Ladyfest Bands Committee Looking for Submissions! (1 Viewer)

»»»gancom: solved said:
But there's not really any discrimination toward women in Arts in Ireland. There's a majority of women sitting on the Arts Council board, and there's an equal number, if not a majority, of women graduating from Art and Arts courses in Ireland.
On top of that, Irish folklore and literature has always held women in high esteem (think of Queen Meadbh, Kathleen Ni Houlihan, the cult of the Virgin Mary). Indeed Irish literature has regularly referred to Ireland as being a woman. (edit: most of it has been written by guys!)
And even among the Thumped cliques, there's a lot of women who are involved in various different projects.
I don't know about the make-up of the Arts Council board, but I can say that despite the high proportion of female arts graduates, they are not well-represented in positions of academic influence, at least in my area.

But actually, the reference to Ireland as a woman, since at least the early modern era, has been, at least in part, because land and nation were the objects of a male gaze. The idea of 'mother earth' producing its earthly fruits is an old one, but the idea of nations personified as female is part of a masculine notion of women needing to be protected. It is meant to instil a sense of patriotic duty. Landscapes are often personified as female because the ideal viewer is male, for the same reason that the subjects of paintings were often female (if they were male, it was to exalt them, if the subjects were female, it was to admire them). Connections between the female body and geography are common ones, though when the State is discussed as a political entity, and connected with a body, I think it is sometimes seen as male (but I have to do more on this before I can say any more about it).

If we think about why the Virgin Mary is held in high esteem, though, isn't it because of her purity?

Women in ancient Ireland certainly had more autonomy than they did in early modern Ireland, but it holds little sway over people's perceptions of women's contributions today. Actually, the English writers about Ireland often pointed to women as the primary corrupting forces in society.

Anyway, yeah, there are lots of women artists, and lots of women involved in creative stuff, and you're right about the idea of Ladyfest (or what it is in my eyes): it's just about celebrating these contributions and encouraging more of them. People can take with them what they want, whether it's about women making cool art and music, or just about people (who mostly happen to be women) making cool art and music.

It's not about citing anyone for discrimination, just about putting on a good festival. And making it fun.

That was me trying to be brief.

minka said:
speaking with my special bands committee member hat on (it's terribly glam), yes, you do need to have at least one person of the lady persuasion in your band for us to consider you.
Could they be of the man-lady persuasion? Such as, perhaps, were a pretty dress, stilettos, and plenty of lippy and mascara to be worn, perchance?

wow, i'm glad i had a half day on friday :)
me and sadie outlaw were talking about this one sunny afternoon... and you know what? it turns out you're either cool or you're not. you get what's important, or you don't. and people waste a lot of time putting labels on things and enforcing divides or perceived divides between people, whether they mean to or not. i think the ladyfest thing is great if it bolsters someone's confidence enough to do something they would normally have been too shy to do. but the exclusion of guys no matter how non-exclusive it is... i still have a problem with that. but if that's what you need, if that's the environment in which you think you'll make most headway in what you're trying to achieve, so be it.

My 2 cents - I think only female performers or bands with female performers should play. There's more than enough female acts in this country to equal or beat an all male equivalent festival (i.e. practically every other festival/gig in this country)

you seem pretty cool alright. you don't get all fussed up and twisty knickers. aoifed's cool too. and so is snakey. and jane. damn, there's a whole festpit of cool joes around here.

i'm not talking about playing, i'm talking about guys actually seeing the empowerment happen so they have a full appreciation/realisation that it wasn't there to begin with because that's kinda hard to grasp for some people... it's like free school only you're not allowed go because your dress look silly with a bulge at the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back