Letter to Emily (1 Viewer)

This whole situation is getting me down.I no longer know what to make of it.My mind changes about it all every single day.One day I'm pro sharing..the next anti.One day the future seems awesome..the next doom laden.

Whats becoming apparent is that a day job is an unavoidable neccessity to all but a tiny majority of artists(which we all knew all along anyway really)and that we will be further removed from society at large due to the fact that the majority of our non work hours will be devoted to music therefore leaving little time for anything else..specifically, relationships will be nigh on impossible with all but the most significant people in our lives.

Just as well I love music so much!Or else I'd be fucked.

Now to get my CV together.I'm gonna apply for a job in Aldis.They are dead sound.

This whole situation is getting me down.I no longer know what to make of it.My mind changes about it all every single day.One day I'm pro sharing..the next anti.One day the future seems awesome..the next doom laden.
....it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way....

Deadman..you shoulda left the long one!

Also..its of little very chilly comfort that I am surely not alone feeling like this.I don't believe anyone has all the answers.Most of us don't even know how to put the question.

All I know is,the world is run by smarter people than myself,whose whim I am at whether I like or not.

So on that note..I'm gonna try not worry about it all too much and just make hay while I can.

I'll be interested to see how this whole thing pans out though.Fast Forward 20 years..it'll be all Nicky Minaj clones generated by a Google supercomputer in their secret fortress of culture..complete with usb nipples

As for the notion that young people are not buying music, digital single sales are enormous, the single has replaced the album by and large as the primary sales unit for music in the US and UK. Lots of pop singles of the last 5 or so years have sold 5 and even 10 million downloads. Ke$ha, The Black Eyed Peas, Bruno Mars have all sold more digital copies of some of their singles than the Beatles did of almost any of their 45s. This is while the videos for these songs have 100,000,000s of views on youtube. I suppose the

It seems there are plenty of people who don't really engage with what the internet can do vis-a-vis piracy, so a quick and easy $1 or €1 download to their phone is the way they get music they want to listen to away from youtube. Piracy or the shift to digital does seem to have decimated the low-to-mid echelon sphere of artists who were on major labels but never had a huge amount of fans.

The "record labels treat acts like pigs so I'm not giving them my money" argument is so worn out at this point.

Rabblerabble etc.

As for the notion that young people are not buying music, digital single sales are enormous, the single has replaced the album by and large as the primary sales unit for music in the US and UK. Lots of pop singles of the last 5 or so years have sold 5 and even 10 million downloads. Ke$ha, The Black Eyed Peas, Bruno Mars have all sold more digital copies of some of their singles than the Beatles did of almost any of their 45s. This is while the videos for these songs have 100,000,000s of views on youtube. I suppose the

It seems there are plenty of people who don't really engage with what the internet can do vis-a-vis piracy, so a quick and easy $1 or €1 download to their phone is the way they get music they want to listen to away from youtube. Piracy or the shift to digital does seem to have decimated the low-to-mid echelon sphere of artists who were on major labels but never had a huge amount of fans.

The "record labels treat acts like pigs so I'm not giving them my money" argument is so worn out at this point.

Rabblerabble etc.

This is the real issue for the big labels now I reckon, the age of the album is dead so it's all single song downloads which don't make quite as much money as an album would.

In my humble opinion vanity packaging is the way forward, would be nice if the cost of producing vinyl came down a tad.

Re: Wireless music streaming

Dunno why post was moved, it has nothing to with wireless hifi.

This is the real issue for the big labels now I reckon, the age of the album is dead so it's all single song downloads which don't make quite as much money as an album would.

In my humble opinion vanity packaging is the way forward, would be nice if the cost of producing vinyl came down a tad.

You'll also notice that the when record companies say "sales are down X% since 19XX" that 19XX is always somewhere in the early 90s when they were flush from flogging their back catalogues.

If you compare to the 60S or 70S the drop in revenue isn't actually that terrible - bad for sure - but not the catastrophe that they like to speak about.

In general instead of flogging a 90 minute CD full of live versions, bonus cuts, old B sides, and jokey cover versions they are now flogging single songs on i-tunes. And Apple are getting the biggest cut (you never hear Apple whine about how files-haring is killing their i-tunes business, why?).

It was bad business by the record companies - people who buy music continue to buy music and people who never did still don't (though they may consume more at less cost than previously) - file-sharing is a scapegoat and a red herring for the fact that they completely fucked the transition to digital, lost a golden opportunity to control the market themselves through the Napster deal, and Steve Jobs was ultimately smarter than all of them put together.

music-industry.jpg

This is the picture adjusted for population and inflation.

Actually, the album is doing better than you think. This is an article I did for Jim carroll's blog about a year ago.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ont...est-post-500-words-of-summer-mumblin-deaf-ro/

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back