIK

Can't remember who our German correspondent is, I'm thinking either @magicbastarder or @taubstumm

Anyway, I'd be interested in their take on this. On the subject of Germany's devotion to anti-semitism and being seen as good atoners for the way causing all sorts of problems, both in their attitudes to Palestinians ("call them Jordanians" to quote from below) and the relationship between white Germans with generations of history there and the new Germans, Turks and Arabs mostly (and Europe's largest Palestinian population) who not unreasonably take an attitude of "yeah anti Semitism is bad and the stuff done in the war was awful, but it's not exactly our fault (and why are you insulted when we say we worry you might do it to us next)" and how that acts as a barrier for them to be seen as fully German because feeling smug about how far you've come since Hitler is a pillar of German identity.

Cheers.
You can subscribe to Jewish Currents mailouts for free.
Lots of good writing in there - strongly left wing, Pro Palestinian etc.

Jewish currants, raisin the issues.

Gonna send a link to my German correspondent and see what he reckons. It might have just been emotion, but he was very pro Israel a few weeks ago, in a scary way.

We're all formed by our experiences
Ireland being very pro-Palestine, is influenced by our almost millennia long experience with the Brits
Of course the Germans are gonna be coloured by their collective guilt over the Holocaust

I've spent a lot of time there and talked to them about this. Never got a feeling of smugness on post-Hitler Germany, more like it's a stain that they can't erase. But that's anecdotal.

A German friend was excited to tell me that she had a dinner party with an Israeli guest and the Israeli told her how happy she was with Germany's response to the October 7th attacks.
This made my friend quite happy.

We all want to be seen as good and just. We just have different sets of priorities on how to get there.

More generally a lot of anti racist commentary I read in the last 15 years (identity politics era) criticises activists who still don't quiet get it.

e.g. I have sooo many Black / Latino / Muslim / LGBT+ friends.
I did African American studies.
I speak so many languages.
I love Latino / African / Asian culture, food, music and know more about than they do.

Cultural appropriation, lack of self awareness, privilege and giving yourself a pat on the back for being so down with minority folks. A white middle class person has an option and security but the people they identify with don't.
It's a strand of commentary that often comes up.

"these magma chambers are about 56,000 cubic kilometers in volume,"

JFC

There was a documentary about Yellowstone giant volcano (on BBC possibly?) in 2000's.

Two similar documentaries from the time were -
The normally seismically quiet Pacific north west of US has a history of huge earth quakes every 300 odd years and the last one was circa 1700.

The other doc was first time I heard of Tenerife being unstable and a huge part of the volcanic island is eventually going subside into the sea and cause a mega tsunami that would destroy west coast of USA.
There is no time scale on this (it might take thousands of years). The Bahamas islands very shape showed evidence of being hit by something like this in pre history.
Tenerife subsidence one seems widely known?

There could have been major developments on these theories in years since they were broadcast in mid 2000's ???
Heard nothing about NW USA megaquake idea since....

I remember the doc about cascadia. Basic gist was 'move out of Seattle, go to Vancouver'. The former is built on mud and silt, the latter on rock (built by Jefferson starship I guess). The nature of a quake would be side to side shaking, possibly causing partial liquefaction of the mud, destabilising skyscraper foundations.

germany is really fucked up right now. I could go on and on and on about it. you use exactly the right word for it here, which is smug. plenty of countries have racist groups. but only germany has smug, sanctimonious, good-liberal racists who ardently believe that they are actually anti-racist. there was a good article about it last year by Peter Beinart in Jewish Currents:

that article was written long before the current atrocities. everything has become far worse in the last couple of months since then.

just yesterday the german green party foundation, the heinrich böll stiftung, retracted an award, named after a German Jewish writer, that it was due to give to another Jewish writer, because of what she has written about Gaza. It’s truly bonkers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back