Mark Kozelek (solo) (1 Viewer)

madouva

Website
Visit site
Mark Kozelek (Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon) plays a one-off solo show at Whelan's on Saturday 5th March 2005.

Tickets on sale now. Note the early doors (7pm).

Cheers

madouva said:
Mark Kozelek (Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon) plays a one-off solo show at Whelan's on Saturday 5th March 2005.

Tickets on sale now. Note the early doors (7pm).

Cheers

Can you guarantee he'll sing the high bits this time and maybe even look like he's interested in being there? ;)

Seriously though, his HQ solo gig was the best he's done here, so bodes well for this one I guess....

In fairness, I don't think he's the life and soul of the party at the best of times. Kinda goes with the territory. Cannot wait though.

His gig at HQ was the best (and crankiest) ever. I thought he seemed distracted at The Village, and I figure it will be much better to see him solo again.

madouva said:
In fairness, I don't think he's the life and soul of the party at the best of times. Kinda goes with the territory. Cannot wait though.

His gig at HQ was the best (and crankiest) ever. I thought he seemed distracted at The Village, and I figure it will be much better to see him solo again.

how much is tickets?
(and slint is the next day...!bing )

remember at hq he told the story about the irish girl who pissed in his hotel wardrobe...
village sun kill moon gig just went on and on and on and on....i was exhausted and willing him to stop...

Tis true, this indeed *will* be the shit, in a good way. He is a crankypus, but some of his songs are far too beautiful not to hear them live at least once in a life time. Only he didn't play my Glen Tipton song in the Village. Actually he may have, I left a tad early cos no one can stand for three hours and listen to mournful music! Not sorry I went though, and definitely going to this one, only I'm bringing a folding chair...

20 euro methinks, well worth the up-close-and-personal-ness of Whelans. Unless he throws a strop and starts chucking things. The noise of the airvent made him very angry in the Village!

Ah but don't we like our artists to be a little temperamental? Makes things interesting.
I bloody hate it when they're all saccarine sweet "Eye love Eyerland, you guys are my favourite country blah blah".
Nothing like witnessing a good strop.

White Sugar said:
20 euro methinks, well worth the up-close-and-personal-ness of Whelans. Unless he throws a strop and starts chucking things. The noise of the airvent made him very angry in the Village!

Likelihood of strop...fair-to-middling.

MARK KOZELEK (Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon) plays a unique and intimate one-off Irish show at Whelan's of Wexford Street, on Saturday 5th March 2005. Special guest is Goodtime John. Please note: doors open at 7PM SHARP, and show will end at the earlier time of 10pm. Tickets €20 from all usual outlets.

For many, the introduction to Mark Kozelek came in 1992 when after nearly a minute of whispering guitar, a pristine voice rose out, haunting and inhabiting the air it traveled. Greeting listeners with interlocking images of lost childhood and the depravity of aging, these initial seconds of "24" marked the entrance unto the romantic, reflective realm of Red House Painters - Kozelek's first musical effort to find label support. With each deliberate note and every articulated word, a feeling hung, suspended in the memory of a talented songwriter who could, through an unshakable, natural devotion to lyrics and guitarsmanship, pull an audience into the very moment of his inspiration.

From his youth in Massillon, Ohio, Kozelek used music as a way to comprehend his life. On the cusp of adulthood, Kozelek, along with band mates in the trio God Forbid headed to Atlanta. Over the next couple years, big-city life cast off the three members in different directions and Kozelek was left working odd jobs in a new location. Soon, a kindred spirit was found in drummer Anthony Koutsos and the kindling for RHP was halfway there. The pair plodded westward in 1988 to San Francisco, California, where they united with bassist Jerry Vessel and guitarist Gordon Mack to form the first full incarnation of Red House Painters. Together, their Bay Area performances garnered the attention of Mark Eitzel, then figurehead of San Francisco-based American Music Club. His support spurred the Painters' six-track cassette across the pond into the sonic space of Ivo Watts-Russell, creator and owner of the luminary 4AD label. Enthralled by the undeniably beautiful music before him, Watts-Russell immediately signed the Painters and released the demo-turned-debut LP Down Colorful Hill in 1992, enchantingly setting the tone for what sounded ahead in Kozelek's musical career.

1993 saw the split release of sister eponymous opuses, familiarly known to fans as the Rollercoaster and Bridge albums for the images that seal the sepia-spun covers. Tingling spines with rippling guitars, reverb-ebbing vocals and dizzying distortion, Rollercoaster thrilled the growing fan base. Where Down Colorful Hill was a less-than-an-hour glimpse, a window into the deep Painters' psyche, the half-hour-longer, 14-song Rollercoaster enhanced the entrancing songwriter's vision, illuminating tales of lost people and settings with unique reverence. Rounding out that early burst of outputted material were eight songs, also released in 1993, which make up the christened-by-fans Bridge. Starting with a laugh, the long-playing album fittingly follows the same darkly introspective journey as the two previous albums before presenting new tricks in song selection as well as sonic experimentation. Their sequel to "New Jersey," a song from Rollercoaster, and covers of Paul Simon's "I Am a Rock" and United States' national anthem, "Star Spangled Banner," showed that the band were as willing to rework their own previously released songs as those of other artists.

The three-song Shock Me, issued in 1994, surprised fans and critics alike by cloaking Kiss' Ace Frehley tune into something entirely of their own design, exuding a marked confidence not felt on previous albums. A year later, this newfound assurance inspired the pared-down mellifluous, folksy acoustics of Ocean Beach, a transformation that brought Kozelek's once-buried vocals to the front of the mix. In addition, the inclusion of intra-Painters banter seemingly invites the listener into the studio, tearing down yet another barrier between artist and audience. In fact, Ocean Beach is the first Painters' album to include pertinent recording information, outside of mere song titles, in its liner notes. While arguably their most consistent, cohesive album to date, the nine songs of Ocean Beach signified a slight drifting away from the dream-distorted aesthetic of Watts-Russell's imprint. After just three years of being on the 4AD roster, tensions between Kozelek and Watts-Russell were coming to a head.

Sparks of spontaneity shower Songs for a Blue Guitar, a wily, intimate bedroom reverie that fought off Kozelek's earlier tendencies toward careful recording and even-more-meticulous rerecording. Ennui at bay and artistic integrity unclouded, Songs revealed a looser Kozelek who was less bound by a newcomer's uncertainty than his nostalgia-clinging lyrics might suggest. Whether aglow with shimmering guitar solos or the crunching chords that electrify Cars' cover "All Mixed Up," the album glistens with new mystery - one that self-knowingly harkens back to Down Colorful Hill (in the lyrics to "Priest Alley Song") while treading ahead to rockier, rawer textures. These moves were not met without obstacle, however, and ultimately severed the Painters' ties to 4AD. As the story goes, a lengthy solo at the heart of "Make Like Paper," an abstractly craggy aural epic that chimes in just over 12 minutes, was the main source of contention between Watts-Russell and Kozelek. And when no compromise seemed possible between the two artists, Kozelek found Supreme Recordings, a subsidiary imprint of Island that was owned by film director John Hughes. And so, by the time Songs for a Blue Guitar arrived in stores during the summer of 1996, all signs indicated that Kozelek was going solo.

But, any question marks left in the wake of Songs regarding the future of Red House Painters were quickly erased as the band began recording Old Ramon in late '97. By early '98, studio needs were drawing to a close and the sixth full-length feature was slated to drop in the summer of that year. However, said plans were thrust into chaos when Supreme Recordings fell victim to the Polygram-Universal merger, leaving the rights to Old Ramon tied to a label that had no means to release it. As the album sat silently, enduring the throes of bureaucratic red tape, Kozelek kept himself busy.

While negotiating to buy back the rights to the band's music, the restless singer promoted himself extensively, contributing to compilations and benefit albums and even dabbling a bit in cinema. As good terms were reestablished between Kozelek and Watts-Russell, the two organized Retrospective, a double-disc set culling together 25 versions, including demos and live recordings, of 4AD-era Painters' songs, along with a couple of until-then-unreleased instrumentals thrown in for good measure. And though little new material surfaced, longtime fans were again enraptured by a familiarly chilling back catalogue and were all too eager to support the release of something bearing the Red House Painters' name.

In June of 1999, Painters' contributions appeared on Badman Recording Company's Shanti Project Collection, a charity album devoted to improving the lives of AIDS patients. Around this time, Kozelek also arranged, performed on and produced Take Me Home: A Tribute to John Denver, a talent-steeped, mood-summoning homage to the late folk rocker that had been fuzzily in the mental making since Denver's death in 1997. And if musical projects weren't enough to draw out Kozelek's artistry, film director Cameron Crowe enlisted the Painters' front man to act in Almost Famous, as the bassist of fictional 1970s band Stillwater. Some seven months were spent in the glitzy city of angels giving the songwriter a much-needed respite from financial stress.

And while Old Ramon remained shelved, Kozelek gave fans a reason to scratch their collective heads, re-appropriating AC/DC lyrics on the Rock 'n' Roll Singer EP (2000) and What's Next to the Moon LP (2001). Viewing AC/DC singer Bon Scott's words as a malleable set of syllables, Kozelek breathed new life into them, causing the quotidian to quiver with meaning that is rarely realized elsewhere in music. With three metallic vapid songs from AC/DC, one country-pop track from John Denver and only three original compositions, Rock 'n' Roll Singer superficially seems nothing save a tremendous mistake, but Kozelek's artistic vision binds them into an unprecedented, yet coherent package. The deconstructive tendencies accelerated on What's Next to the Moon, culminating in the vinyl collectible If You Want Blood (2001), where it is more than evident that Scott's lyrics are merely the foundation for something entirely of Kozelek's own making.

Meanwhile, years of negotiations finally paid off for Red House Painters as Old Ramon was finally released in April 2001 on Sub Pop Records. The 70-plus minutes contained therein were a blend of acoustic and electric guitar, an expansive sound filled with new-instrumental fills but one that also largely drew on past releases. Old Ramon evokes rainy-afternoon daydreaming while sustaining a notion of its own imaginative limitations. The slowly building confessionals of early-career Red House Painters are only hinted at; instead the album's momentum is put into motion by a teleological awareness in which all stories have a beginning, middle and end.

Two years later, Kozelek confronted the world again with the release of Ghosts of the Great Highway, a full-length debut from Sun Kil Moon. The musical outfit is comprised of longtime Painters' drummer Koutsos, drummer Tim Mooney (of American Music Club fame) and bassist Geoff Stanfield (of Black Lab) as well as a string trio from the San Francisco Conservatory. Recorded between March 2002 and May 2003, Ghosts unfurled on Jetset Records in November 2003, reminding those who need it that music is meant to transcend the squalor of everyday living.

didn't read a word of that. but he was brilliant in almost famous. almost transendental.

village gig was painful to be at. one of my worst gig experiences ever. but i do like stroppy stars, deffo. especially ones who write like he does. if you ain't living the strop, don't be writing about the strop.

Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon - Whelans tonight (31st May)

Looking forward to this, who's going!!!

The good Hermie enlightened me with "Ocean Beach", great record, really nice songs...!baggyyyy

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back