Lehmans gone under. (1 Viewer)

As far as I understand it, they just wanted someone to go in there, and spread a little love around, a few hugs, a cheery smile, maybe a ruffled head of hair and a playful pretend punch to the shoulder.

But janey mac, if there weren't some grumpy boots being worn at the office on Friday...

That's the way I understand it anyway.

There's loads of empty flats here in Swords. 20 square foot anarchosyndicalist theatre 'space' and compound anyone?

There's currently about 20-30 fully empty buildings around Ellen Street and the site of this fucking Opera Center monstrosity that's going up. It's an entire block in the city empty, the only thing that's left in there is Trinity Rooms & The Library on one of the corners, there's tonnes of potential theatre space in there. And that's not even mentioning the empty car parks, tax office building, corporation office buildings, many many shops etc.

Limerick really is a joke.

I think Ireland is totally fucked.
I dunno dude. Outside of housing things are still ticking over ok here, I think. The place I work is busy as hell again after a worryingly slow summer (though one decent-sized project can make the outlook here turn from bleak to rosy overnight). Pharma and IT are still trucking, and people are buying iPhones, y'know?

Though the organic section in Tesco in Drogheda has been replaced with a "price savers" section

I dunno dude. Outside of housing things are still ticking over ok here, I think. The place I work is busy as hell again after a worryingly slow summer (though one decent-sized project can make the outlook here turn from bleak to rosy overnight). Pharma and IT are still trucking, and people are buying iPhones, y'know?

Though the organic section in Tesco in Drogheda has been replaced with a "price savers" section

Maybe it's not.
Intel look like they'll be in Ireland for a long time. And I imagine some other big IT firms will stay for some time too.

But Ireland will go in to recession. And I don't think Ireland will recover to the same level it was two or three years ago for a long time.

"Totally fucked" is over-the-top. "Fucked" is more reasonable.

This global downturn is great.
When the dust settles we'll end up with one big bank that owns us all.
Then the real 21st century sci-fi can start.
Yup. USA Inc.
What with the Fed acquiring Fannie an Freddie and BofA(who pulls the strings of the Fed) buying Merril Lynch for 44Billion. Now instead of instead of declaring bankruptcy and starting over, they'll just throw you into one of the dozens FEMA camps with inward facing barbed wire with the rest of the human resources.

I'm looking forward to the warmhearted movie about a call centre in Newcastle which changes to an Adult Chat Line after it loses all its business.

Interesting op-ed piece:
http://www.richarddelevan.com/2008/07/14/why-irish-emigration-wont-be-like-the-1980s/

And according to the economist (July, 2008):
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The budget deficit is forecast to reach 6.7% in 2010. Reversing the loss of fiscal control will dominate economic policymaking. It would be unprecedented for a sitting government to breach EU budget rules by such a margin and there is possibility of sanctions being imposed by the EU.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Sharply deteriorating economic numbers have caused us to revise our GDP growth forecasts. We now expect the Irish economy to contract in 2008-09, mainly because of the ongoing slowdown in the property sector. 2010 should see a return to growth.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Unemployment will rise sharply over the forecast period, but the level it reaches will depend on the proportion of recent immigrants who choose to remain in the country.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Real Ireland.
Back to the days when you'd be getting your dinner by legging it around Superquinn, eating all the tasters until security recognise you.

Hahaha, Myself and billy will come back, and we're going to buy and sell yis.

"Not now Bono, I'm putting a bid in for the East Link. Just fucking get the blue ones, alright?
No. They look grand. With the blue lenses...right.
Jesus... I know. Just try not to scratch them this time, OK?
I know.
I know.
Yeah. Alright. Gotta go."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back