Minor Pleasures (11 Viewers)

I’ve a history of bad birthdays. Family forgetting, terrible storms, people not showing up to be left standing on my own places, partner’s work conference paper deadline (for years) being at 23:59, so I had to celebrate on the 3rd because he’d sleep the whole day of the 2nd. However, my birthday in 2022 was the worst because it was the last day I got to spend with my dad. He passed some time between midnight of my birthday and 2am the next day. I said good night and then woke up at 2am to give him more morphine but he was gone. The worst part was then waking up my mom to tell her that her husband of 61 ½ years had passed next to her. I honestly think he held out so he wouldn’t leave us on my birthday.

Since then, I’ve made a point to make sure I have a good birthday, so I’ve planned to be outside my normal life when it arrives. I figure, even if a terrible trip, at least I am still exploring, living, and starting the next year off right. France was great over Easter, but something made it even more special. I went to a museum and part of the exhibition was a cube room with an animation of a red bird covering the four walls and it was about the cycle of life. Weird conscience because on my birthday in 2022, I went outside to take a break and I saw a red cardinal. It just starred at me for ages before flying off and I had never seen one in real life before. A few weeks later, when back in my hometown (many states away) I saw another cardinal just before his funeral. Last year in Greece, I did a 10K cliff walk and there were all these little red birds painted on rocks. And now this animation. I know we see what we want to see but it gave me a lot a joy. Like him say hi or happy birthday. Bittersweet.

I took a call in work today and the person on the other end said she was diagnosed with MS yesterday (it was kind of relevant). I told her "same here". We had a 10 minute chat while both trying to remain professional. I sensed her starting to well up and wished her well.
I remembered the day after diagnosis as being very tough.

Shamelesselle has awoken from instagram slumber - her gig is mosly comically sexually over reacting to videos of dudes doing stuff.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

here's an older one from before she took a break

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Watching some new thing about The Last Days of Nazi Germany. Hitler's in the bunker, being a cunt, the Russians are coming, we know all this. It is genuinely the least shit thing on broadcast television right now.
I don't know why this thing exists. It's not bad, but It adds nothing to the heavily trodden tale. A by-the-numbers documentary.

Anyway, we improved it muchly by filling the pregnant silence at the end of every contribution with some variation of "like a cunt".

"Ever more dreadful news reaches those trapped inside the bunker, like cunts"

Watching some new thing about The Last Days of Nazi Germany. Hitler's in the bunker, being a cunt, the Russians are coming, we know all this. It is genuinely the least shit thing on broadcast television right now.
I don't know why this thing exists. It's not bad, but It adds nothing to the heavily trodden tale. A by-the-numbers documentary.

Anyway, we improved it muchly by filling the pregnant silence at the end of every contribution with some variation of "like a cunt".

Actually, live texting here...

After the bit where Adolf wastes a bullet on himself (like a cunt), there is a bit of interesting stuff about what happened after.

I always watch these shows, this one is good too. RTE has a Hitler hour at least once a week, it used to be Saturday around 7pm now it seems to be Tuesday 11pm or something like that, where they'll show some sort of documentary on the Nazis. And would they have anything from, eh, the Allied side? No, no, I'd have no interest in that kind of thing.

I always watch these shows, this one is good too. RTE has a Hitler hour at least once a week, it used to be Saturday around 7pm now it seems to be Tuesday 11pm or something like that, where they'll show some sort of documentary on the Nazis. And would they have anything from, eh, the Allied side? No, no, I'd have no interest in that kind of thing.

I though Tubs left RTE?

Just finished Masters Of The Air
Enjoyed it fine like
The Nazis and Germans were bad enough, the Allies mostly good.
It didn't really love the Brits, which you have to appreciate.

But I definitely would like more about the Allied perspective on how the Brits were very comfortable with firebombing entire cities, did the French really do anything at all, the Russian utter disregard for their own staggering casualties. Pretty well documented what the Americans did.

We're fascinated by evil though.
Like someone made a Jeffrey Dahmer series.

Might I be the only person here who grew up with the History Channel? Or just the only one who spent his teens watching History Channel instead of feeking beors or whatever.

I've pretty much seen all of these shows. There's diminishing returns in watching them now, though I do get an occasional insight.

But this leaves my midlife viewing choices somewhat barren.

I've talked to German WWII survivors
Little kids when it was all happening, so no actual involvement
But the scale of the fucking horror of just surviving.
And then to go on and rebuild a country and live remarkably normal lives.

You can know the story but then hearing it from people involved, it hits different.

That said, currently confusing my housemate by switching between the Iggy Pop radio show and a Vietnam War documentary.

I didn't know the marines did urban warfare in Huê, and they weren't prepared for it. I've been to Huê. It's beautiful. Also PBS has been constantly showing the massive Ken Burns Vietnam War documentary. Again, this is just simply the least worst thing on broadcast television.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back