Minor complaints thread (1 Viewer)

trying to write a 'personal statement' for a job application

what do these people want

"since i was a child i have longed to delve into the mysteries of rocks

as a youth i wept in quarries"

I find with employers, it's not so much that they just want to get an insight into your character outside your "professional you", but that they want to find out that you're into the same stuff they're into, such as football, and football. This may not be the case in the area of rocks, however. Don't geologists tend to be into the outdoors? Tell them you are often outdoors, which I'm sure you are.

i don't know how emotive these things are meant to get... @Cornu Ammonis ? presumably you've had to do these? did you include a rendition of your fascination with the mysterious mysteries of the human brain since your days of childish wonder in the irish countryside?

My personal statement tends to get divided between cover letters, teaching statements and research statements. The latter two are obviously straightforward enough (what my experience is, what I'd like to do and how I plan to do it) but the more general cover letter can be tough.

Generating Material
(Adapted from Richard J. Stelzer’s How to Write a Winning Personal Statement for Graduate and Professional School)
1. What is special, unique, distinctive, and/or impressive about you or your life story? Try to think
about this in relation to other candidates in your field.
2. What details of your life (personal or family history, people, or events that have shaped you or
influenced your goals) might help the committee better understand you or help set you apart
from other applicants?
3. When did you become interested in this field and what have you learned about it (and about
yourself) that has further stimulated your interest and reinforce your conviction that you are well
suited to your field?
4. How have you learned about this field? Through classes, readings, work or other experiences, or
conversations with people already in the field etc.?
5. If you have worked during your grad school years, what have you learned (leadership, technical,
or managerial skills, for instance) and how has that work contributed to your growth?
6. What are your career goals?
7. Have you had to overcome any unusual obstacles or hardships in your life?
8. What personal characteristics do you possess (i.e. integrity, compassion, persistence) that would
improve your prospects for success in the field or profession? Is there a way to demonstrate that
you have these characteristics?
9. Why might you be a stronger candidate for the fellowship, job, or school program—and more
successful and effective in the profession or field—than other applicants?
10. What are the most compelling reasons you can give for the selection committee to be interested
in you?

That list is very American sounding. I wouldn't bother with going into life experience unless it's actually relevant. I tend to gloss over anything from before my PhD (i.e. just leave it as a list in my CV). For definite promote yourself in your personal statement (list any achievements that you have in your work whether it's a qualification, top-up coures, prize or something similar) and list your skills, highlighting the ones that you are especially adept in or you know to be somewhat rare.

The career goals bit in this list is good too, it's all well and good to have experience but you want to show that you have ambition too (for me, I mention future research plans building on what I've done so far) and how you will attempt to achieve these goals (for me, what funding bodies I will apply to. I try to be realistic but will put a more difficult/prestigious grant proposal in because I want to show I see myself as being capable of competing in the big league).

At the end, you can put in a line or two about non-work stuff that you do that might serve to round out your character. If your work is fairly solitary, mention something you do in your spare time that involves being a "team player" (so a committee, sports team, charity work or whatever).

They're a pain to write and I'm never happy with them but they're a necessary evil. From the other side of the recruitment coin, as awful as they are to do, they do have an impact on the employer so don't just rush something off. It should complement your CV but not unecessarily repeat it (if you've got a full list of education and previous employments, don't repeat it). Instead, cherry pick and highlight the bits that you think will appeal to them and suit the position you're applying for. Go through the job description and highlight and number every item they look for and make sure that if you haven't addressed it in your CV, address it in the personal statement and vice versa.

Don't waffle. Keep it to two A4 pages typed max (size 12 font, standard margins), they have loads of applications to read and long ones will be glossed over.

Erm, that's all I can think of right now.

My personal statement tends to get divided between cover letters, teaching statements and research statements. The latter two are obviously straightforward enough (what my experience is, what I'd like to do and how I plan to do it) but the more general cover letter can be tough.

That list is very American sounding. I wouldn't bother with going into life experience unless it's actually relevant. I tend to gloss over anything from before my PhD (i.e. just leave it as a list in my CV). For definite promote yourself in your personal statement (list any achievements that you have in your work whether it's a qualification, top-up coures, prize or something similar) and list your skills, highlighting the ones that you are especially adept in or you know to be somewhat rare.

The career goals bit in this list is good too, it's all well and good to have experience but you want to show that you have ambition too (for me, I mention future research plans building on what I've done so far) and how you will attempt to achieve these goals (for me, what funding bodies I will apply to. I try to be realistic but will put a more difficult/prestigious grant proposal in because I want to show I see myself as being capable of competing in the big league).

At the end, you can put in a line or two about non-work stuff that you do that might serve to round out your character. If your work is fairly solitary, mention something you do in your spare time that involves being a "team player" (so a committee, sports team, charity work or whatever).

They're a pain to write and I'm never happy with them but they're a necessary evil. From the other side of the recruitment coin, as awful as they are to do, they do have an impact on the employer so don't just rush something off. It should complement your CV but not unecessarily repeat it (if you've got a full list of education and previous employments, don't repeat it). Instead, cherry pick and highlight the bits that you think will appeal to them and suit the position you're applying for. Go through the job description and highlight and number every item they look for and make sure that if you haven't addressed it in your CV, address it in the personal statement and vice versa.

Don't waffle. Keep it to two A4 pages typed max (size 12 font, standard margins), they have loads of applications to read and long ones will be glossed over.

'winner' 'informative' 'like'
thanks!

I think my advice was better

shaney's was best

This fucking guy

do they tend to ask bullshit questions like what's your biggest weakness and what can you bring to the team in academic interviews? or will it more likely be straight science chat?

I've never really been asked them but no harm preparing, I've heard of them being asked. A lot of the questions do kind of boil down to "what can you bring" but that can be experience of a technique, an expertise in an area or an existing collaboration, not necessarily "I bring you strong character and a go-get-em attitude!"

Nooly just be honest.

Yer into Power Electronics and LSD

Thats all I want to see from potential employees

do they tend to ask bullshit questions like what's your biggest weakness and what can you bring to the team in academic interviews? or will it more likely be straight science chat?

having been on both sides of the table 4 times in the last 6 months for both private sector and academic jobs - Id say it depends on the level of HR involvement in the process - if theres someone from HR on the panel you might get asked that sort of crap. if its just academics your mor elikely to be asked questions like 'whats your view on the imprtance of this area' and 'what skills do you feel you can bring to the group' etc. no harm to have a stock anwswer for more of the HR type ones - whats your greatest dtrength/weakness, how would you deal with a difficult co-worker/employee/manager/client etc...

toying with the idea of actually road-testing this

Sometimes+honesty+is+weakness_2df741_5227091.jpg

(not really)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back