Minor complaints thread (8 Viewers)

Fucking Lidl..don't get me wrong - I love Lidl and Aldi for that matter. Its the people in front ..always with their fucking debit cards. Never cash in hand and only two or three items. Thats what pisses me off. Surely in this day of Playstation 4, Occulus Rift, Holidays in space etc etc they can speed up the poxy process. Is that too much to ask for!!??
This drive me nuts around Grafton/Dawson Street. Students paying for a 4 euro lunch or coffee with a debit card, ffs. Queue takes forever and eats into my lunch break.

I can understand people not wanting to carry cash, especially on a night out. What I can't understand is card terminals that are apparently still operating on dial up with high speed broadband so widely available. Paying by card should, and can, be quicker than paying by cash (no change to be counted and checked).

I can understand people not wanting to carry cash, especially on a night out. What I can't understand is card terminals that are apparently still operating on dial up with high speed broadband so widely available. Paying by card should, and can, be quicker than paying by cash (no change to be counted and checked).

You would think that wouldn't you but its the complete opposite. Your dial up speed reason makes a lot of sense.

My local supermarket has a really speedy card connection so it's much quicker to pay by card there than cash, even allowing for time to put in the PIN.

My main problem with Aldi is that the cashiers seem to be looking for an excuse to throw your purchases on the floor. Nothing satisfies them. If you bag at the checkout they try to push the bag on the floor, if you put the basket there to put things in it planning to bag after check out they put your items on the counter behind the basket (almost impossible to reach) rather than in the basket.

Lidl staff are generally lovely though.

Fucking Lidl..don't get me wrong - I love Lidl and Aldi for that matter. Its the people in front ..always with their fucking debit cards. Never cash in hand and only two or three items. Thats what pisses me off. Surely in this day of Playstation 4, Occulus Rift, Holidays in space etc etc they can speed up the poxy process. Is that too much to ask for!!??
That'd be me..and I'll make no apology for it.

Its already costing us 20c a transaction..we've been penalised enough

My local supermarket has a really speedy card connection so it's much quicker to pay by card there than cash, even allowing for time to put in the PIN.

My main problem with Aldi is that the cashiers seem to be looking for an excuse to throw your purchases on the floor. Nothing satisfies them. If you bag at the checkout they try to push the bag on the floor, if you put the basket there to put things in it planning to bag after check out they put your items on the counter behind the basket (almost impossible to reach) rather than in the basket.

Lidl staff are generally lovely though.
The staff in my Aldi are some of the nicest people in town.
And theres a lot of nice people in town.
Same with Lidl.

The staff in my Aldi are some of the nicest people in town.
And theres a lot of nice people in town.
Same with Lidl.

I was in 2 seperate Lidls last Wednesday and Thursday. Both times I saw the same young lad working the checkouts. So that kid is alright by me.

Unless he was a twin or clone.

The lady at the checkout last night in my Lidl wanted me to play her a tune on the harmonica I just bought.

ANd I duly obliged!

Nothing worse than people who pay with a card at a bar.

Dude, I only ever pay at the bar with a card. It is quicker than cash.
Order first drink, hand over card, tell barman to leave it open.
The only interaction that then takes place is you nodding and another drink being handed to you.
When you decide to leave, ask for the card and pay.

This is a beautiful system.

I can't see that working here somehow

The Big Tree has an ATM in the middle of the floor...madness. They're expecting way to much self control from their punters

Downright unpatriotic if you ask me

Just looked up Plumpynut and I want some! That's the closest thing to taking a pill instead of eating! In all seriousness, I'll be in London next weekend if you want anything from this side of the pond.
This weekend coming the 22nd - 24th or the one after ? What are you up to while you're here ?

Sainsburys actually have an Irish section where you can get Club Orange and Tayto etc it's pretty handy but very expensive.

This weekend coming the 22nd - 24th or the one after ? What are you up to while you're here ?.

The one after 29th-1st. Visiting a friend before she heads away on extended holiday. No clue what's going on there. Anything I should check out?

ETA: Now that I think about it, I haven't explored London at all. Most of the time I've been there for work/non-fun reasons. I did the super fast visit of London Eye/Tate/Tower of London bit and that's it.

What airport is easiest for Clapham South and what tube line goes near there?
Anyone know that off the top of their head

?
My non-map processing tiny brain will be forever grateful.

It's Gatwick, handy to get to Clapham Junction.
London City Airport I'd say. You can get the DLR into the City then hop on the tube. Or heathrow. Just get on the Picadilly line and you're in London in about half an hour

That's madness and the price of flights with cityjet vary from expensive to ludicrous.

Do you have an android phone? I used this when I was last over London Underground Tube Map - Android Apps on Google Play

Edit: gah, the description that the link throws up for thumped isn't helpful, it's interactive, you pick where you want to start and where you want to go to

made it much easier to navigate around and know what the best places to stop were when I needed to take journeys that had transfers.

As for your Clapham south question, obviously @Bernie Lomax lives in London but ... you could get a plane to Gatwick, get a train to Clapham Junction (30 mins), and then get the overground train to Clapham High Street/Clapham North, where you can transfer to the Northern line and go to Clapham South.
You're right but you're over complicating things. There's more than likely a bus from Clapham Junction directly to where you want to go to. the journey from Clapham Junction to Clapham High street is about 5 minutes. Clapham Highstreet and Clapham north are strictly speaking two seperate stations but they are a 2 minute walk from each other so don't worry it's well sign posted. From there all the changes he's mentioning are very very easy and it'll take no time at all.

That just made my head hurt.

You get used to it. I once took one train to get to a gig then had to take 5 busses to get back. It should have been 2 busses because the middle 3 busses only brought me across the river which was a 20 minute walk from where the first one left me.

Use Home | Transport for London in conjunction with googlemaps and you'll be fine either on their own is a disaster of needless bus and rail use which makes the experience of London akin to being a meerkat. Bustling away underground like a rodent is not my idea of craic. The weather here is cold but fresh at the moment so wear warm clothes and get to know the river especially the south bank from London Bridge to Blackfriars. From there you can get pretty much everywhere

The one after 29th-1st. Visiting a friend before she heads away on extended holiday. No clue what's going on there. Anything I should check out?
It's my work party on the friday so i haven't looked. If I think of anything I'll let you know. ATP are having a closing down do that week so there's a few things on related to that.

I'm over on the 28th, one night only - before ATP. sayin
Dude, I only ever pay at the bar with a card. It is quicker than cash.
Order first drink, hand over card, tell barman to leave it open.
The only interaction that then takes place is you nodding and another drink being handed to you.
When you decide to leave, ask for the card and pay.

This is a beautiful system.
Don't think you can do that here. Maybe in Lillies or some shit...

I can't see that working here somehow

The Big Tree has an ATM in the middle of the floor...madness. They're expecting way to much self control from their punters

Downright unpatriotic if you ask me

I haven't had a drink in that pub in maybe 20 years.

Gawdbewitdedays

You're right but you're over complicating things. There's more than likely a bus from Clapham Junction directly to where you want to go to.

Ah okay, I've only first hand experience of the Gatwick-CJ leg of the trip, my mate lived by the Sainsbury's nearby and I crashed there when visiting, was looking at maps for the rest of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back