Leaving a flat/house/apt/whatever (1 Viewer)

In the end, I left the place spotless. Took a few hours to do. The oven was easy in the end, plenty of that Mr Muscle oven cleaner took care of it. Meeting the landlord tonight.

The best deposit withholding routine I got from a landlord was getting charged to steam clean two sofas that I left behind because there was no room in my new gaff. :mad:

Seriously, just tell them to take the deposit as last month's rent and skip on out, I've never got even near a full deposit back and I've always cleaned like a demon beforehand.

Aye - bear in mind you're protected by the law on 'reasonable wear and tear' grounds. Mates of mine in london (different country I know - law is apparently the same on this.. any lawyers confirm that?!) had a landlord who tried to sting them £1600 for a small wine stain on the floor. That was already there.

He quickly moved in the recarpetters and have the ENTIRE FLAT redone before they could complain.

Luckily they'd taken loads of photos when they moved in - one of which included the stain, and also were very litigious. Took him to court - the judge said he was 'despicable' and made him pay costs and damages as my mates couldn't afford another flat for over a month.

Do what the lease says. It's a legally binding agreement you signed, after all. Mostly you should just have to leave the place in the same state you got it - if it's in a state when you move in, document it (photos etc) and get the landlord to countersign. If you get any guff from the landlord over your deposit then go to the small claims court.

"Reasonable wear and tear" is written into most leases and means just that. It's also worth bearing in mind that you might have a clause in your lease obliging you to notify the landlord of any damage / breakages etc when they happen. If you don't do this then don't be surprised if you get asked about them by a pissed off landlord when you give your notice....

pete said:
Do what the lease says. It's a legally binding agreement you signed, after all. Mostly you should just have to leave the place in the same state you got it - if it's in a state when you move in, document it (photos etc) and get the landlord to countersign. If you get any guff from the landlord over your deposit then go to the small claims court.

"Reasonable wear and tear" is written into most leases and means just that. It's also worth bearing in mind that you might have a clause in your lease obliging you to notify the landlord of any damage / breakages etc when they happen. If you don't do this then don't be surprised if you get asked about them by a pissed off landlord when you give your notice....

Ah Pete, the father figure of Thumped! Dad are we nearly there yet?

we're moving out soon.
our flat was *filthy* when we moved in, we had to spend two days scrubbing it to make it just about livable in. filthy oven, filthy windows and.......pubic hair *everywhere*.
as in underneath sofas, in cupboards, everywhere we didn't spot when checking the place.

over the last couple of years a few things in the apt have come into disrepair too, we've almost always notified the landlady and though they never get fixed i bet there'll be such a row about deposit

Fuck Schillaci said:
Still waiting on my deposit to come back from my old landlords. It better be in soon, or I'm contacting the solicitors.

Anyway, if you want to do them over, stick sausages in various nooks and crannies around the house.

It'll pong beyond belief about two weeks later.

Or you could shit on top of the wardrobes. They'll never look up there.

Just an update if anyone is interested. I ended up spending about 6 hours cleaning the place and I thought I left it in a reasonable condition. Got a call to say that contract cleaners had been called in and that she was taking 280 out of the deposit. I argued with her a bit about it and eventually she said she would split the cost with me. So I get most of my deposit back. Result, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back