Leaving Cert '06 (1 Viewer)

how does points work these days? please explain. i am dim and i just want to be sure it runs in the fambly.

I tried to explain the points system to my aunt recently and failed miserably. THe woman has 9 children, most of whom went to college, and one heading into 6th year, so she's done marvellously well to have fought off any understanding of the system til now.... :rolleyes:

Right, you have a a course, lets say Law. You're competing with everyone else who applied for that course. They open the floodgates and 300 people apply. But lets say they only have 30 places...so obviously the places are filled by the 30 applicants with the highest points.

Lets say the points possessed by that group of 30 lucky applicants range from 600 down to, say 550, then it means that the points are published in the CAO listings for the next year as being 550. This is a reference point for those doing the Leaving next year who hope to enter this course, coz it means that they have a ballpark figure to aim towards. They'll try to get 550 or above in the hope that the 30 highest applicants in the next year have roughly the same points scores as the previous year...

..but obviously, it's not a set thing - the points might say 550 for last year, but this year, you're simply competing again with your fellow applicants. So, if the 30th highest points score among the top 30 applicants is 570, for example, then it means that the door is shut on those with anything lower than that, coz the course is already full - of people who got 570 or above. Those who got 550 and, based on last years figures, thought they had a chance, are fucked.

Then, the CAO reprints the 2006 points for that law course as 570, as a reference point for next year's applicants.

Equally, points can go down in a similar manner. But for some reason, most courses tend to hover around a particular points tally for whatever reason and rarely tend to fluctuate by anything more than 10 or 15 points from year to year.

And the reason points for medicine tend to be really high is simply an indication of the points achievements of the people applying. It's a highly desired course among those who achieve very high points. Uh, obviously.

jesus. seems to me you have to go to college first in order to understand how to get there.

lets hope little hec gets into waste management of burgerflip 101 like he hoped. first grey ever to win and exam. we're all cut up.

Jesus 575 points! I was working out if I get the A-Level Grades I'm expecting over the next two years that I'll get 405 points for a course in UCD which is 315 points at the minute. Bet I still dont get in with that though

as someone who did his leaving cert in 1990 i can say without question that if you fuck this up your life is over.

town was full of little cunts last night. some cunt, roysh, tried to shoulder charge me. i was on the fucking phone and minding my bidnith, and i was about to say, hold on til i smash these cunts up, but i didn't cos i'm a grown up and all i said was "cunts". these little bastards clearly can't behave in public. i suppose they were off southsoide to kill some poor fucker outside a nightclub. good enough for them. then there was this lass, only a across th eroad, unconcious on the ground, and two dozy looking cunts with their collars turned up laughing at one another. then there was a q of about 40,000 people outside q bar what used to be the harp and i thought to myself... this is the future of this country? seriously? these fucking idiots? you know what, they can fucking have it. i'm off to poland cos i hear there's less poles there than here.

Got two A's and a B. Yeooooooow

buckfast.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back