language trends, LOIKE (1 Viewer)

i said *t'ra* when leaving work the other day.

i've started saying "there we are" when reaching casual agreement with a client.

fuck. sake.

I do curse but I'm fairly conscious of who i do it around. i do like using funny expressions & whatnot, probably more than the average person. oh, and i do wear dubarrys.

I can't believe no-one's mentioned "In anyways". Best expression ever, especially since people who use can only go completely overboard and tack it onto the end of EVERY sentence.

I'm with Tom when it comes to using dopey American slang. For years I ended every sentence with "dude" but I think I've cut back, or else just don't notice anymore. I have stopped speaking in the "izzle" tense, Thank God. However, I do use the word "Rock!" all too often as a complete sentence. Also, whenever someone asks me a question to which my response is positive, I have taken to making a gesture not unlike this one .|..|rather than answering. It started off as a way of communicating whilst eating but now this thing's become bigger than I am.

Adding a phrase to your vocabulary for ironic value is a slippery slope; my most notable one is the entire summer I spent saying "That's so hot right now!"

Chiggedy check ya later :rolleyes: , for serious.

nope, it's definitely not cd's, just like it's definitely not potatoe's.

chickenham said:
I think Jackeen comes from the idea that dubs are all west-brits or brit wannabes (!!) who fly the union jack every time the british monarchy come to visit.
We're sell-outs BASICALLY loike.

Not sure about that CD's thing - it might be correct being that the D is not the real end of the word. Rage against disc's instead.

I used to think it was funny to type 'Jaykers' and 'Jayney' in posts but now I'm using them in real life too...not good.

When agreeing with people I keep saying 'sounds good to me' like a prick.

Beanstalk said:
I used to think it was funny to type 'Jaykers' and 'Jayney' in posts but now I'm using them in real life too...not good.

When agreeing with people I keep saying 'sounds good to me' like a prick.

When someone tells me something that I have absolutely no interest and nothing to say about, I tilt my head and go "Oh, word?" and sort of nod my head, like this is how I act when I've just been told something interesting.

Due to an abundance of playin grand theft auto while pissed, my flatmate and I are now incapable of talking to each other without adopting mexican gangster voices and saying 'muthafucka what? muthafucka please..' after anything slightly controversial.

This has now spilled over into work, as yesterday I refered to my boss as 'homes' to his face.

Muthafucka was dissin my shit.

A lot of bad habbits come from talking to people who labour the point. You start trying to find new and interesting ways to pretend you're still listening. 'Sweet, spot -on, gotcha, aye, grand so, lovely jubbelly, no worries, not a bother, shut the fuck up'

Terrible habit of addressing women as "dude!" especially when drunk
Calling people "Cunt" - completely forgot how inappropriate that is, a few friends and I took to using it with impunity, and it has spiralled out of control.

People who begin sentences with "Basically" or other such pointless prevarications really annoy me, I usually snarl something about it not being very basic at all, followed by a long hard glower.

See also: Going forward. Do not use that phrase in my presence.

I strongly support the return of "Swivel"

Everyone says everything twice these days. Now that's annoying.
In the swimming pool: "sorry we dont allow kids to use rings because of (insert reason)" "ok, grand" "y'know we dont allow them in here because..." "ok fine I'll take it off him, I didn't know" "no,we don't allow people to use rings..."
and on and on and on and on and on....

Chasing up some money: "Hi, I'm just looking for a cheque" "can you give me a few hours and I'll get on it and call you back" "sure" "well if you just give a few hours I'll get back to you" "ok fine" " I'm just busy and I need a few hours and I'll look it up and get back to you....... (yawn)

hanley said:
ive also got an annoying thing when i meet people

hanley: "hey, how're you?"
other: "ah, not too bad, how're you?"
hanley: "i'm good, how're you?"

ask them how they are twice for some reason

Yeah I'm always accidently doing that too. I guess we're just too polite for our own good Hanley

I say dude, buddy, man, baby, anyways.
There have been periods in recent years of using totally new words such as squiro.
Also describing people as teeth.
It originated in howth i believe, or at least as the result of folks from that general direction.
And replacing hello with aaaah among some friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back