Michael Gira (1 Viewer)

You mean prejudiced in the legal sense? As in someone who knows or admires the defendant could never be a juror because they are prejudiced? Sure. But they might act as a character witness... for whatever that's worth.
not in the legal sense, no

if you're giving someone you just happen to like (or think is respectable etc.) the benefit of the doubt it means the person you don't happen to like (or think is respectable etc.) is getting the..um..anti-benefit of the doubt

which is fucked up and leads to all kinds of dreadful cover-ups

I think it might be possible to believe both of them in this situation.

Unless you're in a jury.
Her contention is that she was raped while passed out/sleeping, no?

His is that there was a fumbling consensual encounter. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

The difference goes to the heart of the issue.

Her contention is that she was raped while passed out/sleeping, no?

His is that there was a fumbling consensual encounter. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

The difference goes to the heart of the issue.

None of us can or will ever know the heart of the issue.

Sorry, is that your point? Not sure what you're saying here...

It's possible to believe that he believed it was a fumbling consensual sexual encounter.

It all goes to consent. He says there was consent, she says it was absent.
I don't know how it's possible to believe both.
He believes (in his memory) there was consent, she believes (in her memory) that there was not. It's possible one of them is lying but I'm going to believe them both for now, I see no decent reason not to.

or that he's so fucking clueless he doesn't know the difference (or pretends not to) between consenting and inert

which frankly...wouldn't be anything new

I see no reason to even hold a viewpoint on this one way or the other, but the two stories are wildly different.

It's not just 'possible' that one of them is lying, it's the only situation that the statements bear out.
One of them is lying.
Maybe he's a predatory, grooming, abuser. Maybe she is a bit unhinged generally.

both the above are comic-book caricatures of people.

Maybe they're both lying, or exaggerating, or remembering wrong. I don't know.

For now I'll hold off definitive ONE OF THEM IS A LIAR TRYING TO HIDE THEIR GUILT-RIDDEN, SEEDY, SWEATY SECRET statements though.

or that he's so fucking clueless he doesn't know the difference (or pretends not to) between consenting and inert

which frankly...wouldn't be anything new

Supposedly he's told his version to his whole family already
And his statement definitely reads like a lawyer was in the room

If he didn't know the difference at the time, he sure as heck knows it now, and is still claiming consent.

Her version rings far more true to me - finagling to get into bed off a cold floor, classic think-with-your-dick maneuver - even before he had a massive change in tack in two days.

Last edited:
Maybe he's a predatory, grooming, abuser.

Maybe she is a bit unhinged generally.

both the above are comic-book caricatures of people.

Maybe they're both lying, or exaggerating, or remembering wrong.

I don't know.

For now I'll hold off definitive ONE OF THEM IS A LIAR TRYING TO HIDE THEIR GUILT-RIDDEN, SEEDY, SWEATY SECRET statements though.
No one's making those caricatures here except you.
There are two distinct versions of events. It's cognitive dissonance to believe both at the same time.
One or both is lying.

Look at the internet detectives in here, finding objective truth in the subjective statements. Fine, carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back