Ladyfest Bands Committee Looking for Submissions! (1 Viewer)

Pantone247 said:
you're no girl Sarah.... you're a lady!

*lights sarah's cigarette*
Ho ho ho!
gellar_leblanc2.jpg

This is an actual picture of Sarah

oh pantone Pantone Pantone, we'll have to go back to me being good cop and you bad cop soon, it's much better.

Anyway....

jane said:
I'm not saying anyone is actually physically preventing anyone from doing anything, hence putting 'allowed' in inverted commas.
No, but you're implying that they're emotionally attacking you by implying - in their nefarious, nerd-dominant way - that you're somehow less of a person because you're not a nerd.

jane said:
But do you not see that the very fact that the girl was asked to prove her knowledge suggests that people need not physically prevent someone from doing what they like in order to project the idea that they'll never appreciate it in the 'right' way?
Yes. Yes I do. But people can laugh this shit off. Seriously, the guy sounded like a dildo, like anyone who would do that kind of thing. What would it matter what he thought?

jane said:
I don't feel I should need to justify how I act, but we are all often asked to, aren't we? Sometimes it's along gender lines, sometimes it's
not. But it's a pain in the ass.
In answer to your question, no, I don't think we're asked to justify how we act. Gimme some examples (and not the t-shirt guy). And I definitely don't think it's a gender issue even if we are.

jane said:
And sure, I have my obsessions with minutiae, and I wouldn't begrudge anyone theirs, but I think it's important to think about the different ways people who are into music talk about it, think about it, and love it. And that being an anorak isn't the only way; it's just as perfectly valid as liking a band a lot but not being able to name all members past and present. That's all I'm saying about the music thing.
Well that's not a gender thing either. I'm into useless trivia too, but not about music, usually. I don't have to buy every exclusive release by so-and-so to like it. In fact, I think it takes away from the enjoyment of music. And guess what, I'm male! And I'm not alone in this.

jane said:
Yeah, people can get excited about whatever they want, and that's fine. I never even hinted that I didn't think that was okay.
Well you did imply that when you women say something funny it's not appreciated by men, that it's somehow resented. While I don't agree with this for most men, it can be true in some cases. And I somehow think that you're implying that this isn't okay. But if a guy laughs at men's jokes only, what's wrong with that? There's plenty of women out there who respond emotionally only to other women. I've been around lots of women like this.

sarah said:
KARL, Karl, I can play the triangle for your band
or the thing with the stick that makes the raspy noise, or the thing
that you spin around in a circle and it makes the clacky noise.

Aaaand I'm a girl.
deadly - although: 'the thing with the stick that makes the raspy noise' - are you saying you can play me? :confused:

but yeah - if you can make noise with something and you think all music is over-rated and crap, then you'd fit right in - then we'll show those ladyfeasters!

karljacuncha said:
bah! - you're just saying that coz you've actually heard us and don't want us to play :(

Why do yez want to play at ladyfest?
Just curious.

Yes, that guy was a dildo, but I think it's the kind of comment more commonly made toward women than men. In the context of a music scene that is populated by more males than females -- and I'm not saying that it means all men can be equated with that guy -- it can be less easy to laugh off comments like that if you already feel a bit outnumbered. And I argued that the nerd-vs-non-nerd division was not just a gender thing. It might be more prevalent among men, but it isn't exclusive to them, and isn't something every guy does.

As for the humour thing, I should have made myself clearer. I didn't mean it in the sense that men don't appreciate women's humour, just that when I was younger, it meant that it made me more 'one of the lads' than it did 'hot babe to score with'. They'd still laugh at my jokes, though, it just meant I wasn't gonna be the object of affection. What it did result in, however, is some pretty cool friendships with guys that were entirely platonic, and which I have always valued. I sometimes lamented my lot, but a lot of times really appreciated that I had a totally different kind of worth to them.

It changes as you get older, and you get a bit of cop on. Learning, at a fairly young age, to relate to guys just as friends has served me really well.

But, by the same token, sometimes guys who are really sensitive, who are people you can totally confide in, are the types you wouldn't go out with because you feel you can tell them anything, that you'd rather have as friends. Again, you get a little older, and you realise that if you want people around you who are sensitive to your feelings, those are the ones who do attract you. And when I say 'you', I mean me and probably lots of other people like me. Not everyone.

jane said:
As for the humour thing, I should have made myself clearer. I didn't mean it in the sense that men don't appreciate women's humour, just that when I was younger, it meant that it made me more 'one of the lads' than it did 'hot babe to score with'. They'd still laugh at my jokes, though, it just meant I wasn't gonna be the object of affection. What it did result in, however, is some pretty cool friendships with guys that were entirely platonic, and which I have always valued. I sometimes lamented my lot, but a lot of times really appreciated that I had a totally different kind of worth to them.
It's the same for guys.

helena said:
i am not sure if anyone on the bands committee reads this board, but i'm fairly sure that at least one female member is a criterion for consideration.

your best bet is to email [email protected] for clarification.
speaking with my special bands committee member hat on (it's terribly glam), yes, you do need to have at least one person of the lady persuasion in your band for us to consider you.

record geeks are wrong.
girls are nice.
boys smell.
rib 'n' saucy nik-naks are deadly.
little baby ducks are great.
swans are show-offs.
The final nail in the coffin of the NME can be traced back to when they changed their layout in 2000.
the devil doesn't have all the best tunes, motown did.
jim carroll was right.
there's no such thing as having too many records or CDs.
grammar fascists are wrong.

The Ladyfest is grand old idea.

There's not really any need to explain the purposes of the Ladyfest. It sort of speaks for itself.
People get different things from it. It's a very broad idea.

And it's got some seriously good brains, expertise and experience behind it. To be honest, it strikes me as the most organised group/collective among all the bands/collectives/labels/etc. who read Thumped.

But there's not really any discrimination toward women in Arts in Ireland. There's a majority of women sitting on the Arts Council board, and there's an equal number, if not a majority, of women graduating from Art and Arts courses in Ireland.
On top of that, Irish folklore and literature has always held women in high esteem (think of Queen Meadbh, Kathleen Ni Houlihan, the cult of the Virgin Mary). Indeed Irish literature has regularly referred to Ireland as being a woman. (edit: most of it has been written by guys!)
And even among the Thumped cliques, there's a lot of women who are involved in various different projects.

Sure there's a majority of guys involved in independent music in Ireland. But hey... maybe it's testosterone. There's probably a good biological reason why lonely men buy hundreds of albums, play difficult music and want to show their alternativeness on stage.

Em... oh shit... I was meant to be brief. Look, the Ladyfest should happen every year. It's a really good idea. There aren't many female bands in Ireland and the more women involved in independent music, the better it will be.

jane said:
Thanks, Ed.

I feel i've been quoted out of context.
But you're a blonde chick so i'll let you away with it this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back