Kids and god (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter RSJ
  • Start date
  • Replies 80
  • Views 10K
  • Watchers 3
We had a church wedding. Wife was Catholic at the time, but did it for the fairytale and to please the family. I was born Morman and active til I was 18 and discovered LSD. Baptized the son Catholic.
Wife/agnostic me/pagan, son/Catholic. Alter boy even. He made his own decision. We even put off first communion for almost 2 years.
Its great to remind him that he's a little sinner.

Getting them baptised is also a necessity if you want them to go to certain schools.

I got into a Catholic school no bother without being baptised, the fact I was brought up in a different religion altogether might have something to do with it though.

I personally would be against getting any kids of mine baptised, I think at that stage their too young to be labelled with any religion. Also, just because they're not baptised doesn't mean that god won't be looking out for them. Just remember God loves all his children equally.

Said this before in the other thread, but my little one's not baptised. Me and Mrs. egg_ are both atheists

here's some quotes from the other thread:
snaky said:
However, I'm just going to put this out there - it seems the only argument, aside from keeping the kids' grannies happy, is about looking pretty in holy communion dresses - that's what it seems to boil down to (I can't see boys getting jealous over each other's short pants and blazers). Why are people so concerned about their kids being 'different'? There are protestant areas dotted around Ireland already - parts of Offaly/Laois, Dublin, even in Mayo where I grew up there were a couple of protestant kids in the classroom. They weren't making their holy communion and if they felt a bit left out, it's not like they were traumatised for life. Even if it's not the case, that it's uniformly catholic in whatever school, surely 'being different', for whatever reason, is something to encourage, not to run from, no?
egg said:
I'm going to be bringing my kids up in rural Meath and if they pick up any of my personality traits they're going to be considered weird whether they're baptised or not ... though I think perhaps country kids are more tolerant of difference (despite what you might expect)

Just to address Ro's point - a kid's sense of right and wrong doesn't need, as far as I can see, any metaphysical basis. For a child right vs wrong is really a matter of practicality and social pressure

edit: If egg_ jr. ever really wants to get baptised, I don't think I'm going to make a big issue of it.

Just to address Ro's point - a kid's sense of right and wrong doesn't need, as far as I can see, any metaphysical basis. For a child right vs wrong is really a matter of practicality and social pressure

I wasn't really talking about their own sense of right and wrong, more about how they can learn what right and wrong is at a deeper level. You're right though, that can be learned without reference to religion. In fact, I would say that the most important way that they learn about morality etc is by observing their parents' behaviour.

In fact, I would say that the most important way that they learn about morality etc is by observing their parents' behaviour.

and God help us all...

I think a good way of deciding should you baptise your child is to put a Crucifix, a Bhudda and a copy of Led Zepplin IV out on the floor, plonk the nipper down and see which one he/she crawls towards...

i find the whole notion of baptism to be quite funny, really. it's an incantation said over a child to rid them of sin they have committed simply by being born.
the whole idea is such a bunch of horseshit, i'm surprised any priest with a modicum of intelligence can pull it off while keeping a straight face.

this is something that really pisses me off. Im completely atheistic, but I think getting married in a church if you consider yourself an atheist, for the sak of a 'day out' is an insult to the people who actually believe in religous element of it. I personally would only get married in a church if it meant something more than just 'fairytale wedding' crap to the lass I was marrying.
So, so, sooooo true! But can me fella's mother understand it? No!

No to baptism also.

i find the whole notion of baptism to be quite funny, really. it's an incantation said over a child to rid them of sin they have committed simply by being born.
the whole idea is such a bunch of horseshit, i'm surprised any priest with a modicum of intelligence can pull it off while keeping a straight face.

I had to be godparent to my niece recently and felt the full guilt/conflict of

a. Thinking the whole thing is just silly and refusing to do it

b. my family duty to just say nothing and go through the ceremony

I had to stand there and say "Yes" everytime the priest would say things like "Do you reject Satan the master of lies?"

I had to be godparent to my niece recently and felt the full guilt/conflict of

a. Thinking the whole thing is just silly and refusing to do it

b. my family duty to just say nothing and go through the ceremony

I had to stand there and say "Yes" everytime the priest would say things like "Do you reject Satan the master of lies?"
i did that too - was told by my brother not to engage the priest in any conversation whatsoever, for fear of blowing my cover. i don't remember being asked to reject satan, though. sure haven't the church come close to announcing that satan doesn't actually exist?
that'll be a bad day for black metal bands.

ok, i paraphrased a little bit there :)

but it was all equally ridiculous and old-timey paganesque

very Roman Catholic in other words

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back