Cheeky Pro Tools question (1 Viewer)

Goodbye

Hay,

I'm running my protools 7.3.1 on an old G5 PPC mac, which is grand for audio.

I've been wanting to upgrade to 10.5.6 but PT 7.3.1 is a Tiger only version.

Good news is. Digidesign have sorted me out with a free upgrade to PT7.4 to run on 10.5.6 which solves my problems big time.

Now here's the cheeky part...

They've either inadvertently or intentionally sent me a second email entitling me to a free upgrade to PT 8 as well! Which is amazing, but PT8 is an intel only version.

SO - my macbook is an intel snow leopard bang up to date machine.

Would I be able to install PT 8 on the macbook while having PT7.4 running on the G5 & just swap out the iLok whenever I wanted to use PT portably?

I'm assuming PT 8 is a fresh install rather than an upgrade since its a completely new build for intel machines.

Can I have a PT 8 & PT 7.4 licences together on the same iLok? (If I've to buy a new iLok to do this, I would...)

(and before anyone says so, I know its not allowed, I'm just wondering if its possible in theory.)

Thats my thinking.

BUT when I upgrade to PT8 in my online iLok account would that in turn render the PT7.4 license null & void?

This I'd want to avoid as the 7.4 would be my main machine. The 8 would be only for occasional use portably.

Obviously you're using an iLok that came pre authorized with Pro Tools

I don't own an iLok key. I always thought the fact that you need the hardware attached to your computer to open Protools acted as protection against software pirating for Avid. In fact I have an old mac with PT 7 on it and a new one with PT8 on it and both run with my DIGI 002. Both were bought legally and since Digidesign gave you both your copies then I would imagine you have a right to use both.

Of course you wouldn't have an iLok account if you didn't have an iLok key. (jaysus)

I use PT m-powered which requires an iLok.

What I'm trying to avoid is overwriting my 7.4 license with the 8 license. Basically have my cake & eat it too.

A second iLok would be the obvious solution I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back