Learning Irish? Or: The Irish Language is a fucking Panda (1 Viewer)

Re: Minor complaints thread

I got a phone-call from someone who wants to make a TV show that reunites the kids from the Gaeltacht that appeared in a book of photos from the 80s (which I've linked to many times)

She couldn't believe it when I asked her to speak in English as my Irish wasn't good enough to keep up with what she was saying

I don't think I'll be getting another call

the shame

I spent 12 or 13 years learning Irish in school and I can't string a sentence together in the language. It's more of a regret than a complaint though. A prod friend of mine from belfast recently started learning and has been going to the gealteacht and ceilis and getting little medals for speaking the language etc. It made me think that if he could manage it then I could probably learn it easily enough now since the sound of it and the way things are spelled arent baffling to me the way he finds them baffling but then i see a page of text in irish and all of a sudden it's like being back in school and I can't bear to look at it. My teachers weren't west of ireland elitists or anything like that, they were mad into the language and enthusiastic but, I dunno, it's just not working the way it's taught, or was taught. I made no effort but at the same time most people I know seem to have had the same kind of experience with it.

I spent 12 or 13 years learning Irish in school and I can't string a sentence together in the language. It's more of a regret than a complaint though. A prod friend of mine from belfast recently started learning and has been going to the gealteacht and ceilis and getting little medals for speaking the language etc. It made me think that if he could manage it then I could probably learn it easily enough now since the sound of it and the way things are spelled arent baffling to me the way he finds them baffling but then i see a page of text in irish and all of a sudden it's like being back in school and I can't bear to look at it. My teachers weren't west of ireland elitists or anything like that, they were mad into the language and enthusiastic but, I dunno, it's just not working the way it's taught, or was taught. I made no effort but at the same time most people I know seem to have had the same kind of experience with it.

Every time I'm in the north someone speaks to me in Irish, in Belfast, in Derry, in Tyrone. We need to bring the Brits back down here south of the border and the language will flourish.

An ceapann tú? "Ní ceapaim etc.

Same here, i was force fed Irish to pass an exam like it was some sort of technical exercise and did not care for it because of that.

I believe if the method of teaching it at schools changed it would be spoken far more. More classes just speaking it, leisure reading it and having a laugh in it would help.

Same here, i was force fed Irish to pass an exam like it was some sort of technical exercise and did not care for it because of that.

I believe if the method of teaching it at schools changed it would be spoken far more. More classes just speaking it, leisure reading it and having a laugh in it would help.

dyslexia is greek. never mind irish, there should be an english word for it too but there isn't. all world languages function that way. people seem to get annoyed when irish adopts words though.

who cares what people in england think, really. what has that got to do with it?

Why should there be a word for it in English ? there is a perfectly good word in existence already. That's that Irish language attitude again. Real languages adopt words from other languages and expand. Take Schaudenfreund for example that's a great word. Great meaning. and English is enriched by it's adoption and use. In 100 years all languages will probably have combined into one tool for mass communication. What a language that could be. "Oh but that'll mean the death of so many languages" language is a tool for communication it's not a mural it's not a painting it's a tool. It adapts or it gets replaced that's what happens to things that have a use.

Sin e, madra. Sweet Baba Jay.

Maybe set it in 2066. Replicants have taken over Arts, Heritage & the Gaeltacht, with the Minister looking like a super-annuated Leprechaun. Irish is gradually morphing into machine language. Impirúileachas na Bhreatanaigh Bailigh Amach as H$="@ABCDEFGHI!!!!!!!JKLMNO". FurN=N-M*J:M=M/16bo, now a teeming metropolis is under replicant rule. But a brave freedom fighter emerges from the hills of Donegal...

Eh perhaps not. TG4s budget mans head would explode.

dyslexia is greek. never mind irish, there should be an english word for it too but there isn't. all world languages function that way. people seem to get annoyed when irish adopts words though.

who cares what people in england think, really. what has that got to do with it?

Maybe set it in 2066. Replicants have taken over Arts, Heritage & the Gaeltacht, with the Minister looking like a super-annuated Leprechaun. Irish is gradually morphing into machine language. Impirúileachas na Bhreatanaigh Bailigh Amach as H$="@ABCDEFGHI!!!!!!!JKLMNO". FurN=N-M*J:M=M/16bo, now a teeming metropolis is under replicant rule. But a brave freedom fighter emerges from the hills of Donegal...

then why ask why there isn't an irish word for it in the first place?

T'was a gag. Jesus!

An aside: I was on the Trinity Campus recently when I walked by an American tourist asking a Trinity student to read what was inscribed on the wall in Irish. She wanted to know what the Irish language sounded like. The student replied, "I don't know Irish." The American siad, "...but you're Irish and you can't speak your own language?" Student shrugged her shoulders said "nope" and walked away. I chuckled to myself but then was kind of bummed by it. I only know a few words and phrases ( I took one silly class before moving here) but the idea of it just dying out makes me want to know more. Not because it's my birthright (obviously) but because it would be something very few people knew so it'd be cool to be one of them.

I would have BSed them. I love misleading tourists.

Re: Learning Irish?

What do you make of this?
Shakepeare's Sonnets translated into Irish by my old Maths teacher:

images

http://www.litriocht.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=4178

Spotted it and bought it when I was down over Xmas, might use it to learn Irish by the scenic route...
I think he's done some Ovid too (Latin to Irish, I'm sure).

"You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back