Learning Irish? Or: The Irish Language is a fucking Panda (1 Viewer)

Re: Minor complaints thread

The new Irish word for "app" being "aíp."

APP ISN'T EVEN A FUCKING WORD.

C'mon Irish isn't a language anymore. Can we just get realistic here, it's a relic that we won't let die. It's like a Panda.

Pandas piss me off. Fair enough they have been moved out of their low land habitat, but, they're so fucking lazy that the cunts have gotten so used to eating bamboo that they can't adapt to their new environment. Now that may seem tragic but they have a fucking carnivores digestive system. They have ever biological advantage possible, they can eat anything they want and digest it, but they're too fucking lazy. The were built to eat animals, they went "meh too much effort" started eating a plant with fuck all nutritional value. They're milk is so shit that half their babies die and they take for ever to reach maturity. they're the bear equivilent of shut in fuck heads who play X Box and eat pizza all day. OOOOH their home is being destroyed boo fucking hoo. Polar Bears habitat is literally melting but guess what Pandas they are doing something about it. They are swimming fucking miles in the shittiest seas imaginable. Turning up in northern europe and breeding with the locals. Take that evolution, a new super bear. Fuck you Al Gore you cunt.

http://news.nationalgeographic.co.uk/news/2006/05/bear-hybrid-photo.html

Pandas are only alive because they're cute and people like them. "Oh they're so lovely we have to save them" Frogs are going extinct because of the pill and no one gives a fuck because they're not cute. Pandas could just get off their hoop and hunt, and live and fuck when they get the chance and they'd be fine.

The Irish Language is a Giant Panda. It failed to adapt for the last 100 years and it's been kept alive by some do gooders who think "ooh it's quaint" keep it alive. No fuck it the only time I've ever seen it used is by teachers who bad mouth you to their teacher mates right in front of your fucking face. Fuck it.

The "Irish Language" was invented by Anglo-Irish eccentrics in the 19th Century.

And they number probably as many as DIY musicians, I'm a musician, where's my TV channel and multiple radio stations ?

fuck you and your shit contradictory attitude to your own fucking language. you are just the guy who was giving out about people absorbing surf rock without having ever surfed. irish is not fucking indie music. irish is a 5000 year old language with flavor from every language from here to northern africa, the birthplace of mankind. you with your heritage on this island have fucking cavernous gift which can inform you about the nature of thought spanning 5000 years and how your forefathers interpreted it. you have inherited a dialect that actually suits the way the irish describe and integrate with each other. all we do when we speak english anyways is slowly reform the grammar till it suits us. thats what living under a cloud of rain on the edge of europe does to the sound of a human being you eijit. if we stay here long enough, we'll just fucking invent it anyways. cunts like you just want to play the fucking victorious wanna-be brit, ashamed that your own people might talk in thier own dialect and fucking shunning them for it. wheres your fucking pride. go and stand in the atlantic till the cold water touches your balls. you'll make a sound, and it will sound like irish. fuck off.

fuck you and your shit contradictory attitude to your own fucking language.

It is not and never has been my language. I've never spoken it. Never read anything in it. I've never cared in the slightest about it. It's like an apendix. A cultural left over.

Like I said if you want to you can speak it all day. Just don't demand the rest of us to get on board and pay for it. It's a language it has a lexicon and it's used by people. It has had every chance it needed to survive and the people who speak it have failed.

Frankly the teachers who drummed bullshit into me like "your accent isn't right for irish try to sound more like connamara" did as much to murder it for me as anything else. And Peig Sayers and Ros na fucking Ruin is not going to fire my interest so fuck it.

It's a fucking panda.

It is not and never has been my language. I've never spoken it. Never read anything in it. I've never cared in the slightest about it. It's like an apendix. A cultural left over.

when i say its your language, i mean its your birthright. you own it. you can disown it and speak american if thats what you want, learn some surf rock while your at it, like a good man.

getting tense in here!

7eurW.gif

when i say its your language, i mean its your birthright. you own it. you can disown it and speak american if thats what you want, learn some surf rock while your at it, like a good man.

It has been made clear as crystal to me over and over again for every single day of my education that it is not my birthright, I was born in Dublin and therefore it has been the attitude of every single teacher that I've had that I was to study the language, to admire it and to never touch it. Never use it or alter it. The language belonged to the west and there is no way that a jackeen fuck like myself could ever engage with it. You wouldn't have grown up with this attitude but we fucking well did. The language and the way we were thought it was as if it was a priceless object, a vase on a plinth in the front room of your house that you gazed at but never ever touched and that's why it hasn't evolved, honestly imagine being shouted at in a class room in Tallaght for speaking as though you were from Tallaght ? Imagine it. Our teachers talked down to us as though we weren't good enough to speak their language then they spoke about us right in front of our faces and you wonder why some of us hate it ?

This was every day when I was a kid some poor bastard in my class going:

"is maith liom mo sega mega drive agus football"

"No you can't say segamega drive so say you like hurling instead"

"But I don't like Hurling"

Followed by the thick bull headed cunt of teacher kicking him out of the class, turning red in the fucking face and screaming at the rest of us. Do they have a word in french for sega mega drive ? Maybe but they don't want to deny the fucking existence of a sega fucking mega drive to preserve the language. It was bullshit.

A certain amount, and I'm not going to tar everyone with the same brush, but a certain amount of "Irish" and particularly gealteacht Irish, believe that Dublin isn't Ireland, that our culture is nothing to do with theirs and that our culture is not "legitimately" Irish. They say it openly to our faces. And so you wonder why some of us couldn't give two fucks about their language ? Well fuck them, don't touch our language but fucking pay for it. Fuck that. That is why it's fucking dead me.

And what the fuck are you banging on about surf rock for ? That has fuck all to do with anything.

It has been made clear as crystal to me over and over again for every single day of my education that it is not my birthright.

And what the fuck are you banging on about surf rock for ? That has fuck all to do with anything.

every day except today??

look, i hate shit teachers as much as the next man. the power of association that a shit teacher can attach to a piece of information is like indelible ink on peoples perception of topics. you'll see it everywhere you go all your life. hate the player, not the game and all.

i've seen you take issue with surf rock a few times in terms of it being a genre that, well i don't know, you hate it anyways because the bands who play it dont surf and arent from west coast america or hawaii etc. i'm 99% sure if i could be bothered i'd find that in a thread from way back. i remember that sort of crap.

anyways, the argument you make against 'irish' (which we now know is actually an argument with your irish teacher/s rather than the language) is that argument in reverse, thats why i keep bringing it up.

every day except today??

look, i hate shit teachers as much as the next man. the power of association that a shit teacher can attach to a piece of information is like indelible ink on peoples perception of topics. you'll see it everywhere you go all your life. hate the player, not the game and all.

i've seen you take issue with surf rock a few times in terms of it being a genre that, well i don't know, you hate it anyways because the bands who play it dont surf and arent from west coast america or hawaii etc. i'm 99% sure if i could be bothered i'd find that in a thread from way back. i remember that sort of crap.

anyways, the argument you make against 'irish' (which we now know is actually an argument with your irish teacher/s rather than the language) is that argument in reverse, thats why i keep bringing it up.

I'm no longer in education so I don't understand the reference there. Secondly it has nothing whatsoever to do with surf rock I hate that because it's a contemptable fashion. I hate the Irish language because of what I described above and it's not a hate the player not the game situation. You say respect Irish culture birthright etc and yeah that is your birth right and your culture but it has fuck all bearing on growing up in Tallaght. Snoop Doggs Gin and Juice has infinitely more relivence to my upbringing than anything you can say in or about the irish language, and that's the language and the people who speak it's fault not mine. They never wanted a "Dublin dialect" that would be an abomination. They wanted it preserved they wanted it kept safe from the rest of the world and now it is. So you can talk about rain and cabbage but not fucking or broadband.

Seriously what is the Irish for orgasm ? I'm not being funny here. every other language has a word for it what's the irish ? I can't abide a language that doesn't have it's own term for cunt or wank.

washingcattle I somewhat agree with your disagreements. I'll just say that the gaelscoil movement in the galltacht areas of Ireland has really started shifting the focus away from the traditional dialects as the only sources of a future for the Irish language.

washingcattle I somewhat agree with your disagreements. I'll just say that the gaelscoil movement in the galltacht areas of Ireland has really started shifting the focus away from the traditional dialects as the only sources of a future for the Irish language.

Excellent, fair play to them. I hope they succeed. When they open ones in Finglas Ballymun, Tallaght, Clondalkin, Ballyfermot and the north inner city where gaelic games and history are a huge part of the local culture and encourage the students to make the language their own I'll be more than happy to engage with it. I personally can't wait to hear the verb for knockadollying.

Or handjob.

I enjoyed ann post's inspirational and poetic reply but thought I'd try a more logical defense of Irish.
First I'll conceded two things:

- I agree that there's no logical reason for Irish to be a compulsory Leaving Cert subject. You shouldn't be made to feel that your success in life will be dependent on your ability to write 2 page essays on everything from politics, drugs, sport, finance etc.

- Also, there's bad teachers, in every subject! But maybe the point I made above pressurizes even potentially good Irish teachers into not teaching it very well and resorting to drilling stuff in in an effort to prepare students for exams etc.

If we can forgive the above two points there's really no reason to get so annoyed about the current state of Irish and the government supporting if you're not particularly interested in it. Ok, it is a minority language, there's no denying that, but why are people so adamant about proving that "its a dead language". Getting annoyed about Irish is like getting annoyed about weaving or people playing the balalaika.

The government is supposed to foster culture in as broad a way as possible, its not supposed to be a capitalist style setup only promoting what the majority are interested in. Maybe if other aspects of culture were treated in the same way RTE Radio and TV would be more like the BBC.

Surely its sad when any aspect of a countries culture goes into decline whether language, sport, music, art or whatever else. Just because you don't have a positive relationship with it or because its not a part of your life doesn't mean its dying or doesn't deserve efforts to promote it.

Stór Focail:
tiomántán dhá theiribheart - 2 terabyte hard drive
rac-cheol sícideileach - psychedelic rock music
pitmhaisithe - vajazzled
liathróidí caca naofa - holy shit balls
Is d'adharca é Thumped - Thumped is for pricks.

Also:
421118_405812139503898_1666908954_n.jpg

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/user6744674/on-taobh-tuathail-amach-k-la[/sc]

Excellent, fair play to them. I hope they succeed. When they open ones in Finglas Ballymun, Tallaght, Clondalkin, Ballyfermot and the north inner city where gaelic games and history are a huge part of the local culture and encourage the students to make the language their own I'll be more than happy to engage with it. I personally can't wait to hear the verb for knockadollying.

Or handjob.

Well there's Gaelscoil Bhaile Munna in Ballymun, there's Gaelscoil Uí Earcáin in Finglas, Scoil Santain in Tallaght, Gaelscoil na Camóige and Gaelscoil Chluain Dolcáin in Clondalkin. Nothing for Ballyer I'm afraid. There's also Gaelscoil Míde in Kilbarrack, Gaelscoil Bharra in Cabra and several others on the northside of Dublin and North County. I think in 20 years time things will genuinely be different with regard to Irish proficiency and utility in Dublin. I'm hoping anyway. Not that it matters but sure I'm hoping.

postlaimh.

Scoil Santain in Tallaght,

postlaimh.

I was very briefly a student there during the stage when there either wasn't a school or wasn't a place available in Killinarden. If it's the same as it was 25 years ago (and I hope to christ it's not) it's a fucking hell hole. I left after a teacher idiotically positioned with a kettle of boiling water under the spot where we hung our coats which lead to scalding my ankle. This was after my Ma went through her for a fucking shortcut because she "corrected" her on the spelling of my name on a sick note. Suffice to say it sure as fuck was not a forward thinking school at the time.

and I see what you did there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back