John Peel Dead (3 Viewers)

magnetize said:

sorry, did the link not work?

David Gedge of The Wedding Present and Cinerama said:

"We are shocked and distraught to hear the news. Aside from the fact that he presented the most challenging and entertaining program on the radio, as everyone who looks at this web site already knows, he was a huge influence on my life and musical tastes. Both Sally and I have gotten to know John and his wife, Sheila, well over the last twenty years and can honestly say that we'd be hard pressed to name warmer, nicer people. Our thoughts are with her and the family.

"He will be remembered for the huge number of great artists that he brought to the attention of the listening public. He was not a careerist and he was not affected by marketing campaigns. If he liked records, he played them on the radio. As a result, you heard music on his show that you would not hear anywhere else. His passing has a created a void in British culture.

"I've rarely missed a programme since the late seventies; if I've ever been away, friends have taped it for me. I'm so used to hearing his voice that it feels like I've lost a member of my own family. I know many people will feel like that. John's show was much more than just a radio show. This is an unbelievably sad day."

Simon Cleave simply added: "It's the end of an era".

what a shame. Popular Music is going to fall further into the realms of banality and mediocrity without the likes o Peel around to champion it. Unhappy days in a world where John peel dies and the Thrills have managed to put a second album out. :( :( :( :( :(

John Peel gets an astonishing ten toilets

!bog !bog !bog !bog !bog !bog !bog !bog !bog !bog

Cathal Coughlan paid his own tribute:

Just a quick note to send out my sympathies to the family and friends of the great British broadcaster John Peel, who, as many in the UK will know, passed away suddenly today.

It's absolutely no exaggeration to say that, if it hadn't been for John Peel taking an interest in Microdisney's music in the early 1980's, I wouldn't be sitting here writing this, and you wouldn't be reading it, since the ability to make an album would almost certainly have eluded us. Promoting oddball music which he liked, regardless of the business, was what he did, and that was as much a rarity then as it is now.

Later on, when Sean O'Hagan and I were scuffling to survive in London, regular Peel sessions paid many an overdue rent bill. I've always been thankful to him for those things, and, like so many, I truly thought he'd be with us for many more years than this.
Amid the greyness of life in rural County Cork in the mid-Seventies, his radio show, which one struggled to receive, was a glimpse of an outside world of enhanced possibilities and vitality. And that would have changed my life, even if I'd never made a record, so I think that's probably what I'm most grateful to him for. Rest in peace

Would have been 72 today...

peel humb.jpg

The John Peel Sweet Eating Game. How to Play

To play you will need:

• A copy a John Peel show from Radio 1.
  • A whole stack of sweets of your choosing
  • A copy of these rules
  • People to play the game with
  • A bucket
  • A variable speed tape deck
The Rules

The rules are simple - have a sweet whenever one of the following occurs:

1. John plays a record at the wrong speed
  2. John plays a record that "Starts a bit quietly"
  3. John starts mumbling something incomprehensible to a member of his family or his producer.
  4. John reads out a request for a record, then proclaims that he doesn't have the record with him and instead, hopes that the listener will like the track that he's about to play instead. Eat two sweets if the track is completely different to the one requested.
  5. John reads out a request for a record, then proclaims that he's just popped out to his garage to get a copy then plays it (for shows broadcast from Peel Acres only)
  6. John reads out a request for a record, then proclaims that he's just popped out to his garage to get a copy then plays it at the wrong speed.
  7. John moans about someone messing up his microphone settings.
  8. John plays a record then proclaims that he doesn't know the name of the band, the name of the song or anything else at all about the record.
  9. John plays a totally obscure record that is only available from about one shop in the whole wide world.
  10. John plays a totally obscure record that is only available from about one shop in the whole wide world and by writing to the band at a house in Colchester
  11. John plays a totally obscure record that is only available from about one shop in the whole wide world, and its in Oslo.
  12. John plays a band who he liked when he lived in America.
  13. John plays a Fall record.
  14. John plays a track by someone famous.
  15. John plays a track by someone famous AND it is in the Top 40 that week.
  16. John plays a track by the band Fuck, and attempts to say the band name casually in an attempt to make it sound like he's not actually swearing.
  17. John plays a loud, noisy, three second long record that go BLUAARGH then ends abruptly.
  18. Your mum walks in and says "What's this dreadful noise?"
  19. Your mum walks in and says "What's this dreadful noise? It sounds like my tinnitus!"
  20. The end of a record surprises him.
  21. John's show ends abruptly and is replaced by the emergency DAT tape.
  22. John's show ends abruptly and is replaced by the emergency DAT tape and an All Saints record plays instead.
Carry out these rules to the letter and you'll probably need to go to hospital to have your stomach pumped by half an hour into the show, as well as needing to goto the dentist for a fair few fillings. Those who want to play this game with alcohol should be advised that they too will need stomach pumps, mainly as they'll get drunk and start having cravings for kebabs. John Peel didn't recomend that you try it with alcohol, and nor do we. This game could be lethal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back