• Thread starter RSJ
  • Start date
  • Replies 80
  • Views 10K
  • Watchers 3

RSJ

Website
www.gravelbox.net
Myself and the missus were talking over the weekend about kids n shit, we were saying if we had kids, we wouln't baptise them. Ruth's a bit spiritual but doesn't buy the whole holy trinity gig. I'm neither religious or spiritual, and i really dislike the catholic church, so i'd see it as entirely hypocritical to get the kid baptised but never bring them to church or teach them god/jesus/holy mary shit. There's a good school here aswell that has no religious element, if the kids want holy communion or confirmation, they stay back in the evenings to do the preparation stuff and get the service on a saturday.

I was talking to a friend of mine (a mother) who said she was always of the same mind until she had the youngfella, she got him baptised because she said she remembers the comfort of having god watching over her while bad shit was going down when she was young. I can't remember ever believing in god to be honest, so i can't really relate, but her angle is that it would be a nice comfort for the kid, and sure if they don't buy the whole god thing, no big deal.

Anyways, curious what people's views are? I think i remember egg mentioning something in relation to his kids along this line. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

It's really down to personal perference. I have always thought that if I were lucky enough to have kids that I would bring them up as Catholic (I'm an atheistic former Catholic myself) just to give them some sense or understanding about morality, love, being a good person, all of which are covered in the bible (although that seems to be read more by Protestants than Catholics). Then, when they start to question it as they got older, I would let them find their own way.

I wasn't baptised as a child. My parents are Christians but they didn't believe that baptising a baby was fair or right.

They did however pray that God would bless and protect each of us until we were old enough to make up our own mind about what we believed.

Some churches do a kind of blessing ceremony. But if you don't believe then there really isn't any point... surely it would be hypocritical.

it's not as if the kid knows what the jazz is with being baptised. people generally do it for themselves or the family.

edit: is there an emoticon for the face you pull when you make a sweeping generalisation with no empirical basis? pete?

It's really down to personal perference. I have always thought that if I were lucky enough to have kids that I would bring them up as Catholic (I'm an atheistic former Catholic myself) just to give them some sense or understanding about morality, love, being a good person, all of which are covered in the bible (although that seems to be read more by Protestants than Catholics). Then, when they start to question it as they got older, I would let them find their own way.

think id be with ro' to a certain extent here. dunno, a lot would depend on what the hypothetical mother to these sprogs believed; if she was into the whole church thing fair enough.

A lot of people get their kids baptised " to keep the parents happy".

They use this same reason for having church weddings even though they consider themselves athiests,which is really crap seeing as its one of the most "grown up" things youll do in you life.

Getting them baptised is also a necessity if you want them to go to certain schools.

Im in the "if you dont believe it yourself dont baptise"school of thought . but talk to them about it when they ask, and they're bound to ask.

I remember a friends kid finding a picture of jesus and asking whos this? and my friend took it off her saying "you don't want to know about that shit".

Which in my opinion was kind of stupid.

It depends on how the kids grandparents would react to an unbaptised child I reckon.

Edit: everyone said that already, must type faster

I wasn't baptised as a child.

FAINTS

flanders_siffle.gif

I was talking to a friend of mine (a mother) who said she was always of the same mind until she had the youngfella, she got him baptised because she said she remembers the comfort of having god watching over her while bad shit was going down when she was young.

Here's that thread

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=16971&highlight=baptised

quite a good read too... for the first dozen pages anyhow... I said it there, and I'll say it here, my daughter was baptised, though neither my mother or me would go to mass. Her mother said something similar to what your friend said, that as a child she took comfort in the whole God thing, and I don't really care enough to take a stand, so...

Anyhow her mum takes her to light candles and says he prayers with her at night... I don't cause I can't remember any of them prayers now...

They use this same reason for having church weddings even though they consider themselves athiests,which is really crap seeing as its one of the most "grown up" things youll do in you life.

this is something that really pisses me off. Im completely atheistic, but I think getting married in a church if you consider yourself an atheist, for the sak of a 'day out' is an insult to the people who actually believe in religous element of it. I personally would only get married in a church if it meant something more than just 'fairytale wedding' crap to the lass I was marrying.

I didn't get my kids baptised, and I thought a lot about it. As I don't attend catholic mass or that, I just figured it would be hypocritical. I still get a lot of grief from my mother about it. I'm like: "if you baby sit, maybe I'll listen". That's why a lot of Irish people get their kids baptised, I reckon - for baby sitting facilities, so they can go to the pub and baptise their livers in holy spirits.

The only reason I would be getting my kid baptised would be to suit other people and not be different. And this is a bollox reason so I dont think I will be getting my children baptised when the time comes.

I personally would only get married in a church if it meant something more than just 'fairytale wedding' crap to the lass I was marrying.

ha ha ha ha, this strikes me a hilarious

"...stop crying you silly bint, you've not been too church since 1994, what?, yeah yeah, go back to your mothers, see if I care, but I'm having no part in this fairytale wedding crap..."

*door slams*

ha ha ha ha, this strikes me a hilarious

"...stop crying you silly bint, you've not been too church since 1994, what?, yeah yeah, go back to your mothers, see if I care, but I'm having no part in this fairytale wedding crap..."

*door slams*

to be honest, its quite possible at a subconsious level it has as much to do with meanness as principle.......
I intend having my wedding reception in conways for example....

to be honest, its quite possible at a subconsious level it has as much to do with meanness as principle.......
I intend having my wedding reception in conways for example....

You'll probably go to Conway's after your first kid is born at the Rotunda, so maybe pick somewhere else for you wedding.

I won't be getting my kids baptised or bring them up in any religion. I'd like to educate them about it, sure, because it's all very interesting... but religion in practice is mostly a crock of shit.

and I wouldn't relate morality with religion - considering few of them as institutions ever seemed so damn moral to me. you should be able to raise your kids with a good sense of morality.

anyway.. that'll be me. off to hell for me and my kidz.

You'll probably go to Conway's after your first kid is born at the Rotunda, so maybe pick somewhere else for you wedding.

the beauty of conways is that its so close to loads of deadly cheap chinesses and I could probably get a group rate for whatever gig is going on upstairs from kenneth. I could always go to the parnell mooney; they do have karoke most night

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back