• Thread starter RSJ
  • Start date
  • Replies 80
  • Views 10K
  • Watchers 3
I had to be godparent to my niece recently and felt the full guilt/conflict of

a. Thinking the whole thing is just silly and refusing to do it

b. my family duty to just say nothing and go through the ceremony

I had to stand there and say "Yes" everytime the priest would say things like "Do you reject Satan the master of lies?"

I've been a God Parent twice now, I can appreciate what you're saying to an extent, but ultimately I'd concentrate on the huge honour you've given and just be chuffed that someone thinks that much of you

The language of a christian baptism is very unfortunate, the Church of Ireland one is much better, far more positive and joyful and lovely, some very nice lines it, one of the few times I've felt a religious thingy has wrung thru in my life a little

I'd like everyone on this thread to post back in 10 years and see who got married, christianed, etc, etc... sometimes the firey anti-church rage can mellow with love/children/time and you realise it's just nice to have a wee day out where everyone gets to eat cake as much as any weird God thing...
hey, it happened to me!!!

i did that too - was told by my brother not to engage the priest in any conversation whatsoever, for fear of blowing my cover. i don't remember being asked to reject satan, though. sure haven't the church come close to announcing that satan doesn't actually exist?
that'll be a bad day for black metal bands.
What?! No they haven't have they? I haven't heard anything of the sort. I hope so though. I like when they change things and it confuses holy people.

There definitely is a line they say that goes "do you reject Satan and all his false promises" though. At least they did years ago.

but ultimately I'd concentrate on the huge honour you've given and just be chuffed that someone thinks that much of you

Yes of course its an honour to be asked. but the parents dont believe in any of this stuff either.

I did it because I want to be important in my nieces life and strengthen the bond with the family, not any religious reasons. I don't really know why they did it- probably the usual "keep the older generation happy" reason everyone knows so well.

There isn't an a-religious alternative to this rite is there? So in a way its got its plus side

Mixed marriage here.
Matthew got baptised in the Church of Ireland in November.
It was an enjoyable day.

I was raised a Catholic but have no intention of forcing upon him a religion that I have no time for.
Whereas my wife goes to church occasionally so he can go along with her.

I don't really see the harm in that.

I only got her baptised for the sake of peace. But i wore a cravat instead of a tie in the church. Fuck you, God.

My brothers wife is an athiest, and as such they've decided not to baptise their child. Put the two babies in a room together and you can almost smell Jihad brewing.

Matthew got baptised in the Church of Ireland in November.
Well that's his birthday present sorted every year.

Rangers.jpg

The language of a christian baptism is very unfortunate, the Church of Ireland one is much better, far more positive and joyful and lovely, some very nice lines it, one of the few times I've felt a religious thingy has wrung thru in my life a little

I think you meant catholic here... the Church of Ireland is a Christian denomination too.

Dunno if this has been mentioned but the reason a lot of people get baptised is for schooling reasons, or used to be.

I come from a completely non-practising family but I am baptised and communed and confirmed, and that was all to do with school. For certain things up to recent years (and perhaps even now) you needed a baptismal cert. Stupid, but there you go.

I don't think baptism is a requirement to get into Catholic schools any more, unless maybe there were a lot of applicants and few places available...
I know in the two schools I teach in, both Catholic, we have Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses, Protestants, atheists, everyone really and I've never heard of any talk of baptism certs being needed......

As for me, I think the concept of original sin is disgusting and wrong and nonsensical. I will not get be getting married in a church or baptise any
( future possible ) children I have and there'll be no Catholic burial for me either....
My parents and Conor's parents know exactly how we both feel so there'd be no appeasing them needed.
The Humanist people do really nice naming/welcoming to the world ceremonies...

Fundies Say the Darndest Things

insane shit on here-im sure baptism and original sin is mentioned

#5, True Rating: 4.29
Average rating: 4.77
Rated 115 times.​
Rate this quote: 1 2 3 4 5 Meh
Fundie!
"[about a girl being born with mental disabilities]

This girl is like a leper so what she needs to do is try and find god

if she really believes she can be healed from this state, she will be healed from this state

Most afflictions like this are caused by sins committed while still inside the womb. If she can repent for what she does god will embrace her and make her as human as you or me but if she chooses not to she'll always be like this

god tests every one of us [emphasis added]"

I don't think baptism is a requirement to get into Catholic schools any more, unless maybe there were a lot of applicants and few places available...
I know in the two schools I teach in, both Catholic, we have Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses, Protestants, atheists, everyone really and I've never heard of any talk of baptism certs being needed......

Glad to hear it! I can't see how it could be enforced now obviously, but the Ireland of the 70's was very different and it's definitely one of the reasons I was. That and the whole appeasing business.

Isometimes the firey anti-church rage can mellow with love/children/time and you realise it's just nice to have a wee day out where everyone gets to eat cake as much as any weird God thing
Hey!
I was well past my firey rage days before I realised I was an atheist

As far as I remember from school anyone who has themselves been baptised can administer the sacrament of baptism by saying "I baptise you in the name of The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit" to someone. I would say that Isabelle has been baptised many times by relations, despite never having had it done in a church :eek:

I wasn't really talking about their own sense of right and wrong, more about how they can learn what right and wrong is at a deeper level.
A deeper level? Do I detect theism lurking in your heart Ro?

IF... IF I ever have children I wouldnt get them baptised. I had this discussion in school one day and one girl said that I should do it just to give my child the chance if they wanted to, and that if I didnt I would be being a bad mother! for fuck sake like..

But if I do ever have children I will make sure that they are not ignorant to other religions so they can make their own choice.

The whole parents making you thing is very true.. my mothers moto "with out Religion you have nothing"... and my Da gives me an odd look when I dont bless myself going past a graveyard or a groto. Id have to lie that I got the child baptised. Id be very angry if my child turned out Catholic all the same..

Organised religion is the cause of nothing but trouble and my good child shall not take part in any such trouble causing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back