Manic Street Preachers - Olympia Theatre - 16th May (1 Viewer)

Great gig last night, The Joy Formidable were the perfect opening act and when they finished up their last song I feared they would eclipse the Manics but I need not have worried !!

The place was unbelievably up for it considering it was a Monday night, I avoided the setlist so was really pleasently suprised when he started playing the Slash and Burn riff \m/ I still wish they finished their gigs with You Love Us and the difference in class between the older stuff and the new is growing bigger the more albums they release but they are still one of my favourite live acts.

The funniest part of the gig was when James gave Nicky his usual long and over blown introduction and then paused and introduced the next song as being one of the new ones there was an audible sigh from the crowd who had been whipped up into a frenzy and were (like me) expecting them to play an older song !!!!

Their was a couple infront of me in their mid to late twenties who only cheered when they played 'Your Love Alone....' and 'It's Not War....' , seemed genuinely scared during 'Of Walking Abortion' and were really suprised that they ended on 'Design For Life' the male of the couple saying "I know this one too" .... Quite strange !?!?!?

Your Love Alone got them a lot of new fans. I remember people on here saying it was the first song they ever liked by them and stuff.

spas.

Great gig last night, The Joy Formidable were the perfect opening act and when they finished up their last song I feared they would eclipse the Manics but I need not have worried !!

The place was unbelievably up for it considering it was a Monday night, I avoided the setlist so was really pleasently suprised when he started playing the Slash and Burn riff \m/ I still wish they finished their gigs with You Love Us and the difference in class between the older stuff and the new is growing bigger the more albums they release but they are still one of my favourite live acts.

The funniest part of the gig was when James gave Nicky his usual long and over blown introduction and then paused and introduced the next song as being one of the new ones there was an audible sigh from the crowd who had been whipped up into a frenzy and were (like me) expecting them to play an older song !!!!

Their was a couple infront of me in their mid to late twenties who only cheered when they played 'Your Love Alone....' and 'It's Not War....' , seemed genuinely scared during 'Of Walking Abortion' and were really suprised that they ended on 'Design For Life' the male of the couple saying "I know this one too" .... Quite strange !?!?!?

the holy bible was released 17 years ago this summer - if that couple are now 24 they were 7 when it came out. the joys of getting old..

Ah yeah I know that, I just thought it was weird that they obviously liked those two songs so much so that they got tickets to the gig but never looked into the bands back catalogue to such an extent that they didn't know their (arguably) biggest song 'Design For Life' but as you said they could have been only 10 when it came out.

That was pretty fucking fantastic.

Loads of highlights, so I won't bother listing them all! Really happy with the set-list, and surprisingly happy with EMG acoustic! They seemed to really enjoy it as well, t'was great. Tbh, I was quite happy to just stand and enjoy Let Robeson Sing and Some Kind of Nothingness due to being a bit wrecked by then! Managed to get a set-list as well. Overall, bloody great night. Hopefully many more to come.

Ah yeah I know that, I just thought it was weird that they obviously liked those two songs so much so that they got tickets to the gig but never looked into the bands back catalogue to such an extent that they didn't know their (arguably) biggest song 'Design For Life' but as you said they could have been only 10 when it came out.

the manics have a pretty big back catalouge as well at this stage - its not like when we were young!

they have the same amount of good songs now as they did then though

heh heh

Absolutely fantastic gig!

Here is the setlist:

1) Stay Beautiful
2) Your Love Alone
3) Motorcycle Emptiness
4) It's Not War
5) Life becoming a landslide
6) Enola Alone
7) My Little Empire
8) Faster
9) Slash n Burn
10) Postcards from a Young Man
11) You Stole the Sun from My Heart
12) Of Walking Abortion
13) Motown Junk
14) If you Tolerate this (intro contained 4 extra bars than usual)
15) Everything Must Go (Acoustic)
16) Masses Against the Classes
17) Let Robeson Sing
18) Some Kind of Nothingness
19) Suicide is Painless
20) You Love Us
21) A Design for Life

@I is John : The newer tracks off Postcards were amazing!

The tracks that I thought lulled the thing were My Little Empire and Let Robeson Sing.
Nicky gave a shout out to The RAGE record store as being one of the best shops he'd been in/shop of his dreams.

I don't get the hate towards 'My Little Empire', i think it's a beautiful tune - maybe not be best suited for a live gig though.

Nicky also said he really misses the chipper that used to be beside the Olympia.

And yeah, I was happy to hear My Little Empire. Nice tune.

like I said...they need to liven up Robeson by introducing the Ian Brown rap to it (skip to 2.40)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

like I said...they need to liven up Robeson by introducing the Ian Brown rap to it (skip to 2.40)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fucking hell. Even now, after all I know, that is just a little bit shockingly awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back