Learning Irish? Or: The Irish Language is a fucking Panda (1 Viewer)

Re: Minor complaints thread

titim an lamh

While I admire what you're doing here it's still just translating an English or actually Irish phrase I've used it over here and Londoners look at me like I'm insane and that's part of this debate in a huge way. Dialects don't destroy languages they, improve languages they expand the lexicon. Brits do not understand phrases like "bold child" or "grand cup of tea". There are more but I can't think of them right now. There's a huge value in coloquelism and where I'm from that has been beaten out of us with regard to the irish language. To it's detrement. See what we've missed out on in the irish language is the ability to really express ourselves. So for example the only truly irish phrase I can think of to do with smut and frankly I live almost exclusively on smut, is this

Bhuale Cracain ?

(excuse the spelling here there is no irish for dyslexia either or if there is I don't know it, amadan seemed to be the only thing I ever heard)

Rolls off the tongue like an Irish ride doesn't it ?

It's supposed to mean "banging skin" there's just not enough of this kind of thing doing the rounds.

English is fucked too, don't get me wrong, I H8 txting, it has f*ckd da language 4eva IMHO. But with Irish it was the people who were supposed to be teaching it who fucked it. They've been killing it for years. So like a Panda it's now a desperate situation trying to reserect it.

Did ye ever think of getting together in a room and debating this (civil like) and videoing it and selling it to TG4?

If we're doing anything it will be making an Irish Language TV show set in a fictional west coast city which has it's own completely new dialect. Kind of like The Wire-speak.

While I admire what you're doing here it's still just translating an English or actually Irish phrase I've used it over here and Londoners look at me like I'm insane and that's part of this debate in a huge way. Dialects don't destroy languages they, improve languages they expand the lexicon. Brits do not understand phrases like "bold child" or "grand cup of tea". There are more but I can't think of them right now. There's a huge value in coloquelism and where I'm from that has been beaten out of us with regard to the irish language. To it's detrement. See what we've missed out on in the irish language is the ability to really express ourselves. So for example the only truly irish phrase I can think of to do with smut and frankly I live almost exclusively on smut, is this

Bhuale Cracain ?

(excuse the spelling here there is no irish for dyslexia either or if there is I don't know it, amadan seemed to be the only thing I ever heard)

Rolls off the tongue like an Irish ride doesn't it ?

It's supposed to mean "banging skin" there's just not enough of this kind of thing doing the rounds.

English is fucked too, don't get me wrong, I H8 txting, it has f*ckd da language 4eva IMHO. But with Irish it was the people who were supposed to be teaching it who fucked it. They've been killing it for years. So like a Panda it's now a desperate situation trying to reserect it.

dyslexia is greek. never mind irish, there should be an english word for it too but there isn't. all world languages function that way. people seem to get annoyed when irish adopts words though.

who cares what people in england think, really. what has that got to do with it?

If we're doing anything it will be making an Irish Language TV show set in a fictional west coast city which has it's own completely new dialect. Kind of like The Wire-speak.

Maybe set it in 2066. Replicants have taken over Arts, Heritage & the Gaeltacht, with the Minister looking like a super-annuated Leprechaun. Irish is gradually morphing into machine language. Impirúileachas na Bhreatanaigh Bailigh Amach as H$="@ABCDEFGHI!!!!!!!JKLMNO". FurN=N-M*J:M=M/16bo, now a teeming metropolis is under replicant rule. But a brave freedom fighter emerges from the hills of Donegal...

It is not and never has been my language. I've never spoken it. Never read anything in it. I've never cared in the slightest about it. It's like an apendix. A cultural left over.

Like I said if you want to you can speak it all day. Just don't demand the rest of us to get on board and pay for it. It's a language it has a lexicon and it's used by people. It has had every chance it needed to survive and the people who speak it have failed.

Frankly the teachers who drummed bullshit into me like "your accent isn't right for irish try to sound more like connamara" did as much to murder it for me as anything else. And Peig Sayers and Ros na fucking Ruin is not going to fire my interest so fuck it.

It's a fucking panda.

Bring back de-rep.

One of the posters on another board said this in connection with the compulsory Gaeilge debate a few years ago - the idea always stuck with me.

someone on another board a long time ago said:
But people forget things quite quickly. Consider, as a brief example, the point raised by Ciaran Carson in "Last Night's Fun". He writes about how the Irish term used for his possession of his flute translates as "the flute that is at me" rather than "the flute that belongs to me". That reflects a markedly different cultural attitude to the ownership of goods that is easily erased by a change of language.

In the last episode of Human Planet on the Beeb, a Mongolian hunter explained that Mongolian horses aren't given names. They are known by the colour patterns they carry, and so the Mongolian language has over 50 words to describe the colour distribution on horses.

English has no direct equivalent to the phrase Joie de vivre, and so borrows from the French.

Languages convey the weltanschauung of a culture, and reinforce it in successive generations by defining the norms for their expression.

Of course, people are the ultimate repositories in this model. But languages remember things about us after we've forgotten them.

In fact http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-English is a very interesting read.

For example, we don't realise it because we've been thought the languauge from an early age but there is no direct Irish equivalent of the words Yes and No. The closest you can get is "It is" or "It isn't".

Things like that and the "Ta se agamsa" thing quoted above say something very profound about the culture that created the language.

great book:

9780717140398.jpg

It is not and never has been my language. I've never spoken it. Never read anything in it. I've never cared in the slightest about it. It's like an apendix. A cultural left over.

Like I said if you want to you can speak it all day. Just don't demand the rest of us to get on board and pay for it. It's a language it has a lexicon and it's used by people. It has had every chance it needed to survive and the people who speak it have failed.

Frankly the teachers who drummed bullshit into me like "your accent isn't right for irish try to sound more like connamara" did as much to murder it for me as anything else. And Peig Sayers and Ros na fucking Ruin is not going to fire my interest so fuck it.

It's a fucking panda.

An aside: I was on the Trinity Campus recently when I walked by an American tourist asking a Trinity student to read what was inscribed on the wall in Irish. She wanted to know what the Irish language sounded like. The student replied, "I don't know Irish." The American siad, "...but you're Irish and you can't speak your own language?" Student shrugged her shoulders said "nope" and walked away. I chuckled to myself but then was kind of bummed by it. I only know a few words and phrases ( I took one silly class before moving here) but the idea of it just dying out makes me want to know more. Not because it's my birthright (obviously) but because it would be something very few people knew so it'd be cool to be one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back