Letter to Emily (2 Viewers)

I've signed up with iTunes, so I can get free apps and podcasts and whatnot.

I'm just going to give them money.

The industry cannot seriously expect most people to go into a shop and pay for something when it's falling out of the sky for nothing.

rsdshirt%203.jpg

Is some of this not just the laws of supply and demand (most people just think about demand) - if a supplier will still supply their goods when the price is zero or even negative, then you would expect a high demand. If a farmer keeps selling potatoes even when the price he gets is zero, is that the buyer's fault? Musicians incur expenditure and lose money on making music, knowing that some of the revenue will leak away in downloads, but musicians have a decision to make about whether they will go ahead anyway. All the evidence to date is that music continues to be made regardless of the revenue stream - I don't see an indie band strike coming.

Musicians need to make a mental note of all the free stuff they get from the internet in terms of promotion, cheaper distirbution, reviews and other coverage. A few years ago we were actually paying €200-300 for billboard space to promote gigs at the Isaac butt. You can't expect to have the internet, but only the good bits.

As for Emily - she would never have bought 11,000 albums, so what's the real loss anyway.

It's ironic to me that this article is written by him. I've purchased one of his albums four times over the years (lost the cd twice and splashed out for the deluxe vinyl reissue w/ tshirt). I also travelled to all the way to New York to see them play on their farewell tour because they never played Ireland and the cheap bastard didn't even give me a guestlist. And that's fine, he owes me far less than I owe him. But all the article really says to me is that scabby people will always be scabby, it's just easier now to be scabby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

M Stevens & The Ghasts + Vega Storm
Wexford Street
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back