Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
I know we all know, but still...

R.I.P

tumblr_mvcc9s5MLM1sy9b3lo1_400.jpg

Very sad to hear this one.

Will be rocking this all night.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wow, great quality. This sounds terrific, and I don't think its just the sentimentality of the occasion.

I've just realised that I haven't got anything except live in 1975 which i think @dudley; posted on here ages ago, and Velevet Underground and Nico on my iPod. I had VU White Light White Heat and Transformer on my old iPod but that's dead and now I'm going to have to pay a way more to get those albums again. Fuck sake.

And with that kind of curmudgeonly post I pay tribute to Lou the god of Curmudgeonliness.

Here he is explaining why Scaninavia is shit.

playing "disco mystic" today and now the kids are singing everything to that tune

at lunchtime:
"milk or water?"
"milk please, milk please daddy. milk please, milk please daddy"

http://www.uproxx.com/music/2013/10/lou-reed-bill-scheft/

It’s the day after Lou Reed’s passing and the internet is drowning in glowing Lou Reed tributes. Because it’s important to strike a balance and perhaps remember that not everyone liked Lou Reed, I bring you this anecdote from the Tumblr of Letterman staff writer Bill Scheft.

According to Scheft, he and Reed once frequented the same clinic in Manhattan and were apparently on the same schedule to have blood work done for a spell in the 90s. Scheft says that at this clinic the blood was drawn by a a “don’t-start-with-me Latina” nurse named Inez.

Take it away, Bill
The whole thing took a couple of minutes and I always tried to be as pleasant as I could. If you’ve had blood drawn, it’s an art. The people who can do it never hurt you. Inez had the move. Finally, we were friendly enough that I could take our relationship to the next level.

“You know, you have a celebrity here?”

“Who?” she said.

“The guy who came in before me.”

“Lou?”

“Yeah. That’s Lou Reed. He is one of the most influencial rock musicians of the last 30 years.”

“Well,” said Inez, “that guy? He may be one of the most influencial rock musicians of the last 30 years, but he’s also a f*cking a$shole.”

This is all very nice but I've a vague feeling that if he had been from, say, Newbridge and not New York we'd have thought he was a total wanker who did some good/amazing stuff decades ago and wouldn't care too much.

There's a piece on the Guardian from some writer who says he listened to Metal Machine Music for a couple of weeks while writing or doing something and it "helped". You wouldn't even get a Morrissey acolyte saying that about Kill Uncle.

I dunno. Never really liked him apart from VU. Listened to Transformer a few times and thought it wasn't much better than a dozen New York proto-punk/punk/new wave albums released around then. And I say that as a lad who bought White Light/White Heat on tape from Dun Laoghaire Market aged about 14 and loved it. Ha! The looks on my (two) friends' faces when I played them Sister Ray....good tune.

Just my thoughts. I was surprised at the outpouring of grief and the front page on the Indo and whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back