Man of Valour, at the Project Arts Centre until 8th June; Amazing! (1 Viewer)

the bearded lady

Website
www.joanofarse.net
It's always hard to just recommend things in a general sort of a way but this little sweetie is one that I think a lot of people would warm their cultural toes by. Just one actor (Paul Reid), no props barr very inventive lighting and a not over-used giant projection screen behind him. Reid is almost mystical in his variety of talents; he uses a lot of mime techniques, self-generated sound effects, multiple voices and accents, and such agility at voice-projection and ventriloquism that I thought Orville was going to come in at any moment in his nappy and pin and sing "I wish I could fly/right up to the sky/but I can't/(you can)/I can't!"

There are subtle enough elements of Kafka and Orwell's 1984 to this story of one man's decent from harmless Walter Mitty-like daydreams to the madness and confusion when fantasy and reality become embroiled and entangled in ever increasing sinister fights.

http://projectartscentre.ie/programme/whats-on/1754-man-of-valour

Yes, it's a tad overlong, but that can be forgiven considering the scope of the actor's talent, the strength of the script, and the clever lighting and great music. There was a very genuine spontaneous standing ovation at the end of the first nights show, the first ovation I've ever witnessed at the Project, and I go there far too much for my own good. Tickets are selling fast, but I doubt many of you would be sorry if you went.

(Orwell and Orville in the one piece? When two tribes go to war, baby!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back