Lighthouse cinema (2 Viewers)

€200,000 pa > €100,000 pa > €0 pa

I know cinemas are different to computers/tellies but I wonder do arthouse places suffer from the fact that people can download most interesting non-angloamerican stuff. Like 20 or even 10 years ago it would have been much harder to source unusual films that it is nowadays.

I dunno if a more populist cinema would work in that locale, sure how far away is Cineworld? 10 minute walk?

When you're talking about outhouse cinema then I would have thought people would prefer to see the film on a big screen like its intended to be watch. Like if I was living in Dublin I'd be in the various arty cinema several times a week.

Cinema granted adjournment in rent dispute

Updated: 12:49, Monday, 28 March 2011
http://addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250

The High Court has granted an adjournment to Dublin's Light House Cinema, which is threatened with closure.
1 of 1
00045073-314.jpg
Smithfield - Lighthouse cinema opened here in 2008

The High Court has granted an adjournment to Dublin's Light House Cinema, which is threatened with closure.
The Court was hearing a petition to wind up the cinema that was issued by its landlord, John Flynn, following a rent dispute.
The cinema says Mr Flynn doubled its annual rent in May 2010 from €100,000 to €200,000.
It says it is not in a position to pay the increased rent and has been trying to negotiate with Mr Flynn.
Today, counsel for the cinema asked the High Court to adjourn the petition for 3 weeks to allow the board of directors to meet to adopt a reasoned approach to the matter - the board, she said, intended to act decisively.
Following an objection to an adjournment by lawyers for Mr Flynn, the judge, Mrs Justice Mary Laffoy said she would adjourn the matter until 15 April.
After the hearing, one of the cinema's founders, Neil Connolly, who was in court, said he was happy that an adjournment had been granted to allow the parties to attempt to reach a settlement.
The 4-screen Light House Cinema opened in Smithfield in May 2008 and employs 20 people.
The cinema benefited from government grants worth €1.75m.
Last week, Minister for Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht Affairs, Jimmy Deenihan, said the cinema might have to pay back the money to the State or alternatively, he said, a consortium involving the Arts Council and the Irish Film Board could run an art house cinema on the site.

this beggars belief really

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0401/breaking26.html

A row over rents at the Blanchardstown Centre in Dublin is to result in the loss of more than 100 jobs.
The trade union Mandate said that staff had been informed this morning that eight Arcadia Group outlets in the Blanchardstown Centre will close in September.

Mandate's divisional organiser Brendan O'Hanlon said that the Arcadia Group outlets in the centre included Topman, Topshop, Dorothy Perkins, Burtons, Miss Selfridge, Wallis, Outfit and Evans. He said the stores had 104 staff.

"This morning at 10am, Arcadia management called staff into a meeting to inform them that because of the refusal of the Blanchardstown Centre's management to agree to a reduction in the rents being charged the stores will close in September as their current lease runs out on September 17th next.
"Argos has already announced that it will be closing its Blanchardstown store in July for the same reason."

He said that the closure of the stores were not in any way linked to any industrial relations issues.

Mr O'Hanlon said that staff were "shocked and disappointed" at the development. He said Mandate would be engaging with Arcadia to minimise the number of job losses and to negotiate the best possible terms for those who will be made redundant.

However, he said it would be much preferable if the closure of the stores could be avoided.

He said the union was calling on the management of the Blanchardstown Centre to negotiate more reasonable rents with Arcadia and other retailers.

"The Blanchardstown Centre's management need to 'get real' about the rents they are charging in what is now a very depressed market for retail. It is totally unreasonable for them and other commercial property landlords to insist on maintaining arrangements that were put in place in a very different economic situation," Mr O’Hanlon said.

click the like button

that'll work

about as effective as the #countmeout hashtag thing

EDIT: Not countmeout, was something else #dontspeakforme or something

click the like button

that'll work

about as effective as the #countmeout hashtag thing

Exactly.

Facebook groups are like a wank in the shower. Fun and all but never going to create or produce anything.

If half of those tossers on there went even once a fortnight the place would still be open.

fuck, what about the €1.75 million grant they got through the Arts Council and Department of Arts/Sport/Tourism???

thats bollox.

Thirdly, it should be remembered that the State has sunk €1.75 million into this building and will no doubt want to see a return on its investment. To this end, the Minister for the Arts Jimmy Deenihan has already said that the property could be run as an art-house cinema by the Cultural Cinema Consortium, which is made up of members of the Arts Council and the Irish Film Board. This seems to me the most likely outcome.

The cinema in its current guise might be at an end, but I wouldn’t consider the lights to be doused just yet.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/pur...his-might-not-be-the-end-for-the-light-house/

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back