Kevin Shields Sets The "Loveless" Record Straight (2 Viewers)

I'm spinning Soulvaki lots... it's great, but some of the sounds really aged badly, the soft focus drums, some very tired chorus sounds on there... still great stuff though. Also digging Lilys first album, which is amazing lo-fi Loveless and yes it's the same Lilys who did 'Nanny In Manhatten serious U-Turn, The Swirlies and Ride

Yeah, my memory of Slowdive was far better than hearing them again... Sounds really dated in places. But give Alison a spin, and all is forgivin...

Lilys first album? Her out of Th' dive like? The ginger fox on the cover like? What was the relationship with Ride?

Ride huh... Going Blank Again has really stood the test of time... Still really really deadly... But boy oh boy did they go shit...

Lilys first album? Her out of Th' dive like? The ginger fox on the cover like? What was the relationship with Ride?

nah nah nah, there is a band called Lilys fromt he US their first album is MBV deadliness, much more lo-fi and clear, but still great, anyhow then they became a kinks revivalist group and did a levis advert

Yr wan from The Dive is in Mojave 3 and has her own albums on 4AD, Rachel Goswell, if Stan Bowels was here he'd be perving it up right now...

Yeah Ride got worse and worse from Carnival of Light on, Andy Bell lost it IMHO as Hurrican no.1 and his current gig bassing for Oasis proved...

...then again i'm a big swervedriver fan.

swervd5952953272544080.jpg
.|..|

nah nah nah, there is a band called Lilys fromt he US their first album is MBV deadliness, much more lo-fi and clear, but still great, anyhow then they became a kinks revivalist group and did a levis advert

Have you heard their album "Zero Population Growth"?
Gets away from the sub-Ray Davies knock-offs and back to a more experimental groove. Well, I say experimental..it sounds like Neu! or Silver Apples or Olivia Tremor Control, I suppose.

Just remembered two other shoe-gazers I liked. Medicine and Drop Nineteens. I think the former were in that movie 'The Crow' actually.

Shot Forth Self Living and Delaware both great great records
Both their follow ups were weak

I nearly bought a shred-master cause guitar geek say Kev had one, though after years in college trying emulate the sound I'm fairly happy it's never going to happen... took him two years like...

Again with the downtuning :)
Did you try downtuning? To my ears the guitars on Loveless sound like they're tuned down about 2 semitones.

This makes me wanna reread "My Magpie Eyes Are Hungry For The Prize", a history of Creation. I don't know where the fook my copy is though. It was a really interesting book up 'til they signed Oasis.

fantastic read, awkward for the bus / train as it's so big though,
Aye, they should have serialised it. Took it to france with me when it came out, the bloody thing took up half my luggage. Ended up reading it in a three day binge and binning it so i could bring home a few crates of wine.

And Acetone's Cindy's only ace.

I still really don't like Loveless that much... never really got my head around it, but that article is brilliant. Alan McGee is such an unmitigated cunt... he's one of the few people who annoys me with nearly everything he says, despite the fact that he reall shouldn't.

never saw that article before, thanks for posting it. i think the reason i love loveless is because it was so different to their previous stuff - but i like the direction they took with it.
anyway, kevin's a bit of a rambler isnt he!

Yeah I don't think Loveless is capable of dating. It's too unusual or something. As for Shoegaze, a lot of that chapterhouse/pale saints/slowdive stuff sounds really dated. However, in my humble opinion one of the best albums of that time is Everything's Alright Forever by The Boo Radleys which still sounds great whenever I give it a spin.

::clef:: Oh you've got blue eyes
Oh you've got green eyes
Oh you've got grey... eyes ::clef::

Slightly disgusted Loveless doesn't have 50 guitars on each song. I totally believed that. Fuck it. Good interview though. Can't stand Alan MeGee either. Although the JAMC did lose a lot when they left Creation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back