John Peel Dead (2 Viewers)

spiritualtramp said:
my eyes filled with tears when I heard this - and I am one of those people that never cry.

:(
They played a snippet from an old interview on the radio today and John Peel was saying he wanted 'Teenage dreams- so hard to beat' as his epitaph cos he'd dedicated his life to chasing his teenage dreams and it made me all emotional and like "Awww maaaan..."

There was that great tv advert years ago for John Peel's show, when Radio 1 were trying to update their image. It featured a blisteringly fast jungle track and a camera flying around London at high speed. Then suddenly the music stopped. Cue Peel's voiceover: "eh, sorry, I was playing that at the wrong speed".

What a pity hes gone.

herv said:
There was that great tv advert years ago for John Peel's show, when Radio 1 were trying to update their image. It featured a blisteringly fast jungle track and a camera flying around London at high speed. Then suddenly the music stopped. Cue Peel's voiceover: "eh, sorry, I was playing that at the wrong speed".

What a pity hes gone.
an inspirational broadcaster.. when i was 15 my girlfriend made me a mixtape that included an early smashing pumpkins peel session track, after which she included peel's back ref:
"the smashing pumpkins, who i don't like anymore since they became famous, because, as people will tell you: i'm like that."

btw it'll probably not happen now but the new OXES peel session (featuring an excellent cover of 'Love At First Sight' by Kylie was scheduled for transmission tomorrow night.

I am truly shocked. No one "famous" has ever had an effect on me on hearing of their death. But my god!!!! It really is like a relative has died. I could feel my eyes swell up. A massive influence on my taste.
May his influence live on forever.

I am absolutely saddened and gutted by this news

Looking at my record collection I reckon that I first heard a lot of the bands on John Peel's show.

It was his show where I first heard The Fall back in September 1985, having had a really shitty day in school [just started 2nd yr] and Cruisers Creek comes on the radio. The start of a long and fulfilling relationship....

Loads of others, Sonic Youth, The Wedding Present, Public Enemy, Culture, The Congos, Aphex Twin, My Bloody Valentine, Pixies, tons of jangly C86 pop, some mental drum'n'bass etc. All that stuff I heard via John Peel and our shitty MW reception down in New Ross.

His Festive 50 was literally inspirational to me

I honestly thought he would go on forever - well obviously not really - but you know what I mean.

A devastating loss and my heart goes out to his family

Thanks for the music John

tribute from alan sparhawk

"On behalf of the band, we would like to voice our deepest condolences, hopes, and love to the family and friends of Mr. John Peel, who passed away this week. Mr. Peel was a big supporter of the music we made, and played our music on his show since the beginning, ten years ago. anyone who is only slightly familiar with the life of Mr. Peel would do well to do a little research - this man lived a glorious life. he stands as a reminder of the great potential one human can have. we had the great honor of meeting him, talking with him, and we even spent a wonderful evening in his home with his beautiful wife and family. i cannot express how inspiring he and his family have been to us. they are living proof that people can persue their dreams, magnify their talents, and then, together as a family, make the world a better place. peace be unto you, John, and peace be unto us all."

I feel such the foreigner right now. My heart goes out to all of you guys, these kinds of losses are so painful and the loss hits in a massive way - identity, culture, community, the fucking industry which is in such a desperate state. We don't need our greatest warriors falling. Must...shake...the doom.

I don't think I've ever heard his voice, I could be wrong, but I saw the LP's in the record shop I worked at in the 80's/90's. They were so weird looking, not a part of an artist's catalogue per se, more a catalogue of their own. Do you know what I mean? We just knew the name...The Peel Sessions. We didn't know what a Peel was, but we figured it had to be cool. The Cure, Joy Division, Siouxie...then Oasis...at least I think those were the ones I saw...

My best friend Nora told me that when she was in London touring with Andrew Bird that a producer from the John Peel show was there and he wanted to get Andrew into a session. We were stunned! Not that Bird isn't brilliant, because he is, but that someone just connected to someone so mysterious to us Americans made themselves known in our world was terribly exciting.

We knew that any interest from the Peel camp was like a winning some alternate world's (UK) steet cred Olympics.

I don't know whatever happened, but the news of his death makes me sad...a little building block of who we are has just been chipped away. Now I'm thinking of Uaneen...I actually did hear her. My friend in Cork used to send me tapes of her shows...she fucking played Nightmares on Wax, The Rachel's and The Handsome Family. NOBODY DOES THAT. Crazy.

...and there's so many pathetic radio personality's that the Universe could have taken.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Thomas
Chicago * Dublin

The John Peel Sweet Eating Game. How to Play

To play you will need:

• A copy a John Peel show from Radio 1.
  • A whole stack of sweets of your choosing
  • A copy of these rules
  • People to play the game with
  • A bucket
  • A variable speed tape deck
The Rules

The rules are simple - have a sweet whenever one of the following occurs:

1. John plays a record at the wrong speed
  2. John plays a record that "Starts a bit quietly"
  3. John starts mumbling something incomprehensible to a member of his family or his producer.
  4. John reads out a request for a record, then proclaims that he doesn't have the record with him and instead, hopes that the listener will like the track that he's about to play instead. Eat two sweets if the track is completely different to the one requested.
  5. John reads out a request for a record, then proclaims that he's just popped out to his garage to get a copy then plays it (for shows broadcast from Peel Acres only)
  6. John reads out a request for a record, then proclaims that he's just popped out to his garage to get a copy then plays it at the wrong speed.
  7. John moans about someone messing up his microphone settings.
  8. John plays a record then proclaims that he doesn't know the name of the band, the name of the song or anything else at all about the record.
  9. John plays a totally obscure record that is only available from about one shop in the whole wide world.
  10. John plays a totally obscure record that is only available from about one shop in the whole wide world and by writing to the band at a house in Colchester
  11. John plays a totally obscure record that is only available from about one shop in the whole wide world, and its in Oslo.
  12. John plays a band who he liked when he lived in America.
  13. John plays a Fall record.
  14. John plays a track by someone famous.
  15. John plays a track by someone famous AND it is in the Top 40 that week.
  16. John plays a track by the band Fuck, and attempts to say the band name casually in an attempt to make it sound like he's not actually swearing.
  17. John plays a loud, noisy, three second long record that go BLUAARGH then ends abruptly.
  18. Your mum walks in and says "What's this dreadful noise?"
  19. Your mum walks in and says "What's this dreadful noise? It sounds like my tinnitus!"
  20. The end of a record surprises him.
  21. John's show ends abruptly and is replaced by the emergency DAT tape.
  22. John's show ends abruptly and is replaced by the emergency DAT tape and an All Saints record plays instead.
Carry out these rules to the letter and you'll probably need to go to hospital to have your stomach pumped by half an hour into the show, as well as needing to goto the dentist for a fair few fillings. Those who want to play this game with alcohol should be advised that they too will need stomach pumps, mainly as they'll get drunk and start having cravings for kebabs. John Peel didn't recomend that you try it with alcohol, and nor do we. This game could be lethal...

Sad sad news...
I could listen to that guy talk all day...
Even when he narriated awful documentarys about yorkshire farmers he brought a humanity to them...
His opinion always mattered to me...
A great loss...
So long Peel

I spent last night going thru my records and seeing and playing the ones I bought based on hearing them on Peel.

What a man. No-one could replace him. No-one could imitate him.

A very sad day

xfm asked me to tape a john peel special this week and i wasn't quite sure what to do.

so i decided last night to see if i could fill a 2 hour show with records that i bought as a result of hearing them on peel. was amazed to discover i could fill several 2 hour shows with tons of classics.

spent a fortune over the years thanks to that man 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back