mac for recording??? (1 Viewer)

ann post

Supporter
Solutions
rebuilding the studio these days.

to bypass the windows/mac discussion, i'm using both anyways. as for the mac end of things i've become gradually more and more confused. i'm trying to decide between imac, powerbook and powermac.

the refurbished store always has a ton of powerbooks in the 4gb ram region, but i'm not convinced my these as i keep worrying about the heat factor. who uses one of them, have you anything to tell me on the subject of 8+ track live recording and 30+ track mixing??

the occasional imac of similar spec is turning up there, but it seems like a unwise way to spend money when the same spec powerbook is there for basically the same money. is there any notable difference here other then the enclosure??

the powermac is obviously a grand more expensive if not more, it seems like it might be a better long term spend. any input appreciated, especially if you've used or are using two of the above.

and how quite are all these.

I was in a similar quandry......
I went for a G5 ppc which suits what I do fine which sounds similar to yours.
With PPC you can get all the lplugins

G5 is really quiet.

Speed difference between laptop and tower is phenomenal....

Maybe you want to stick with laptop though.

Im basically running a computer that 3 years ago people would of loved with no complaints with running out of cpu.

Logic 8/Protools 7.4 does me fine. I dont think Ill have to upgrade. They and the G5 ds exactly what I want/need.

I have an old G4 tower that only has 1GB of RAM that is well capable of doing what you require. What am I saying? That old stuff still works.

cheers, i dont follow the mac branding too closely, what i really meant was 'the new mac thats a big rectangular box' or 'the new mac thats the fast version of the laptop'. powermac/promac whatever.

so basically they last pretty well and there is a difference between laptop and tower performance wise. not too interested in portability anyways.

cheers, i dont follow the mac branding too closely, what i really meant was 'the new mac thats a big rectangular box' or 'the new mac thats the fast version of the laptop'. powermac/promac whatever.

so basically they last pretty well and there is a difference between laptop and tower performance wise. not too interested in portability anyways.

well if you don't care about the portability get the tower. It's more upgradeable.

I'm still rockin' a G5... Running Pro Tools 7.4 (among other things) rendering is a bit slow, bt totally workable.

The MacBook I have totally kicks my desktops arse but I'd never dream of using it for pro shit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back