Letter to Emily (1 Viewer)

Are the days of beautiful sounding recordings threatened do yiz reckon?

No..far from it.The opposite in fact.

As more and more music technology becomes more and more readily available,kidz will be starting out using it younger and younger and getting better and better at it.They'll come up with stuff we probably would never even have thought of..myriad ways to manipulate sound and form ..that we possibly wont like or maybe even understand..take Dubstep for example..complete arse..but thats our problem and our fault for getting old.Cycle of life innit.Same thing happened to Jazz when Elvis started in with all his quivering and gyratin.

Having said all that...I hear beautifully recorded beautiful sounding music regularly on the wireless.But beautiful in this instance dosent equate with any use.Most of its muck.But thats just my opinion.

Not enough storytelling in songs these days..its all just David Cassidy.But thats for another rant.

I have not. It's a fair point.

And most people could probably not afford George Martin to produce either.

I was chancing my arm. Didn't think anyone would pull me on it.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My record for duplicates is
LP, Picture Disc, Cassette, CD, CD reissue with Bonus Disc.

Not proud.

Clutching At Straws by Marillion

Have two copies of that. LP and double CD.

Great album, stands up well.

I like it. I've no albums post-87 but do have the two CD singles boxes; the second 89-95 I suppose gives a flavour of the Hogarth era.

Yes and No. Their singles have never really represented them properly. Like many bands.

What's the best starting point for the Hogarth era - albumwise?

Seasons End is a gentle entry. Marbles is in at the deep end.

HA! This is the conversation @Anthony joined Thumped to have!

I wish grooveshark gave artists money. I love grooveshark so much I actually pay for it, and so does Mrs. egg_. It's class being able make playlists and see what other people are listening to etc.

Groove shark?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've moved loads of times and never lost or damaged CDs / records etc.
On the other side, if you moved house to another country it'd cost you an insane amount of money to ship thousands of records (especially *your* collection, which would probably sink a small boat), while it would cost you nothing to stick an external hard drive of wav/flac files (mp3s are shit, let's never speak of them again) in your carry on luggage. So there is the convenience there.

hard to know what to add to this discussion, but it must be a totally different experience to be growing up with broadband and being able to download anything you want in seconds.

i dont bother downloading stuff. i used to share mp3 dumps with a guy in work when we got free memory sticks, but it's pointless. i never listen to half that shit. im at an age now where i have a few bands i stick with and the vast majority of new music i get is at gigs. it's much easier to connect with bands i can go see play.

whether or not people downloading stuff is stopping anyone from 'making it' is debatable i'd say. the definition of that is open to interpretation anyway...which is a topic im sure ive read on here before many times.

p.s. i havent read the link or half the posts in this thread.

p.p.s dublin city fm had quincy jones featured on this mornings live drive and i did consider downloading some of that stuff....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back