Miles Davis (2 Viewers)

Nggllbth, Live Evil is excellent, but very much in the depths of his 'mad stuff', as somebody nicely put it.

A lot of the second quintet stuff is also great:
ESP
Miles Smiles.

In a Silent Way is a masterpiece though

Just found out my dad has a copy of Someday My Prince Will Come and its brilliant alltogether. Finger clickin' good. I can never picture Miles shooting up, infact i find it hard to see him as a junkie but apparently they were all at it. Film currently being made about Chet Baker and his life drug problems and all staring Josh Hartnett. Eek.

I think I'm the only person on the planet who thinks his best stuff was the four Quintet albums (Relaxin', Workin', Steamin' and Cookin'), and that everything after Kind of Blue is pretty dull (especially Bitches Brew).

I think I'm the only person on the planet who thinks his best stuff was the four Quintet albums (Relaxin', Workin', Steamin' and Cookin'), and that everything after Kind of Blue is pretty dull (especially Bitches Brew).

There's plenty of people out there who think that, the majority of whom are over 70.
They're good albums

You are the sum and measure of controversy itself, sir!

Aside from the great albums already mentioned:

Tribute to Jack Johnson: Mindblowing album featuring an uncredited Sonny Sharrock on cold-start car-guitar woo hoo!
Circle in the round: Wonderfully diverse compilation, The title track is a masterpiece and one of Tony Williams finest moments IMO. Also features version of CSN's Guinnevere
Big Fun: For fans of On the corner. Great!
Get up with it: A heavy stormer, check out Rated X

Bought Round About Midnight in Paris last year. Only getting around to listening to it recently. Amazing album. Don't think anybody mentioned it in this thread. Davis and Coltrane doing what they did best.

i dont like any of them

I've revised my opinion upwards a bit since then. I still don't really like anything from In A Silent Way on, it sounds like jam band widdle to me. It has it's moments i suppose but there seems to be no concept "enough is enough". The stuff just before it went off the cliff is great though - Miles Smiles, Nefrititi, ESP, Filles de Kilimanjaro, Sorcerer - I love all these ones.

I'd prefer In A Silent Way to Nefrititi, Filles de Kilimanjaro and Sorcerer. Haven't heard Miles Smiles yet. So you're not into Jack Johnson or Water Babies or Miles on the Corner etc?

My favorite Miles albums are: Kind of Blue, Someday My Prince Will Come, Round About Midnight, Sketches of Spain, Quiet Nights and In A Silent Way.

On the corner is amazing. It feels like synths have barely just been invented and noone is quite sure what to do with them. Outlaw frontier stuff.

Plus the cover is this ...

220px-Miles_Davis_On_The_Corner.jpg

Have you got the Complete On The Corner Sessions? It's tough to get through. I should have just bought the normal album first.

I'd prefer In A Silent Way to Nefrititi, Filles de Kilimanjaro and Sorcerer. Haven't heard Miles Smiles yet. So you're not into Jack Johnson or Water Babies or Miles on the Corner etc?

My favorite Miles albums are: Kind of Blue, Someday My Prince Will Come, Round About Midnight, Sketches of Spain, Quiet Nights and In A Silent Way.

I haven't heard Water Babies yet although I will be investigating at some point as it's from the Nefrititi - Filles - Silent Way era according to wikipedia. Not really a fan of jack Johnson or on the corner, big fun, all that era. It sound's great in a way but it just seems to flail around and go nowhere. I listened to Dark Magus yesterday, same deal. I do love the first song on big fun and I havent heard all the albums by any means. Sketches is great alright.

Wikipedia on Water Babies said:
Due to these recordings being released years after they were recorded, the three Wayne Shorter compositions recorded during the 1967 session had made their first appearance in 1969 on Shorter's album Super Nova in a much more free jazz, avant-garde style.

I like that Wayne Shorter album, must have another listen soon

I like that Wayne Shorter album, must have another listen soon
All the albums you've mentioned are based around W Shorter compositions, Water babies included.

Later music is tapped into the idea of no composition as such - eternal groove mantra. If it can be described as a bit boring then it's simply not boring enough.

All the albums you've mentioned are based around W Shorter compositions, Water babies included.

Later music is tapped into the idea of no composition as such - eternal groove mantra. If it can be described as a bit boring then it's simply not boring enough.

I see, that makes sense. Too much grooving going on altogether in the later years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back