Making a Murderer (2 Viewers)

Another insanely gripping WTF true crime documentary series hot on the heels of The Jinx. This is a crazy story
Making a Murderer (TV Series 2015– ) - IMDb
binge-watched this over the last couple of days. Its being talked about a lot at the moment so I'll use spoilers to give my thoughts

I found this very unsettling from the start of the first episode. I thought at one point that these were 'true-to-life' re-enactments of stuff that happened, but to think of the level of access the makers of this got from day 1, its mind-boggling really. And they making out the journalists at the court and jail were vultures, while they, themselves, were also hovering about with their cameras.

The biggest problem I have with it is that there is never any doubt given that both Stephen and Brendan are innocent and that they are victims of a miscarriage of justice. Which I reckon they probably are.

But, based on the evidence we were privy to from watching this, there is no logical way either guilty verdict could have been reached. Like, no way whatsoever. Which leads me to believe that this was purposely edited in this way.

There's little doubt there was a vendetta against this family. But theres also something in the back story of these people (that was only barely eluded to), that wasn't elaborated on.

I dunno, theres something a bit off about it all. Not just the corrupt cops and the shitty way justice was seen to be dealt out. I just can't help feeling theres something else to it that didn't come out.

I work with a lad based out near St.Paul. Thats a couple of hours from where this all took place. I'm gonna pick his brains about it. Just to see what his take on it is.

I'm not a fan of this true crime stuff at all. I couldn't stick with Serial, and though I got through the whole of this, it always felt uncomfortable to watch, and I felt like turning it off several times.

binge-watched this over the last couple of days. Its being talked about a lot at the moment so I'll use spoilers to give my thoughts

I found this very unsettling from the start of the first episode. I thought at one point that these were 'true-to-life' re-enactments of stuff that happened, but to think of the level of access the makers of this got from day 1, its mind-boggling really. And they making out the journalists at the court and jail were vultures, while they, themselves, were also hovering about with their cameras.

The biggest problem I have with it is that there is never any doubt given that both Stephen and Brendan are innocent and that they are victims of a miscarriage of justice. Which I reckon they probably are.

But, based on the evidence we were privy to from watching this, there is no logical way either guilty verdict could have been reached. Like, no way whatsoever. Which leads me to believe that this was purposely edited in this way.

There's little doubt there was a vendetta against this family. But theres also something in the back story of these people (that was only barely eluded to), that wasn't elaborated on.

I dunno, theres something a bit off about it all. Not just the corrupt cops and the shitty way justice was seen to be dealt out. I just can't help feeling theres something else to it that didn't come out.

I work with a lad based out near St.Paul. Thats a couple of hours from where this all took place. I'm gonna pick his brains about it. Just to see what his take on it is.

I'm not a fan of this true crime stuff at all. I couldn't stick with Serial, and though I got through the whole of this, it always felt uncomfortable to watch, and I felt like turning it off several times.
There's deffo something we're not being told alright.. but
even if they were guilty,especially Brendan, there's no doubt that the trials are as dodgy as fuck. Total Hicksville law. And everyone circling around. And the details they allow to appear on the news BEFORE the trail... as Stang says, repeatedly, you're innocent until proven otherwise. And as for reasonable doubt... all in all, kinda terrifying

I have to agree 100% with Scuttzer here.

In total agreement I am.

Not a big fan of true crime shite either.I also jacked in Serial halfway through second episode.

It was unpleasant and in bad taste

In total agreement I am.

Not a big fan of true crime shite either.I also jacked in Serial halfway through second episode.

Serial heads are very much in love with themselves. But I persevered. Grand for listening to when you're peeling the spuds.

Just talked to him there. He said this is a different state from where he is (Wisconsin, whereas he's in Minnesota). He wasn't familiar with the case (or even the series), but said nothing would surprise him about what happens over there.

They're known as 'cheese-heads', and are generally considered to be quite backwards.

So maybe we can take this at face-value then.

In total agreement I am.

In Serial's defence it spent half the show doubting itself. You could probably make a show about the behind the scenes breakdowns when half the world started listening to it and expecting big revelations.

Have a look at this twitter feed

Tweets with replies by Angenette Levy (@Angenette5) | Twitter

its interesting. She is one of the reporters who features in the show. The bits about evidence that didn't make it into the program are..... interesting

I think theres every chance that both those lads are guilty. At the risk of repeating myself here, I think that program does the following

- dehumanises the victim by making the 2 accused out to be the main victims
- makes the victim's family look like morons
- carries an undercurrent of 'insistence' (rather than presumtion) of innocence for the 2 accused
- is quite clearly selective about the evidence/arguments it chooses to include. For example, every prosecution argument featured was torn to shreds by the defence. So much so that there was no logical way to arrive at a guilty verdict.

From reading around it seems there are other significant factors that weren't included. Some were eluded to in the show, but not elaborated on. For example, that Avery was pestering the victim with phone calls. Read into that what yuo will.

There are also suggestions of child abuse against Avery (towards Dassey).

And the article @GO posted hits the nail on the head. There are 2 petitions demanding the 'immediate' release of Dassey and Avery. My absolute fucking hole. At most, both deserve a retrial.

And yes, there should be punishment meted out to the crooked cops and gobshite lawyers.

But mostly, fuck this show. I'm sorry I watched the fucking thing. It has my head tied up in knots.

Who was that ridiculously handsome reported the camera kept lingering on?

This prick:
averym.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back