Leaving a flat/house/apt/whatever (1 Viewer)

penexpers

I'm just about to leave my first rented accomodation. How clean does the place usually have to be? I.e should I bother with cleaning out the oven etc.. or should a quick once over do the trick?

depends what ur contract says but the house we're in now was given a good once over by the landlords own cleaner before we moved in, although the previous tenants left loads of shite, including a mouldy wash in the washing machine and loads of perfectly good beer in the fridge.

you have to do the old 'oh we're moving next month so you can have the deposit as this months rent' lark.

i am in the same boat at the mo
fuck, i am not looking forward to the clean i have ahead of me..
have moved the majority of my stuff home tho

I spent the weekend painting the walls in my gaff (moving in a couple of weeks)- better to spend a bit of cash on cheap paint than lose a deposit

I had to bring a landlord to court before, because the lanlord deducted "cleaning-up" money from my depsoit

In general landlords are untrustworthy, greedy liars, especially in Dublin.

Do you not have time to clean the house properly? If you do, do it. Not worth the risk. Maybe ask your landlord/lady what they expect.... if they seem sound enough.. my last landlady was an angel. I think our flat is still empty if anyone wants it.

When we were in college in tralee, mates of mine spent hours upon hours cleaning their gaff, only to have the plumbing for the entire apartment block come in through the roof at around 4am night before they were due to vacate. Got none of their deposit back or any compensation for water damage (including guitars/amps that were dead). If the landlords have no intention of giving you back your deposit, they'll not give it back, i personally don't think cleaning makes a tap of difference.

Still waiting on my deposit to come back from my old landlords. It better be in soon, or I'm contacting the solicitors.

Anyway, if you want to do them over, stick sausages in various nooks and crannies around the house.

It'll pong beyond belief about two weeks later.

It always helps to give it a bit of a clean, especally if you want to get a ref of the landlord in future. Ive been pretty blessed with landlords never lost a deposit. I think going through letting agents is the worst, they screw you big time.

Try to leave before the rest of the housemates leave, thus getting deposit back easily as you only have to sort your room out and then they get stung for everything when they leave.

Someone did it to me and a mate.....not bitter.

cunt

Like the 'hide the sausage' idea. Thumped is like Viz handy hints sometimes.

I've always left rented accommodation spotless, and the only time I lost (part of) a deposit was a summer rent from a psycho in Munich (been renting since 1991). Cleaning an oven isn't that big a deal - just buy some brillo pads

Fuck Schillaci said:
Still waiting on my deposit to come back from my old landlords. It better be in soon, or I'm contacting the solicitors.

Anyway, if you want to do them over, stick sausages in various nooks and crannies around the house.

It'll pong beyond belief about two weeks later.

i am never giving the keys of a place back until i have the deposit in my hand.
have had to chase the depoits for weeks on the last 2 places i have lived.

the quickest was to get your money back is tell your landlord you have been on to threshold and they are intrested in helping you out.

that is of course unless you left the place in a state

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back