Mac Question - sorry (2 Viewers)

Alan Remorse

hello,

buying a new mac and looking for a bitta advice. was gonna put this in techy forum but seeing as i'll be using it mostly for recording and live use, i put it here.

i currently have a powerbook that's about 3 years old. it's constantly crashing during playback in protools and it's driving me insane.

i was gonna buy the 2ghz macbook (the £1199 one):

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=MTE2NTQ

think this'd be reliable enough? i'll also be using it live with ableton. i could stretch to get the memory upgrade to 4gb (an extra 140 quid)

if anyone has any advice that'd be cool

thanks

i... dont know.

i got it second hand for a steal, was always fine up until a few months ago.

would i be better off going for the 2.4ghz?

yep, go for the 4 gigs of RAM, but remember the new macbooks don't have a firewire port now, which will mess things up if your interface is firewire based, or if you plan on recording to an external firewire drive.

Some apple dealers were selling off the remainder of the old macbooks (which do have firewire) a few weeks ago, they might still have some. It would be worth your while checking that out if you want it purely for recording, plus you would save a few quid!

i don't use a firewire interface, but why would they not have it on new macs? seems a bit silly?

just clicked on your link and saw you can still get the old macbooks from the online store too.

yeah, it is silly. it means that apple make more money out of firewire users who will now have to buy a macbook pro to use their firewire gear.

you should still think about the old macbook though, even though your interface isnt firewire, you will get higher track count and general better performance if you record to an external firewire drive. external usb drives dont really cut it for recording.

yep. works out around the same with 4 gigs of ram as the new one does with 2 gigs. I'd quite like one myself.

just clicked on your link and saw you can still get the old macbooks from the online store too.

yeah, it is silly. it means that apple make more money out of firewire users who will now have to buy a macbook pro to use their firewire gear.

you should still think about the old macbook though, even though your interface isnt firewire, you will get higher track count and general better performance if you record to an external firewire drive. external usb drives dont really cut it for recording.
yep.

I got the white macbook when i was in NYC. Couldnt have been arsed shelling out the extra dosh for the new model as it was same spec nearly (AND NO FIREWIRE!!) for $400 more. Opted to spend the extra dough on the 2 yr apple care instead. The white ones are nicer looking imo.

Got my extra ram here: (Irish company dabs.ie)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back