Minor Pleasures (10 Viewers)

I only went shopping an hour ago and now I feel like I failed miserably.

It's off to the minor complaint thread for me.

I wrote a short story about food shopping a few years ago. It's often a fail for me. I wander and wander and never really pick up anything. There was a 24 hour place in Boston I use to go to at like 3am so no one else would be there and I wouldn't get distracted. It didn't work but it provided inspiration.

I remember reading about people using the supermarket to find dates/rides in an Armistead Maupin book but I've never witnessed it or tried it myself, even in san francisco.

I think it's the weird hum of the shops. It makes me into a zombie and I just wander and watch people pick items and put them in their baskets. As if, I am looking to them to tell me what to buy. I've come home with items before and have been like, "WTF, why the hell did I buy this?" I buy food and none of it ever makes a meal. I just hate all shopping, I want someone else to do it for me. Basically, I want someone to take over my life and tell me what to do because I can't be bothered anymore. A posh prison or old folks home sounds appealing sometimes. I could do arts and crafts all day or learn to sew and meals are provided.

That's the best part about shopping. Trying to concoct a meal out of all the disparate ingredients you've somehow persuaded yourself to buy. Far too disorganized to actually write a list or look up a recipe beforehand. Usually ends with me eating something out of a tin and dipping something bread-like into olive oil.

Being absolutely broke, shopping is a piece of piss. I just pick up food I know I can make last, tomatoes, some meat, herbs, pesto, pasta, rice etc.

It's when i have to go to Sainsburys for something in particular that the real hell begins. Everything looks great, I want to eat it all, there are cheeses and vegetables that are surplus to requirements, which i promise myself that when I have money I'll buy them and find a recipe, an excuse to use them. The shelves mock me, they beckon me to smash my self, my budget on the rocks of their prices. A decent piece of Lamb on special in the "soon to go out of date" discount section calls to me like a sirens song and I have to grit my teeth in my salivating mouth, and close my watering eyes and press ahead to the express DIY checkout where I count the change in my pocket twice to make sure I can get the one object I came in for. Then I slink away, ashamed and defeated, taunted and even more convinced that the day I make money is the day i have a heart attack.

Being absolutely broke, shopping is a piece of piss. I just pick up food I know I can make last, tomatoes, some meat, herbs, pesto, pasta, rice etc.

It's when i have to go to Sainsburys for something in particular that the real hell begins. Everything looks great, I want to eat it all, there are cheeses and vegetables that are surplus to requirements, which i promise myself that when I have money I'll buy them and find a recipe, an excuse to use them. The shelves mock me, they beckon me to smash my self, my budget on the rocks of their prices. A decent piece of Lamb on special in the "soon to go out of date" discount section calls to me like a sirens song and I have to grit my teeth in my salivating mouth, and close my watering eyes and press ahead to the express DIY checkout where I count the change in my pocket twice to make sure I can get the one object I came in for. Then I slink away, ashamed and defeated, taunted and even more convinced that the day I make money is the day i have a heart attack.

All my likes belong to Washingcattle.

I just realised that you probably have no idea that Wolfbait are playing in London on Friday. Do you live anywhere near Whitechapel?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Bladez
  • M
  • S
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back