Leaving the Catholic Church - countmeout.ie (1 Viewer)

Well, you probably have to believe all the stuff that they say it's heretical not to believe in.

Sure, sure, but considering that Catholics beliefs have changed over the decades, what does that mean exactly?

Some catholics think that at some point the very non-biblical notion of purgatory will be chucked out, so if it IS, at some point, will catholics that die now NOT believing in purgatory go to heaven, etc., etc., etc.

So to that end, and because organised religion at the very best of times is a crapshoot on someone else's beliefs about what religion is, I'd say the ONLY thing that ties it all together is a personal belief in some sort of god or gods.

Sure, sure, but considering that Catholics beliefs have changed over the decades, what does that mean exactly?

It's what the church in Rome considers moving with the times.

Some catholics think that at some point the very non-biblical notion of purgatory will be chucked out, so if it IS, at some point, will catholics that die now NOT believing in purgatory go to heaven, etc., etc., etc.

Whatever Rome says at the time will be the case. They have good scholars who will decide this for us.

So to that end, and because organised religion at the very best of times is a crapshoot on someone else's beliefs about what religion is, I'd say the ONLY thing that ties it all together is a personal belief in some sort of god or gods.

That's not what the Rome says. Not at all. You heathen.

Whatever Rome says at the time will be the case. They have good scholars who will decide this for us.
that should be a laughable statement but sadly its actually true. I never heard about this Vatican one, vactican two bullshit until the pope died there a few years ago. And me brought up a catholic. And now that I've heard of them I still have no clue what they are.

that should be a laughable statement but sadly its actually true. I never heard about this Vatican one, vactican two bullshit until the pope died there a few years ago. And me brought up a catholic. And now that I've heard of them I still have no clue what they are.

To depress you even more, I was raised a Protestant in the US and we were taught about them.

In fairness, I don't think pointing out the inaccuracies in many of the stories is the same as praising the Church.

In fairness I was very clearly using hyperbole.

anyway that Spiked article is leading and inaccurate itself.

for example:

Many of the more shocking claims made about Ireland’s nun-run Magdalene Laundries, in movies, books and newspaper articles, were called into question by the Irish government’s exhaustive report published last year

Exhaustive? the same exhuastive report that the UN Committee Against Torture said "lacked many elements of a prompt, independent and thorough investigation as recommended by the committee” and "did not conduct a fully independent investigation into allegations of arbitrary detention, forced labour or ill-treatment"

(http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/cat/docs/followup/IrelandFurtherInfo22May2013.pdf).

The unhealthy obsession over the past 10 years with raking over Ireland’s past has little to do with confirming such facts and instead has become a kind of grotesque moral sport, providing kicks to the anti-Catholic brigade and fuel to the historical self-flagellation that now passes for public life in Ireland.
What the fuck are spiked playing at? There's a fundamental misunderstanding of how modern Ireland works going on here.

Last edited:
Sure, sure

hudsucker023.jpg

And what's wrong with Knock? Bah, Fatima indeed.

Do people really believe in the Knock thing or do we all understand it was just a ploy to create jobs and tourism in the West?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back