Leaving Cert '06 (2 Viewers)

Got two A's and a B. Yeooooooow​

buckfast.jpg

nerd.

I heard you looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to you in the exam.

(c) Woody Allen

That line would've had a better rhythm if you'd been more faithful to the original and left out the last three words.

Part of the Woody genius is giving his jokes the best possible rhythm, wouldn't you agree? Or am I being an arsehole? :confused:

i hate the newspaper's (irish times)focusing on the high achievers. it irritates me

who does better in the leaving cert? the person who's expected to get 7 A1's and gets 6A1 iof the person who's expected to fail but passes it?

or the person who get's 550 points when he needs 575 or the person who get's 250 points when he only needed 225

i like to complain

i hate the newspaper's (irish times)focusing on the high achievers. it irritates me

who does better in the leaving cert? the person who's expected to get 7 A1's and gets 6A1 iof the person who's expected to fail but passes it?

or the person who get's 550 points when he needs 575 or the person who get's 250 points when he only needed 225

i like to complain

I don't think that's complainy, I think that's more than valid, it's an important point. I think there need to be methods of evaluating schools, but this is precisely why they can't evaluate them based on leaving results, even if they are scaled or pro-rated or whatever, and that's why I think benchmarking is scary. The fact is, a teacher who teaches at a posh school where the kids all get grinds will look better on paper (and may well be a very good teacher) than one who works in a difficult school where even to get a kid to sit the Junior Cert is a victory worth celebrating and rewarding.

Also, placing so much emphasis on exam results is totally fucked up, especially since once kids get to college, the first thing they're told is 'forget everything you were ever taught'. Must make it seem really upsetting, and like they've somehow been duped. I tried to phrase it in a more positive way to my first years, like explaining that it's a totally different system, and the leaving cert marks their mastery of that system, which they then leave and try something totally new. But they were still scared as fuck because the Leaving didn't prepare them for what they were being asked to do.

UGH. I don't even want to start ranting about the Leaving because it will stress me out. It just breaks my fucking heart that there's so much emphasis on this one set of exams, and these are teenagers who are already screwy with hormones, and seriously, fair fucking dues to ANYONE who makes it through the damn thing at all at all. I knew a guy whose test anxiety was so bad that he had to sit it three times just to get to college. But the thing is, he was the hardest working student ever and was really, really good, and shouldn't have had to waste three years of his life hoping that he'd have a non-high-anxiety week during that particular part of June.

CRAP, I HAVE STARTED RANTING. Pete, please ban me.

well I'm only on Thumped now to reveal my results and I got a grand total of 425 points. 45 points short of the Trinity course I wanted but fuck it sure, I'll get my third choice for definite here in Limerick.

well I'm only on Thumped now to reveal my results and I got a grand total of 425 points. 45 points short of the Trinity course I wanted but fuck it sure, I'll get my third choice for definite here in Limerick.

That's exactly what I got. I had to do it twice though.
Well done dude.

are the subjects done in one sitting? Like, do you only have 3 exams?
Or are they split into two papers like some of ours?

Nah you do four sets of exams over 2 years. And you get to repeat the exams you fuck in at some point over the two years.

Even better one of my subjects counts as two and I dont do any exams in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back