language trends, LOIKE (1 Viewer)

Starting a sentence with "basically". I hate it but find myself doing it and have to give myself a "reality check".

Everytime i hear someone say "done" instead of "did" I boil inside. It is as bad as "CD's" or "DVD'S".

Anthony said:
Starting a sentence with "basically". I hate it but find myself doing it and have to give myself a "reality check".

Everytime i hear someone say "done" instead of "did" I boil inside. It is as bad as "CD's" or "DVD'S".

I sometimes say done instead of did, and seen instead of saw (again, mostly in work). I'm articulate and educated and come from rural parents in a nice middle class area and all of my mates are quite posh. What a sap. I just love the old Dublin accent/dialect.

Hey Anthony. What's the cds dvds thing?

pete said:
nobody ever says "cat" when referring to something bad anymore (ref: "it's cat when the dog dies

my ma does..i say dude all the time..it started with a mate in college and now its just stuck..and some bitch commented on it in my class the other day..and i know it sounds shit like...
oh and i saw like way too much..

I haven't heard anyone say "exsqueeze me, baking soda" or whatever the fuck that was since before the millennium. Or for that matter anyone slagging someone by saying for example, (if the person's name was Stephen) "Stephen, the bephen, the big fat wephen".

muffin said:
my ma does..i say dude all the time..it started with a mate in college and now its just stuck..and some bitch commented on it in my class the other day..and i know it sounds shit like...
me too. started as an irony-laden thing and never stopped.

words i use that i'm not too sure about, but just can't help spitting out:

"dude"
"shizzle"
"whatevz"
"yo"
"totally"
"rock"
"rockin"
the suffix "-tastic"
"dork" (i like this one at the moment though)

when you catch yourself saying "yeah, dude, it was totally rocktastic, but whatevz" you know it's gone too far. you have to turn around and punch yourself in the face.

i say 'man' alot... and have done for years.... also 'rock on' but in a matter of fact kind of way....
if i meet someone from dublin (who I know) I often say 'howya bud' or 'wot's da story, bud?' with my best attempt at a jackeen accent .... or sometimes to people not from das kapital....
dublin jackeen... now where does that come from?

I speak with lots of bogger slang so as a person trying to speak proper might say:

Jesus, you would think that she would get a decent pram for the baby.

My speak:
Jaysus you'd think she get a fucking daycent pram for the babby now wouldnt ya!!

I think Jackeen comes from the idea that dubs are all west-brits or brit wannabes (!!) who fly the union jack every time the british monarchy come to visit.
We're sell-outs BASICALLY loike.

Not sure about that CD's thing - it might be correct being that the D is not the real end of the word. Rage against disc's instead.

chickenham said:
I think Jackeen comes from the idea that dubs are all west-brits or brit wannabes (!!) who fly the union jack every time the british monarchy come to visit.
We're sell-outs BASICALLY loike.

Not sure about that CD's thing - it might be correct being that the D is not the real end of the word. Rage against disc's instead.

No, Jackeen comes from 'Jack' as in a sterotypically English name and the postfix -een, meaning small, so it's a small English person, or someone who wishes they were English, though I prefer Seoneen; Little John.

in hong kong, all the chinese people say laaaaaaa, which kind of adds emphasis to the end of a sentence. this suits me perfectly of course, becaus of my lovely name. but now i say la after fucking everything. they also say 'okla' when they agree with you and i find myself doing this more and more too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back