Ladyfest Table Quiz: Air Guitar for Your Brain. (4 Viewers)

Liadain said:
If there isn't a GAA round, I'm cancelling my 'Menstruating In Harmony As Womyn' workshop in protest.
I'm fucking serious about this. I'm not going to be at it, but it's the principle of the thing. You can't call it a table quiz if people don't have to sit around beforehand going "right, he's a bit of wanker but he knows his GAA, let's get him on our team" and so on. It's the rules.

Thing is, the questions generally have at least something to do with women, and as the GAA is just about the most andro-centric thing going, it was actually impossible to find questions to ask that people would actually know. I did consider doing some camogie/women's football ones, but it's unfortunate that they'd be too obscure for most people.

We were going to have a sport round, but I realised that so few people know about women in sport, I'd just depress myself. Don't get me started on how little appreciation women get for their sporting achievements.
I'm sure there would have been enough commonly known stuff for a round, but again, not stuff people would really know.

Here, I'll ask some now. No googling the answers.

Who holds the greatest number of records for endurance running at the ultramarathon distance?

Who is the only woman to have run in and finished four Olympic Marathons?

B for the Spree said:
grammar question: 'all genders', or 'both genders'?
Surely it depends on whether you think that only two genders exist or if you buy into the whole "constructing your own gender identity and I'm a heterometrogaydogsexual"* business.

*gender not being equivalent to sexual identity ruins my point a bit here, but I think you still get the idea, it's after lunch and I'm lazy

I hate it when you take so long to write a post that Jane gets a whole essay written in the intervening time buh

B for the Spree said:
i did, but i couldnt hear her over her bare chest.
I think it's pretty awesome that Beth has the guts to do what she does on stage. In the context of their music, I think it subverts the whole notion of what the ideal female body is. Personally, it reminded me that I -- along with probably most other women (and lots of men) -- am more self-conscious of my own body than I need to be, and that, as a feminist, I should be better at rejecting the whole notion of the ideal.

That gig really had the atmosphere that Ladyfest might be: lots of people, of all genders, all sexual orientations, just rocking out and having a good time. One of the friendliest nights I've been to, especially given the fact that Cheryl and I knew almost no one there except each other and the friend we were staying with.

jane said:
I think it's pretty awesome that Beth has the guts to do what she does on stage. In the context of their music, I think it subverts the whole notion of what the ideal female body is. Personally, it reminded me that I -- along with probably most other women (and lots of men) -- am more self-conscious of my own body than I need to be, and that, as a feminist, I should be better at rejecting the whole notion of the ideal.

That gig really had the atmosphere that Ladyfest might be: lots of people, of all genders, all sexual orientations, just rocking out and having a good time. One of the friendliest nights I've been to, especially given the fact that Cheryl and I knew almost no one there except each other and the friend we were staying with.
yeah i was kidding, i agree, it was a class gig by a great band. i actually met you that night with tadhg. interesting how many girls complained afterwards about how beth behaved... i dont quite understand why, they just "didn't like it" or something.

can i just ask one thing? i'm not being smart, it's a real question. i'll be surprised if none of the bands that end up playing this end up having a boy or boys in them yet boys are excluded from getting involved with the set-up and/or running of the fest. what gives? i think people learn more from inclusion rather than exclusion. just an observation. if your purpose is to educate and dissemanate information, why bother excluding anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back