John Peel Dead (1 Viewer)

Re: John Peel R.I.P.?

unfortunately it is, how absolutely awful.

Legendary radio DJ John Peel dies

_39596083_peel_bbc_story203.jpg
John Peel was one of the UK's most-loved broadcasters

Veteran BBC broadcaster John Peel has died at the age of 65, while on holiday in Peru.

Peel, whose radio career spanned 40 years, was on a working holiday in the resort of Cuzco with his wife Sheila when he suffered a heart attack. He was BBC Radio 1's longest-serving DJ and in recent years had also presented Home Truths on Radio 4. Radio 1 controller Andy Pariftt said Peel's contribution to modern music and culture was "immeasurable".

BBC disc jockey John Peel dies in Peru
Last updated: 26-10-04, 13:57

Veteran British disc jockey John Peel has died in Peru while on holiday in the ancient Inca city of Cuzco.

His employer, the BBC and the British embassy confirmed the news.

The 65-year-old suffered a heart attack shortly after being taken ill during the working holiday with his wife Sheila.

Peel, born in 1939, was one of Britain's original pirate radio disc jockeys in the 1960s, broadcasting from ships anchored just outside British waters that won huge followings.

In the late 1970s he championed punk rock to the consternation of many of his radio contemporaries who were still playing rock supergroups - and were convinced the new music fad would never had any real impact.

that's sad news allright.
kirstie said:
unfortunately it is, how absolutely awful.

Legendary radio DJ John Peel dies

_39596083_peel_bbc_story203.jpg
John Peel was one of the UK's most-loved broadcasters

Veteran BBC broadcaster John Peel has died at the age of 65, while on holiday in Peru.

Peel, whose radio career spanned 40 years, was on a working holiday in the resort of Cuzco with his wife Sheila when he suffered a heart attack. He was BBC Radio 1's longest-serving DJ and in recent years had also presented Home Truths on Radio 4. Radio 1 controller Andy Pariftt said Peel's contribution to modern music and culture was "immeasurable".

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
BBC disc jockey John Peel dies in Peru
Last updated: 26-10-04, 13:57

Veteran British disc jockey John Peel has died in Peru while on holiday in the ancient Inca city of Cuzco.

His employer, the BBC and the British embassy confirmed the news.

The 65-year-old suffered a heart attack shortly after being taken ill during the working holiday with his wife Sheila.

Peel, born in 1939, was one of Britain's original pirate radio disc jockeys in the 1960s, broadcasting from ships anchored just outside British waters that won huge followings.

In the late 1970s he championed punk rock to the consternation of many of his radio contemporaries who were still playing rock supergroups - and were convinced the new music fad would never had any real impact.
Aye he was a legend.
thats mad. 65 isn't that old.
i only got into listening to him recently, but it was still the best alternative rock show on the radio.

that's pants. can't begin to map what he has done for so many bands musicians.

sigh

Abiding memory: Him ringing me Christmas Eve 2000 apologising for non-delivery of my prize - a box of records.

Sad sad news. One of the best things about having lived in Belfast.

You never knew whether you'd like what he'd play next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back