Leaving the Catholic Church - countmeout.ie (1 Viewer)

That they'd in fact be better Christians AND citizens if they demanded, AS CHRISTIANS, to remove the church from the state.

In reality though what does this actually mean? Is the church/state thing not more a notional thing these days? By that I mean its influence by the church on policy, rather than anything thats official or somehow legally binding?

How would we even go about removing the church from the state?

In reality though what does this actually mean? Is the church/state thing not more a notional thing these days? By that I mean its influence by the church on policy, rather than anything thats official or somehow legally binding?

How would we even go about removing the church from the state?

I can't give you anywhere near a complete answer, but simple steps (relative to the whole) would be changing how the schools and hospitals are run, etc.

But that's probably just the top layer of the mess.

The good news is that, in many ways, the history of the state is a history of moving away from religious extremism. It was only 40 years ago when the amendment taking away the Catholic church's special position passed. Since then Ireland has become multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-racial; things are changing fast.

But lookit, my kids are gonna be forced into being confirmed into the Catholic church, simply because they want an education, and we don't want them to miss out on an important cultural milestone.

To me that's all kinds of fucked up, but it's changing... quickly... we just need to make sure it changes into something we aren't trying to patch up again in another 100 years.

Last edited:

does a mention of 'God' = 'religion' though?

A lot of those christian groups would probably strongly disagree. Don't born-again-christians consider that they're not religious, per se.

Though maybe I'm taking this towards a semantic argument. But it did occur to me. There are a lot of people who believe in god who are not catholic, protestant, or any other recognised religion.

I was never baptised or christened and managed to go to a Catholic school. Just need to be signed up to another religion far as I know.

does a mention of 'God' = 'religion' though?

A lot of those christian groups would probably strongly disagree. Don't born-again-christians consider that they're not religious, per se.

Though maybe I'm taking this towards a semantic argument. But it did occur to me. There are a lot of people who believe in god who are not catholic, protestant, or any other recognised religion.

Personal belief is a tricky one, as even in an organised religion very few people agree about everything, when pressed.

So what percentage of catholic dogma do you need to believe to be a catholic.

Jesus - that guy - didn't think much was important in the end except belief in him being the son of god.

So.

It's a toughie.

I'd suggest the most clear cut way to view religion is a personal faith in some outside god related thing. The rest is just an organisational issue.

Is this just a fear that you won't get the ride?

A valid fear of course.

Is this just a fear that you won't get the ride?

A valid fear of course.

Abso

On two levels. Decreased compatibility, in her view, could diminish my chances.
Also, in the back of my head I think religious girls wait longer.

I fudged my answer. Only honourable thing to do.

Abso

On two levels. Decreased compatibility, in her view, could diminish my chances.
Also, in the back of my head I think religious girls wait longer.

I fudged my answer. Only honourable thing to do.

I suppose the only truly honourable thing to do before deciding on the level of your deceit is to find out if she believes in sex before marriage.

Or have a little respect for her or whatever, I GUESS.

I suppose the only truly honourable thing to do before deciding on the level of your deceit is to find out if she believes in sex before marriage.

Or have a little respect for her or whatever, I GUESS.

My level of deceit is not a variable. Long since set.

I have oodles of respect for her. Enough not to give her some long answer to a question that doesn't matter anyway.

My level of deceit is not a variable. Long since set.

I have oodles of respect for her. Enough not to give her some long answer to a question that doesn't matter anyway.

so... you just say no? Unless you do in which case you just say yes?

Are we* trying to find out if she believes in God at the same time? Does she believe in Guardian Angels?

*we are now all courting her BTW

Clearly I'm being internetty here. I told her the truth, or a nice version of it.

But that is hardly funny now, is it?

Damn. Life can't always (or ever) be like a Judd Apatow movie.

Are we* trying to find out if she believes in God at the same time?

Anyone that asks that question is a believer.

It's like someone asking you if you eat animal flesh. It pretty much means they are a vegetarian.

You return the question, but only to be polite.
And it's smart make yourself comfortable for the ensuing long answer.

In the past I've heard a few priests giving out from the altar about members of his congregation who receive communion and yet go home and use contraception

we would discuss it in bed afterwards

Well there are lot of political reasons for protestantism in the first place. Even at one time rome declared north america to belong to france and south america to belong to spain wich was another reason for england to break away.
But "protestantism" has its own rules, regulations and churches to be adhered to so just because some one steps outside the catholic church does not necessarily mean that they become protestant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back